My GTO is slow - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My GTO is slow

I know no one can really help me out with this. But i just got back from the freakin track and i am fed up. It was the nicest track around and that still didnt matter. i have the pedders drag pack suspension ( springs 5/16 raise, big bore shocks, camber kit, bushing, ect) 18/ 9.5s in the rear with a 275 bfgroodrich g-force sport tires with less than 4000 miles. 160 thermostat, blackwing filter, pacsetter LT without cats, SF h pipe, and slp resonators, with the slp 455 tune. B&m short throw toooo. and lowered tire pressure.

My fastest freaking time was 9.10 at 80.25.

You know me be a bad driver is one thing cause my car is a 6 speed, but am i wrong in thinking i am about a full second off from were i "should" be? maybe im asking to much. i mean can a good driver really make a full second diff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertythadirtygoat View Post
I know no one can really help me out with this. But i just got back from the freakin track and i am fed up. It was the nicest track around and that still didnt matter. i have the pedders drag pack suspension ( springs 5/16 raise, big bore shocks, camber kit, bushing, ect) 18/ 9.5s in the rear with a 275 bfgroodrich g-force sport tires with less than 4000 miles. 160 thermostat, blackwing filter, pacsetter LT without cats, SF h pipe, and slp resonators, with the slp 455 tune. B&m short throw toooo. and lowered tire pressure.

My fastest freaking time was 9.10 at 80.25.

You know me be a bad driver is one thing cause my car is a 6 speed, but am i wrong in thinking i am about a full second off from were i "should" be? maybe im asking to much. i mean can a good driver really make a full second diff?
The driver mod is the most important one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I hope that is what it is. I hope it is just me. But how can you be such a bad driver that your a second slower than what i should be?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:17 PM

I don't think you understand how much of good track times really is the driver. We have all seen and heard of high 12 sec stock GTOs. I ran a 9.18 1/8 my second run ever in my bone stock 05 M6 with full tire pressure and all. That is still terrible but it shows that your 9.10 with your listed mods is definately due to driving skill. It just takes alot of practice and adjustment in driving technique it really is an art. Just stick with it keep practicing and asking for tips at the track and on here and most of all have fun! I am very far from a professional and I am still trying to perfect the art myself but that is just my .02 cents.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 05:15 PM

I've run guys in identical cars and beat them by a 1/2 second or so. I'm talking in the 1/4 mile, not the 1/8, so there is a bit of time made up on the big end.

What were your 60' times?? Also what rpms did you shift at??

The GTO's tach is slow. If you shifted at redline, you were probably hitting the rev limiter. you need to pull first at 6100-6200. Second needs to be pulled at 6250-6350. Anything higher and you've lost time.

The launch in a GTO is tricky too. There is a sweet spot. If you miss it too low you bog and kill the run. If you miss it too high you spin too much and kill the run and can get wheel hop and break things. Things like how you release the clutch are very important.

A full second is not out of the question.

I had a friend in Pittsburgh that had a 2000 Camaro SS. He spent a bunch of money on it to get it to go fast. He got a best of 13.012 and couldn't break into the 12's with the car. He sold it to another friend of mine down here in Florida. This guy has a driveway that is more than a 1/4 mile long and he practices in his driveway a bunch. He can get the Camaro into the 11's. Same car same tires and similar conditions, just different drivers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys for the advice, thats the exact things i wanted to hear. I have thought about it alot and i realized that a full second isnt alot of time, unless your at the track. I mean every little thing matters at the track. So i just need to get better

I guess theres no where to go but up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Check your recipt sheet from the track. Whats your reaction time? and maybe your 60'.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

reaction .290

60' 2.207
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertythadirtygoat View Post
reaction .290

60' 2.207
The only thing the reaction time is oing to show is how long it took for you to trip the beam from the time the light turned green. Anything below .100 is good. I strive to get below .010 and usually make a .050 or better. That is something that takes practice. You need several runs to figure your cars roll-out time. That's the delay in the drivetrain between when you release the brakes or cutch and the wheels actully turn forward.

A 2.20 60' is a bit long. Do you remember if you were spinning or not???

Also what tire pressure did you have your tires at??

What RPMS were you at for launch????

M6 or A4???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

At first tire pressure was like 42 and i about wrecked. then we lowered it to 32 i think. maybe it was all the way down to 22.

I was launching around 2000, i have a buddy with a 2001 zo6 and thats wat he was launching and he was running freaking 8.1's completly stock.

And i did spin, but not as bad as i did with the stock tires. i was kinda scared after i about wrecked into the wall.

Oh yea and its a m6, and i know that hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in