my first cool mustang experience - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my first cool mustang experience

Everytime I get challenged by and beat a Mustang they never give me props. Every single time I've confronted one, they've been the ones to start crap with me, NEVER the other way around, and this incident was no different.

I was driving home from work this afternoon, had just merged onto the interstate still in the far right lane, and see this white convertible prior body style stang in the far left lane zip two lanes over and get behind me. I had just gotten a speeding ticket 2 months ago, and was more then aware that they had undercover stang cop cars around here so I didn't do anything stupid.

I had the cruise set at 80 (in a 70mph speed zone) and just kept up with the traffic. He stayed behind me for about a mile then got back in the lane to the left of me and got up beside me and just paced me. He never once looked over at me and gave me a smile or a nod or anything. It was a middle age black dude dressed in some fine duds and I was still suspicious as to whether or not it was an undercover cop car or not.

Traffic picked up and I got in front of him and he got behind me. Then the speed of the lanes changed and he got in front of me so I shot in behind him and followed him for a few miles. We got off the bayway and back onto land where most of the traffic gets off at the first 2 exits. He got out of the left lane and and just paced himself waiting for me. I figured hell, didn't look much like a cop car from the rear, so I got up beside him, both of us rolling at 80mph, and we took off.

I got the auto and don't know if he had a stick or not and don't know if he missed a gear or whatever, but I walked away from him hard. I got up to 130 quick and braked back down to 80 almost as quick and he come up behind me and got off at the next exit with me. We pulled up to the light and he had his window rolled down smiling ear to ear. I rolled my window down and he was laughing and said DAMN that thing is fast! I smiled and said thanks and told him he had a sharp looking car (it was spotless, even though it was the prior non-retro body style it looked like it just came off the showroom floor).

Anyways, long story short, that was the first time I had ever had a stang owner talk to me after a sprint and give me props. Guess they all don't have the "I am Stang, here me roar!" mentallity after all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM

So he didn't miss a gear and just got whooped. Glad he was a gentleman about it.
Nice one!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspantienator View Post
So he didn't miss a gear and just got whooped. Glad he was a gentleman about it.
Nice one!
Love it!!!! I can't wait for my first mustang kill!!!!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Nice! Yeah not all stang owners are jacka$$es...a couple years ago before I went back to grad school, I had an 04 GT 5sp...with full bolt-ons except for headers...it was a pretty fun car, but no GTO!...I used to spend a good amount of time on mustangforums.com, and there were plenty of owners who thought their mustang was the greatest and fastest, but they also had several good guys on there that knew where they stood, and had great respect for the almighty LS1 (the dream kill for the stang at the time). People would post kills of LS1's, LT1's and the informed, realistic ones would be questioning the kill ("u sure he was trying...")...I knew along with them, that w/o FI or some spray, the stang just wasn't close with the GM counterparts...I must say it's good to be on the GM side of things now, I know I don't have the best, fastest car out there, but I've havn't seen another care I'd rather have for the $$...and it isn't too often you'll see another ride that could hand you ur a$$ in a sprint...Nice kill!..always good when the other guy gives props to boot...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Dusty, if he was stock and a stick he had a mid 14 second car. If it was an auto it was a high 14 second car. Compared to your low 13's high 12's, you could have given him a full second lead to 130 and beat him pretty easily.

Next time make it more challenging, try to keep from downshifting and still beat him.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdy's GTO View Post
Nice! Yeah not all stang owners are jacka$$es...a couple years ago before I went back to grad school, I had an 04 GT 5sp...with full bolt-ons except for headers...it was a pretty fun car, but no GTO!...I used to spend a good amount of time on mustangforums.com, and there were plenty of owners who thought their mustang was the greatest and fastest, but they also had several good guys on there that knew where they stood, and had great respect for the almighty LS1 (the dream kill for the stang at the time). People would post kills of LS1's, LT1's and the informed, realistic ones would be questioning the kill ("u sure he was trying...")...I knew along with them, that w/o FI or some spray, the stang just wasn't close with the GM counterparts...I must say it's good to be on the GM side of things now, I know I don't have the best, fastest car out there, but I've havn't seen another care I'd rather have for the $$...and it isn't too often you'll see another ride that could hand you ur a$$ in a sprint...Nice kill!..always good when the other guy gives props to boot...
mustangs are the greatest fastest cars on the planet! anyone who doesn't believe that has really never driven one...either that or they are on the wrong planet! actually i feel like my notch has the same higher speed pull as maybe a ls1 goat but then again it could be my lack of a speedo and an on-the-blink tacho to match. also it sounds like it might be falling apart at the seams too.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Dusty, if he was stock and a stick he had a mid 14 second car. If it was an auto it was a high 14 second car. Compared to your low 13's high 12's, you could have given him a full second lead to 130 and beat him pretty easily.

Next time make it more challenging, try to keep from downshifting and still beat him.

Not to be a killjoy, but that's a little too overexaggerant. New Edge GT's are high13-low 14 sec cars in manual trim, and low-mid 14's in auto form. A high speed roll is their weak spot, though.

OP- Nice kill.....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
Not to be a killjoy, but that's a little too overexaggerant. New Edge GT's are high13-low 14 sec cars in manual trim, and low-mid 14's in auto form. A high speed roll is their weak spot, though.

OP- Nice kill.....
Read his post again SCG. The car was a prior gen white Vert Mustang. That's at best got the 260hp 4.6 that puts down 215-225 to the wheels. In vert form they are 3600lbs and run high 14's in the 1/4 with an auto. Worst case it was like the 97 4.6 that I ran with the Cavalier and in that case he was a mid 15's car.

I'll agree with you the 05 and up GT runs low 14's as an auto and about 2 tenths slower for a vert.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM

I did read his post. '99-04 GT's were the New Edge's and had a 260hp 2v 4.6 V8. Even in an auto 'Vert trim, they're typically 14.3-14.5.

The S197 GT's ('05 up) are an entirely different story. They've gone as low as 13.20-.30's, and average 13.50-.70's.

The '97 GT you speak of was a different gen and bodystyle than the one the OP ran. They had the 4.6 2v, but are known as non NPI cars, and have 230hp. They're high 14- low 15 sec cars if well-driven.

And this is coming from someone who could almost be considered anti-Mustang, mind you.....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
I did read his post. '99-04 GT's were the New Edge's and had a 260hp 2v 4.6 V8. Even in an auto 'Vert trim, they're typically 14.3-14.5.

The S197 GT's ('05 up) are an entirely different story. They've gone as low as 13.20-.30's, and average 13.50-.70's.

The '97 GT you speak of was a different gen and bodystyle than the one the OP ran. They had the 4.6 2v, but are known as non NPI cars, and have 230hp. They're high 14- low 15 sec cars if well-driven.

And this is coming from someone who could almost be considered anti-Mustang, mind you.....
SCG, your off a bit again. The new body style 05 and up GT's aren't a 13.2 car. I've only seen a few run better than 14.0. That 13.2 would put them close to a GTO. Plain and simple, a GTO is a full half second quicker than a GT. The GTO runs 13.1-13.3. Sure every once in a while a guy gets a 12.9- 13.0 in a stock GTO, but that's not the norm. I've never, and I'm at the track a lot, seen an 05 and up Mustang GT run better than 13.6 without mods. Most of the automatics are solid 14.1. To get to 13.2 they need an intake and DR's and an exhaust. Think about it. The 05 and up Mustang puts 20-30 hp less to the wheels than an F-body. An F-body struggles to run 13.2 stock and averages mid 13's and is 50-100lbs lighter than an 05 and up Mustang. Do the math it just doesn't work out.

The op never says new edge, he says the previous gen. What you call new edge Mustangs run 14.3 - 15.1 depending on a few things. The Verts are heavy and lose a couple tenths. The 4A in those cars is aweful. It saps almost a half second off the car. A typical automatic GT vert runs 14.9-15.1. The 97 is the same gen as the 99-04. That Gen is the SN-95 and is called the 4th gen, from 94-2004. In 94 and 95 The GT had the 5.0l and it was rated at 215hp. In 1996 they replaced the 5.0 with the 4.6. It was rated at 215hp for 96 and 97. In 1998 they improved the exhaust and intake and boosted hp to 225. They never had 230hp. From 87-97 the regular GT was rated at 215 or 225 hp and they just about always put 185-190hp to the wheels.

I know those cars. I've owned Mustangs and raced them. I've owned a Contour SVT and been part of SVTOA and raced it. I've watched others with their cars at events. Again, I'm at the track all the time too. This isn't numbers I've read, this is from actual track experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in