Mitsu Eclipse GT V6- Splash One - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mitsu Eclipse GT V6- Splash One

There I was, minding my own damned business on the 99 this a.m...cruise set at 80, Starbucks coffee in the cupholder, and Opie and Anthony on the XM. I approach the jellybean-looking ass end of an '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6, still wearing dealer plates, and slide over to to the left lane to pass it. Suddenly seeing it was about to be overtaken by a goat, the weasel driving the Mitsu puts his foot down.

I hate that.

My foot gets heavier. Weird how that happens. He's pulling away. On, no. That won't do at all. I pop the stick towards the firewall and engage 5th....the pulling away decreases and is very quickly arrested. I start reeling him in. The Overspeed chime reminds me that I have just hit 120...but my ear is more tuned to the song of the LS1 and to the possiblility of a Ka-band signalling "Brap!" from the Valentine One. I come by the guy and give him a polite "Buh-bye now" wave as I negotiate the obstacle course of big rigs and farmworker rattletraps that I've quickly closed on.

Splash One Zero.

Getting to work, I accessed the Trip Computer page of the Garmin Que GPS on my phone. Top speed, 131 mph. The limiter of that Mitsu is at 134mph (yeah- I looked it up) so he ran out of balls before he ran out of software.

He passed me 15 miles or so up the road, just before the Grapevine climb on the 5. He didn't even look over.

Ah, just another commute.

Last edited by Groucho; 07-26-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:17 PM

BEAUTY Evryone thinks there fast until they race a GTO!

Last edited by 05_HUMBLER; 07-27-2005 at 12:51 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:57 PM

That's very ammusing!!!! on the "kill"....

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 PM

Three thoughts:

1. I thought all other cars bowed down to the mighty Eclipse. At least that's what their television ads want you to think.

2. The idea of hyping a speed limiter that's a lot higher than what the engine can produce is a neat idea. "Yeah, my Eclipse is limited at the factory to only 200 mph" when it can't do more than a 120. Interesting gimmick for the ricer set. I love it.

3. You have to be an idiot to try to race a 5.7 hipo V8 with a 6 banger Eclipse. Know your enemy -- and learn to pick your battles.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson

3. You have to be an idiot to try to race a 5.7 hipo V8 with a 6 banger Eclipse. Know your enemy -- and learn to pick your battles.
Maybe he thought it was a G6?

A guy on ls1gto.com was giving me ****e about not dropping her into 4th and making chop suey out of the Eclipse...as if I've sullied the GTO name by not immediately and completely annihilating him.

Stupid.

I guess it all comes down to this: When my wife calls me in the kitchen to kill a spider, I don't run and get my .45 ACP.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:23 PM

It's almost everyday some idiot tries to race. I try to size up the competition and see if i should waste the gas, but wind up just blowing the opponent away no matter what it is.

This outta get you to scratch or maybe bang your head on the wall....

An early 2000's CAMRY is literally stalking me...I blow him away, not once, not twice, but a third time....miles later he's trying to get me to roll down my window as he's hanging out of his car right next to me on the highway. So I roll my window down to see what this joker wants. Could you believe that he wanted to race me with his Camry (with rims + 50 hp, plus wing + 25 hp - so they think LOL )

He said..............Race me the 1/4 mile and if you win, I'll give you 5 grand! WTF is this guy smoking!

So I smiled, waved bye bye, and took off like a bat out of hell (for the 4th time) Frikken people.

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to this: When my wife calls me in the kitchen to kill a spider, I don't run and get my .45 ACP.

Last edited by 05_HUMBLER; 07-27-2005 at 12:52 PM. Reason: code?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM

I had a Galant witn the v6 that comes in the eclipse, it was a dog! I cant belive that they ditched the mighty 4g63 turbo for the turd that is in them now. I have a 95 Talon that is reasonably quick and would smoke a new eclipse from the factory.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:33 PM

Good kill
My story is very much like yours.

I ran up on one of those new Eclipses (paper tags) on my way home from work. We ended up side by side at a red light. We both left the line slow waiting and watching each other. Then we both nailed the gas about 1/2 way through 1st gear.
I pulled on him steadily up to about 80 (he gave up). I probably had
5 cars. It's was hard to tell.
I posted the kill in another forum and caught some flack from some of the guys. I guess we are only supposes to race Vettes, Cobras, and Porsche. That would be nice but that's not all that out there. I can wait weeks if not months for a good race against a Vette, etc.

Heck, I'll race a Chevy Suburban if he thinks he can beat me. Some people just need a good beating.

Last edited by BLACK05GTO; 07-27-2005 at 01:36 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK05GTO
Some people just need a good beating.
And that's your GTO Forum quote of the day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in