Interesting things at driver retraining. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting things at driver retraining.

I don't know if any of you recall, but I had my 05 Goat for about a month, with every Johnnycomelately ricerwingwhatever car wanting to race me. I've had M3's come along side about 75 mph and downshift into 3rd, Jettas tailgating etc., so I ended up getting provoked into racing one, and wound up with 2 counts of reckless (110 in a 65 and racing). So my sentence to keep my license was to attend a 4 hour driver retraining (total waste of my time and 60 bucks btw). So part of the class is everyone reciting their various offenses, and why they were there. Most of them were pretty minor, and they got to me, I mentioned that, I felt like a criminal in comparison. I bought this really fast car and everyone was always trying to race me in it, and how I finally got provoked and raced a guy and ended up here in this class. Well, at the end of the class, as we were turning in our little quizzes, 4 guys come over to me and want to know what this car was that I bought. Appears they were all ricer racers. Told one I had a 05 GTO, at which point one guy told me he wasted an 04 with his SRT 4 with this that and the other thing bolted on it. Another guy asked me if I had a Porsche Mercedes or a BMW, and I told him, no, 05 GTO....he's like oh......OHHHH! those cars are fast..! Another guy had to tell me about his killer Honda with nitrous and all this other bullsheet. The thing was, even in this class, guys wanted to know what I drove, and it was like they wanted to leave the class and go race me?! WTF?! This car requires alot of restraint, that's all I can say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:45 PM

Hey I agree. Young dudes in Mustangs are challenging me all the time. I can control my competetive juices. Kids have to learn the hard way i guess. By the way, I have a 60 stitch scar on my nose and between my eyebrows. My last thought before hitting the tree so long ago was "it can't happen to me"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOfreak
I don't know if any of you recall, but I had my 05 Goat for about a month, with every Johnnycomelately ricerwingwhatever car wanting to race me. I've had M3's come along side about 75 mph and downshift into 3rd, Jettas tailgating etc., so I ended up getting provoked into racing one, and wound up with 2 counts of reckless (110 in a 65 and racing). So my sentence to keep my license was to attend a 4 hour driver retraining (total waste of my time and 60 bucks btw). So part of the class is everyone reciting their various offenses, and why they were there. Most of them were pretty minor, and they got to me, I mentioned that, I felt like a criminal in comparison. I bought this really fast car and everyone was always trying to race me in it, and how I finally got provoked and raced a guy and ended up here in this class. Well, at the end of the class, as we were turning in our little quizzes, 4 guys come over to me and want to know what this car was that I bought. Appears they were all ricer racers. Told one I had a 05 GTO, at which point one guy told me he wasted an 04 with his SRT 4 with this that and the other thing bolted on it. Another guy asked me if I had a Porsche Mercedes or a BMW, and I told him, no, 05 GTO....he's like oh......OHHHH! those cars are fast..! Another guy had to tell me about his killer Honda with nitrous and all this other bullsheet. The thing was, even in this class, guys wanted to know what I drove, and it was like they wanted to leave the class and go race me?! WTF?! This car requires alot of restraint, that's all I can say.
No tickets as of yet but I am bound to get one......

Florida wants to pass a law that if you are caught "racing" you can be punished with fines, your car will be impounded and you can spend up to 1 year in jail. Nice. You CAN however be too old to drive and drive through a McDonalds killing some people because you thought your car was in reverse. I guess the car going over the parking block, and then the sidewalk didnt give a clue to let up off the gas. When was the last time you accelerated with enough power to do all that just to back up? You can also pull out in front of people and not accelerate, drive 40 in a 55 in the passing lane and last but not least mow down a heard of bicyclists killing many because you passed out at the wheel due to all the meds you are on to keep you alive. You can do all these things, but dont get caught red light racing a guy to 60, or you will loose your car and go to jail.

Sorry for the rant and I hope I didnt offend anyone, but I did just drive to the office.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck

Florida wants to pass a law that if you are caught "racing" you can be punished with fines, your car will be impounded and you can spend up to 1 year in jail. Nice. You CAN however be too old to drive and drive through a McDonalds killing some people because you thought your car was in reverse. I guess the car going over the parking block, and then the sidewalk didnt give a clue to let up off the gas. When was the last time you accelerated with enough power to do all that just to back up? You can also pull out in front of people and not accelerate, drive 40 in a 55 in the passing lane and last but not least mow down a heard of bicyclists killing many because you passed out at the wheel due to all the meds you are on to keep you alive. You can do all these things, but dont get caught red light racing a guy to 60, or you will loose your car and go to jail.

Sorry for the rant and I hope I didnt offend anyone, but I did just drive to the office.
I agree with you 100%. I'm an older guy 58, and it scares me to think that there are so many really older people out there still driving around here that you can plainly see that they shouldn't be. We took my Dads car away from him a few years back due to him getting into more and more fender benders. And recently got my father-in-law to do the same because he to was banging into everything. We just didn't want them to hurt anybody.

I already told my wife to do the same to me if I ever get like that. I see how bad those people are and I'll be there someday soon myself. I don't want to have an accident or be the cause of one. BTW, my wife is 9 yrs. younger than me, and a real good driver. So I'll just ride shotgun when the time comes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Skill test should be given at each renewal after 75.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck

Add to that reading the newspaper, eating a meal, being more concerned about what your kids are doing in the back, talking on a cell phone, and blowing through red lights because you are too important to stop when the light turns. At least the majority of people doing a quick burst to 60 or so are paying attention to what's around them. It is dangerous, but there are other things listed here equally as dangerous and there isn't a penalty at all for most of those activities.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:00 PM

I hate to say it but the street racers aside from speeding are far safer drivers than 90% of the other retards on the road, I use to be a cop and spent a fair portion of my time chasing them in and out of uniform, not 1 single time did I see one of them get in an accident. The biggest reason for this is that they are 100% focused on what is going on around them, any of you racers know what im talking about, I have lost count of how many accidents I have seen just due to people smoking and around 30% of those someone lost there life and it never seems to be the ass that caused the accident.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:52 PM

I got a ticket in my old car (VERY loud and fast SRT-4) and the cop was trying to tell me I was street racing....... it was 2 a.m. and a friend of mine came over, he wanted to see how she ran, so I took him out for a "spin" (pulled her up to 150ish..). On the way back, we are next to an older couple and the older man yells "hey, will that piece spin the tires?!?", of course, being the smart ass that I am, I yanked up the e-brake and did a John Force burnout (you couldn't see out the windows ) and the light turned green, we rolled out of the smoke and I yelled, "yep, sure will!". Now, I know that it was uncalled for but the cop said I was trying to "race" the guy!!!! I tried to explain the situation (made it worse) and he "let me off" with an exhibition of acceleration ticket...... My point to this is, a lot of cities are saying they are going to enforce more strict penalties for people who "street race", but what the hell do they consider street racing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
I got a ticket in my old car (VERY loud and fast SRT-4) and the cop was trying to tell me I was street racing....... it was 2 a.m. and a friend of mine came over, he wanted to see how she ran, so I took him out for a "spin" (pulled her up to 150ish..). On the way back, we are next to an older couple and the older man yells "hey, will that piece spin the tires?!?", of course, being the smart ass that I am, I yanked up the e-brake and did a John Force burnout (you couldn't see out the windows ) and the light turned green, we rolled out of the smoke and I yelled, "yep, sure will!". Now, I know that it was uncalled for but the cop said I was trying to "race" the guy!!!! I tried to explain the situation (made it worse) and he "let me off" with an exhibition of acceleration ticket...... My point to this is, a lot of cities are saying they are going to enforce more strict penalties for people who "street race", but what the hell do they consider street racing?
I agree there are WAY too many people on the road who are blind to their environment and continually wander into adjoining lanes, stopping on on ramps, or just generally being a PITA's of other drivers. Maybe I should carry a paintball gun so I can mark these "non-drivers" for the other drivers to see!

I had a little fun with a small town cop a few days ago on the way to work. He happened to be behind me at 3 consecutive traffic lights. I've gotten pretty good at street launches with no tire chirps, so I blasted away from the light, got up to 45MPH, then clicked on the cruise control. He rocketed up behind me and I could see him running my tag on his VDT. I did the same thing at the next light and he came up fast. After I did it for the third time he got the idea and shot past me, smiling. I laughed for the rest of the ride to work.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
My point to this is, a lot of cities are saying they are going to enforce more strict penalties for people who "street race", but what the hell do they consider street racing?
Here in Oregon the law is very clear. If the officer, in his infinite and unbiased wisdom, decides that you were racing, even if there is not another car around, you are guilty. It is totally subjective. That's the way they wrote the law. -sweet huh? Legal? I don't think it can be, but I don't have the money or power to challenge it. I just mind my own business, and I'm very careful when I let her go.

Maximental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in