Lost a race yesterday. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lost a race yesterday.

Well, actually 4 races. All against the same car- a 2008 LS3 Vette. I didn't even stand a chance. By second gear he had a car length on me, and third was just embarrasing. Only went to like 100mph because by then he had buslengths on me. Hell, one race he missed third gear and still beat me. Cool kid though. He said he used to own an LS2 GTO and he is a member of LS1GTO.com. He is completely stock except he has HPTuners and tunes his car himself. He told me he ran the car at ATCO and got an 11.7 run out of it. Really nice car, it was black. Oh well, time to get some serious mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Don't be embarrased by that one. Your car runs smooth and powerful and yes, you can make it faster. I was at a Pontiac Car show yesterday and it was great!. Some of the older GTO's decided to leave the show flooring it or burning some rubber and I can tell you that more than half of the older GTO's were not in tune, left tons of oil smoke, and even skipped timing so that wuld be embarrasing in my mind.
I just went through the gears when leaving and my 05 sounded smooth, powerful and sweat.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool death! But in all honesty, changing the stock tune means that his car is not completely stock. A very good tuner can pull up to 30 hp from the stock tune and regardless of how much he got from his tuning it helped him put a whooping on you. Death to a Vette isn't too bad. It's almost expected if you don't have a few good mods.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
It's almost expected if you don't have a few good mods.
Yeah, I knew I was going to lose but I didn't think it would be that bad. I also found out how weak the stock clutch on these cars is as well. We went from a dig one time and my clutch protested like a bunch of pro-lifers at an abortion clinic. I smelled clutch the whole way home.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 PM

There is one guy that ran an 11.71 with the showroom stock LS3 on the Vette forum. The rest are clustered at 12.4 and 12.5 except for a guy at 12.18. The speeds for the LS3 range from 114-115 ecept for the one 12.18 which is at 117 and the 11.7 guy is at 119.

My guess is they got some mods they forgot about, kinda like the guy you ran. There is a bunch of 08's with a CAI and a tune that are running that 11.7 number. Most of those cars match the speeds of 117-119.

Nice death, mod the crap out of it and go find him again, but tell him it's still stock. Oh except for a tune. LOL.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM

New Ride Fergy? I haven't been on the forum much lately.
Looks sweet!!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Hey, I wouldn't feel that bad. I went to a drag strip to race one of my co-workers who has a modded V-6 Mustang (CAI, custom exhaust), ugh I know. So we crossed paths at a local drag strip. He of course challenged me, and normally I would not waste my time racing cars that equal to my GTO in terms of performace.

Anyways we get on the line, and when it is time to light them up, I accidentally put my tranny in 6, and bam, the engine stalls, and I look like a total jerk clown.

So hopefully now, you do not feel embarassed about losing to an LS3, some of us here have suffered much worse deaths! Just be careful out there!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop_John_B View Post
Anyways we get on the line, and when it is time to light them up, I accidentally put my tranny in 6, and bam, the engine stalls, and I look like a total jerk clown.

So hopefully now, you do not feel embarassed about losing to an LS3, some of us here have suffered much worse deaths! Just be careful out there!
lol I'm not sure what caused you to make that mistake? Sixth gear is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. Must have been something to do with the car, or a "little weener," or something along those lines.

And why wouldn't you "waste your time with cars that equal your GTO in terms of performance?"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Or, it could be because Pontiac was striving to go more European when they made your GTO, and thats what made you stall out while wasting your time trying to get your car in first gear against a worthy foe.

But in all honesty, that was probably uncalled for and off topic. Just joshin.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspantienator View Post
New Ride Fergy? I haven't been on the forum much lately.
Looks sweet!!!!
Pulled up a picture of my old C6.

GM has a 3000 rebate on the 07 C6 with the LS2. They also have a 1000 rebate on the 08 C6 with the LS3. Either that or maybe a C5 Z06 again.

I'm kinda thinking of going back to the future.

The Cavalier just really isn't avatar, or picture worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in