Mustang GT with a supercharger - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mustang GT with a supercharger

I've been talking to a guy with a Mustang GT that is supercharged.

I've learned some stuff, some good stuff.

The Ford racing package that I was talking about doesn't have an intercooler and isn't very common because of that. With a good aftermarket tune that package can get as much as 400 rwhp. Ford does rate it at 400 flywheel hp. Without the aftermarket tune it's got a factory warranty too.

The weight of his Mustang GT is 3480 lbs with a 5spd before the supercharger. I've seen weights all over the place for those cars, kinda like the C6, mine weighed 3136 and I've seen as high as 3300 for them. I'm going to go with his actual weight of 3480 for a 5spd Mustang GT. His weight now is 3750 with him in it.

He's got a supercharger with an intercooler on his. He's had it to Gainesville and was able to get a 12.5 at 117 with traction and clutch issues. He has a good tune and 4.10 gears on his. He has since replaced the clutch, but will need some good sticky tires to get the cars full potential. This is me talking, I think with 117 mph he's got a 11.6-11.8 car. He just thinks he'll be able to get into the 11's.

The Roush charger has problems with heat build up and most Mustang guys don't go with it. The Saleen does a better job. Or a whipple with an intercooler.

So coming from a guy that knows, if the Mustang GT has a supercharger and no intercooler, or it's a Roush you got a chance with the stock LS2 GTO. If we're tallking an intercooled GT you better be carefull and hope the guy doesn't get traction and then shut it down before he does. Either that, or match him mod for mod. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Are you talking about the brand new stangs? One of my good friends has an '02 with an intercooled vortech setup. He runs a consistant 12.0, and has had a few super high 11s. Which is still slower than the cammed, and bolt-ons f-bodies in our club. Sometimes i don't quite get it.

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Power View Post
Are you talking about the brand new stangs? One of my good friends has an '02 with an intercooled vortech setup. He runs a consistant 12.0, and has had a few super high 11s. Which is still slower than the cammed, and bolt-ons f-bodies in our club. Sometimes i don't quite get it.
Yep, I'm talking about the new body style Mustangs.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Yep, I'm talking about the new body style Mustangs.

Thats cool, so my neighbor with the new white with black stripes Mustang GT with the badge supercharged under GT can be beaten your saying. I know he does not have a tune. Heck, he looked under the hood and in the owners manual trying to find the horsepower of this thing. To top it off he is a mechanic!? So, maybe, just maybe, my goat with a couple few mods should be able to get the stang?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Power View Post
What is there to get?? Different people have different tastes. That's why they make both Mustangs and Camaros...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
Thats cool, so my neighbor with the new white with black stripes Mustang GT with the badge supercharged under GT can be beaten your saying. I know he does not have a tune. Heck, he looked under the hood and in the owners manual trying to find the horsepower of this thing. To top it off he is a mechanic!? So, maybe, just maybe, my goat with a couple few mods should be able to get the stang?
Get him to pop the hood agian. If there is an intercooler, I'd bet he would take you till you get some mods, meaning heads and cam, or at least headers, exhaust, intake and tune with some good sticky DR's.

If there isn't an intercooler, or it says Roush on the supercharger you got a pretty good shot at beating him.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 PM
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Get him to pop the hood agian. If there is an intercooler, I'd bet he would take you till you get some mods, meaning heads and cam, or at least headers, exhaust, intake and tune with some good sticky DR's.

If there isn't an intercooler, or it says Roush on the supercharger you got a pretty good shot at beating him.
I thought my partner said he saw a saleen decal under the hood. Not sure. What supercharger is available at the dealership for installation. I was told this option is a dealer installed item.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
I thought my partner said he saw a saleen decal under the hood. Not sure. What supercharger is available at the dealership for installation. I was told this option is a dealer installed item.
The Saleen charger has a built in intercooler. Looks cool but pricey.
Stage 3 Motorsports 2005-08 Saleen Mustang 4.6L Supercharger Kit w/475 HP Upgrade
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
The Saleen charger has a built in intercooler. Looks cool but pricey.
Stage 3 Motorsports 2005-08 Saleen Mustang 4.6L Supercharger Kit w/475 HP Upgrade
Yikes, I am working tomorrow and if the mustang is still outside of his house, with pollen and tree dingle berrys all over it still, Ill stop and chat with the man myself. Then man owns two garages, one mobil station and one garage that is pretty much empty. Why would you just leave a car like this sit in front of your house in the driveway uncovered....even when you have a daily driver(white pickup truck) to drive here to there in.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM

Hell, I got smoked in my goat by a modded V6 Mustang. That was really embarassing, accidentally started in 6, and my engine died in front of a crowd of 200 or so. Most embarassing moment in my GTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in