Lost my fear of SRT8's - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lost my fear of SRT8's

I was coming home from work going across the bay with my wife in the passenger seat and my buddy from work that car pools with us in the back seat and came up on a beautiful Charger SRT8 that was black with gray/silver racing stripes. It's windows were tinted dark and was hands down the best looking charger I've seen yet.

Anyways, I pass it up on the left straining to see in through the tinted windows to make sure it wasn't a cop and I could see the sillouette of big wild hair everywhere so I assumed it was a woman. I didn't hammer down but did speed up 10 miles an hour or so. The charger got in the lane behind me and got up behind me waiting for it's chance to get back over in the right hand lane and back up beside me, which came soon.

The traffic was light and when the charger got up beside me I nailed it and they nailed it at the same time. We both took off down the interstate hand in hand up to about 110-120ish, by then we both had to let off due to traffic. Neither one of us pulled a millimeter on each other, and I had 2 extra bodies in the car compared to the charger's one. Come to find out, it wasn't a woman, it was just a dude with wild hair. My wife got a good look at him as we were running side by side and for once she wasn't freaking out bitching up a storm.

Moral of the story is, I believe I would've pulled away from him if I had only myself in the car. I've noticed huge performance differences in my goat with 1, 2, 3, and 4 people in it. I'm sure you all have too. I've got a Diablo Predator tune and a K&N CAI, but that's probably only good for about 15 HP with the two combined, if I'm lucky. I have no dyno numbers to prove it.

One of our newer bosses at work that also lives across the bay with me and I've seen on his motorcyle passing him a time or 2 on the way to work just purchased himself a Chrystler 300C SRT8. I'm looking forward to finding some open road with him real soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Nice job. I must say though, unless you guys did it from 3 honks, a dig or something so legite like that, its really no contest to assume it. I mean, I know from facts that our GTO's are just a bit faster than all the SRT8's, but when it comes down to a random "pulling on each other", whos to say he was'nt punching it until he realised you were, meaning you got the head start, and he still got up right next to you. Although you did have 3 people in your car like you mentioned. Good stuff though its about time more of us teach them a lesson.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM

ARAMZ06
GOOD JOB DUSTYMINPIN

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramz06 View Post
I know from facts that our GTO's are just a bit faster than all the SRT8's,
Yeah right. Driver's race all the way.

OP: Nice run. What speed did you start at?

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

We took off from a 70 mile roll (70ish).
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
We took off from a 70 mile roll (70ish).
That's a strong point for the SRT cars. They definately have a top end advantage even though the GTO is more aerodynamic. Deuuuce will know for certain, but the SRT8 cars hit mid 170's ungoverned. I think the best I've seen for the LS2 GTO is mid 160's ungoverned.

GTO's come out of the hole better and run the 1/4 just about even. The SRT's have a higher trap speed. Seems like a seesaw with no one getting an advantage till you get above 125-140 where the SRT cars slowly pull.

Great run Dusty.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 AM

The SRTs are great cars...but i would be surprised by them having a higher top speed. They are kind of like a very fast Brick...overpowering the wind resistance.I have had mine to 173 and was under 5K rpms? SO i don't really know what the the GTO can do...eventually drag/air resistance gets any vehicle. Don't know.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
I have had mine to 173 and was under 5K rpms?

If we are talking about mph... Ive seen plenty of videos of GTOs topping off at 167. Maybe those were auto, but I don't see how it can make such a big difference. 173 at 5k rpm, do you have something done to your car?

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
That's a strong point for the SRT cars. They definately have a top end advantage even though the GTO is more aerodynamic. Deuuuce will know for certain, but the SRT8 cars hit mid 170's ungoverned. I think the best I've seen for the LS2 GTO is mid 160's ungoverned.

GTO's come out of the hole better and run the 1/4 just about even. The SRT's have a higher trap speed. Seems like a seesaw with no one getting an advantage till you get above 125-140 where the SRT cars slowly pull.

Great run Dusty.
Actually 70mph is the dead-spot for 3rd gear. I always give the advice to start well under 70mph for a 2nd gear roll-on.

True, the GTO is more aerodynamic. The Charger's cd is .355 and an LS1 GTO is .31. But you must calculate the frontal area so the total value for the Charger is about 9.159 sqr feet, the GTO 7.22 sqr feet.

I disagree they come out of the hole better. The GTO is notoriously difficult to launch, the SRT-8 just needs normal tire psi, about 1/2 tank of gas and initial throttle to get the weight transfer, then WOT. 1.9X 60fts are standard that way.

True, driver's race though and they do top out at 173mph. That's redline in 4th gear, a 1:1 ratio and the 3:06 Final Drive.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

One of my friends has an SRT Charger w/ a few mods, and it's damn quick. I'm pretty sure he'd take me. As Deuuce said though, stock for stock it's a total driver's race.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in