Love it getting warmer in the south - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love it getting warmer in the south

Everybody is finally starting to bring their cars out of hibernation down here on the gulf coast. This was the coldest winter we've had in 25 years (according to the weather channel and news reports) so I haven't seen as many cars the past few months as I'm used to seeing.

Got to run an LT1 Z28 yesterday. The dude had a mullet and all. I really got a kick out of it. I blew the poor guys doors off. I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that. Any ideas what a LT1 Z28's hp rating is? (keep in mind he had an MSD ignition and Flowmaster sticker on the back glass so that's got to be worth something...).

I also had the pleasure of handing a Nissan Maxima 3.5 his arse this morning on the way to work. The dude cut me off on the interstate was playing cat and mouse the whole way across the bay. When we got out of the tunnel and the interstate opened up to 4 lanes (he couldn't block them all) I thoroughly vanquished him. I don't know what some of these people are thinking. I'm STILL waiting for my first run in with a Challenger SRT8 or a '10 Camaro SS. Those will be happy days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM

An LT1 Z28 is around 215-225 at the wheels. GM played with the ratings so much that it isn't fair to quote ratings.

The Flowmasters added about 10 hp. The MSD was probably to replace the crappy Optispark that the LT1 had. Not much power bump, just better reliability. Give him credit for a CAI too and he was in the 250ish at the wheels mark.

The LT1 is an iron block so he weighed about 100 pounds more than an LS1 car too. Stock it was a solid mid 14's car, just about equal with the 99-04 Mustang GT. With the mods that guy had 13.9 but the extra passenger weight probably put him back in the low 14's.

Nice kills.

We were 37 degrees here in Orlando last night and it's going right back there again. High today was 57.

Way too cold.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Tell me about it, I work in orlando. Its gonna be way too cold all week

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Fergy, once again, you are a plethura of knowledge. Thank you. Yes, it was colder here today as well. High 58 on the shoreline.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I have a 94 z28. Its rated 275hp at the flywheel and 325ft lb torque. It is a lot slower than my GTO.

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM

my 97 z28 ran [email protected] best

i had msd ignition everything, k&n intake, bbk shorties and 210,000 on original everything.

i will say ive taken a lot of cars in 1st gear in my maro, including a 04 s/c'd stang once. but by the time i hit 3rd gear its pretty much over to any faster car...

K&N CAI, lightly ported stock TB/INT, JBA Hpipe, Spintech Side Exh. ([email protected] r/t .8800 60' 2.06)
1/13/10- Kooks 1 3/4, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter
1/21/11 - Eibach Springs, Monroe Shocks, EBC Brakes
Soon - "Sungold" PowderCoated 17"s
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
Everybody is finally starting to bring their cars out of hibernation down here on the gulf coast. This was the coldest winter we've had in 25 years (according to the weather channel and news reports) so I haven't seen as many cars the past few months as I'm used to seeing.

Got to run an LT1 Z28 yesterday. The dude had a mullet and all. I really got a kick out of it. I blew the poor guys doors off. I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that. Any ideas what a LT1 Z28's hp rating is? (keep in mind he had an MSD ignition and Flowmaster sticker on the back glass so that's got to be worth something...).

I also had the pleasure of handing a Nissan Maxima 3.5 his arse this morning on the way to work. The dude cut me off on the interstate was playing cat and mouse the whole way across the bay. When we got out of the tunnel and the interstate opened up to 4 lanes (he couldn't block them all) I thoroughly vanquished him. I don't know what some of these people are thinking. I'm STILL waiting for my first run in with a Challenger SRT8 or a '10 Camaro SS. Those will be happy days...
Sounds like you wasted your gas on both those cars

The LT1's were down low torque monsters, before those was the L98s TPI motors. Till this day the LT1 was the best sounding, loudest, modern motor GM offered.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that.
But you did. If you really felt that way, you shouldn't have raced him. Seeing the situation, you never should have went with him.... JMO

For what it's worth, it's been warm around here lately, upper 30's.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's nice here too, in the upper 30's. Plus I have the shed door open, I might just have to start her up again today!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM

4+ inches of snow on the ground today and it's still snowing lightly.
I guess that's what I get for making Colorado my home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in