Killed a Mustang Mach 1 R - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Killed a Mustang Mach 1 R

A girl I work with's husband has a prior body style Mach 1 R and thinks it's a damn Ferrari the way he talks about it. I caught the guy going home across the bay (easy as hell to spot, MACH1R license plates) and got behind him. He got ancy and pulled over into the right lane and tried to dart ahead of a car and get back in the left lane to put a 1 car buffer between us but the car in front of him wouldn't let him back in.

So I get to drive up beside him. The car in front of me got over into the right hand land and I crept ahead, not wanting to get to far ahead of the rustang. Sure enough, he got back in the left lane and tail gated me so bad I thought we were trading paint. He did this for almost a mile before traffic opened up and I was able to run.

I put it in 3rd (auto tranny) and gunned it. She dropped down to 2nd just for a second, and back up into 3rd by the time we hit 80. The rustang kept up with me from the 65 mph roll to 90ish. Then I just pulled away. Got about 5 cars on him and then he just fell back, I could tell he gave up and let off the gas. I let off too and did the brake tap thing a couple times and wanted him to catch back up to me so I could give him a wave, but typical rustang owner, he hung back in the weeds, limping and licking his wounds, and didn't want to acknowledge his defeat to me.

I don't know if his car is stock or not. My car is pretty much stock (for now). I've got a K&N CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust, and Diablosport Predator Tuner. It was a close close race the first 30 mph. I'd like to know how the race would go running from a dead stop. I've got a set of Kooks stepped long tube headers, LS3 ported heads, and a custom ground Comp cam laying on the floor waiting to be put in. I still gotta buy a torque converter and tranny cooler before taking everything to the speed shop and laying down 2 grand in labor to have it all put in. After all that, I'll be hunting Cobras and GT500s/GT500KRs, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Yes you will.

Nice one!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 AM
REX

Cool! I went hunting last night too. First car I met was a nice blue '69 Chevelle, but we were going opposite directions and we traded thumbs up. Next was a '56 Ford pick up, he jumped on my bumper leaving a small town along the hwy. I was going 40 in 3rd and as the speed limit changed I hit a hundred by 5th and left him so far back he decided he didn't want anymore, and it was a good thing as we passed a parked cop about two miles further down the road. I crossed into Oregon and did a couple of laps around the next town and found a 2000 Camaro that came up along side of me and an '06Mustang but both were 6 bangers so I didn't waste my gas. As I was leaving town I came up behind a '06/07 Superbee. If he goes right were heading onto the freeway, and I thought this is it... but he didn't... he turned left heading for residential so I jumped on the freeway and headed home. Maybe next week, I'm going to daily drive the GTO this week. I saw two different M5's last week, but I was in my truck both times.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Nice kill. Do you have an intake?

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Sweet. Nice kill.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Nice kill! But what the hell is a Mach 1 R? I tried to look them up but didnt find anything but just Mach 1's.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM

The remake Mach 1's were fast. My coworker had a red 2002 and it was really nice. Never heard of the Mach 1 R though.
If the R stands for racing, then it must have been even faster
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette View Post
Nice kill! But what the hell is a Mach 1 R? I tried to look them up but didnt find anything but just Mach 1's.
I saw a Mach 1 on Pass Time run in the 14's. lol
Maybe the R stands for....My Mach 1 is Retarded.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
A girl I work with's husband has a prior body style Mach 1 R and thinks it's a damn Ferrari the way he talks about it. I caught the guy going home across the bay (easy as hell to spot, MACH1R license plates) and got behind him. He got ancy and pulled over into the right lane and tried to dart ahead of a car and get back in the left lane to put a 1 car buffer between us but the car in front of him wouldn't let him back in.

So I get to drive up beside him. The car in front of me got over into the right hand land and I crept ahead, not wanting to get to far ahead of the rustang. Sure enough, he got back in the left lane and tail gated me so bad I thought we were trading paint. He did this for almost a mile before traffic opened up and I was able to run.

I put it in 3rd (auto tranny) and gunned it. She dropped down to 2nd just for a second, and back up into 3rd by the time we hit 80. The rustang kept up with me from the 65 mph roll to 90ish. Then I just pulled away. Got about 5 cars on him and then he just fell back, I could tell he gave up and let off the gas. I let off too and did the brake tap thing a couple times and wanted him to catch back up to me so I could give him a wave, but typical rustang owner, he hung back in the weeds, limping and licking his wounds, and didn't want to acknowledge his defeat to me.

I don't know if his car is stock or not. My car is pretty much stock (for now). I've got a K&N CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust, and Diablosport Predator Tuner. It was a close close race the first 30 mph. I'd like to know how the race would go running from a dead stop. I've got a set of Kooks stepped long tube headers, LS3 ported heads, and a custom ground Comp cam laying on the floor waiting to be put in. I still gotta buy a torque converter and tranny cooler before taking everything to the speed shop and laying down 2 grand in labor to have it all put in. After all that, I'll be hunting Cobras and GT500s/GT500KRs, lol.
Nice kill!! I love hearing about the Goat taking down any Mustang.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSGTO View Post
I saw a Mach 1 on Pass Time run in the 14's. lol
Maybe the R stands for....My Mach 1 is Retarded.
I've seen a number of GTOs run 14s too.

the newer mach 1s are 4v

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in