New to the Power - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the Power

I used to own a modded Crown Vic. Don't laugh. At 2 tons, it still did 15.0 N/A. I have an 05 GTO M6 now and, wow what a difference.

Tonight, I decided to let it go at a stop, where everything was quiet. I got it up to about 3k and slipped the clutch. Jeez, white smoke everywhere. And it was wanting to go sideways, quick. I need to get used to this. Even after I went into second and popped it, it wanted to go sideways on me.

I have 1269 on the ODO and wondered if this might be the right time to take it to the track.

I have read some threads on the launching techinique on this beast and I think I can handle it with some practice.

What do you think? Is it time?

Bone Stock.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinsa
I used to own a modded Crown Vic. Don't laugh. At 2 tons, it still did 15.0 N/A. I have an 05 GTO M6 now and, wow what a difference.

Tonight, I decided to let it go at a stop, where everything was quiet. I got it up to about 3k and slipped the clutch. Jeez, white smoke everywhere. And it was wanting to go sideways, quick. I need to get used to this. Even after I went into second and popped it, it wanted to go sideways on me.

I have 1269 on the ODO and wondered if this might be the right time to take it to the track.

I have read some threads on the launching techinique on this beast and I think I can handle it with some practice.

What do you think? Is it time?

Bone Stock.

Dave
I took mine with about 1300 miles. I got low 13's and then at about 1700 got high 12's. With the heat now I'm running 13.6 to 13.7.
I've been launching at between 1500 and 2000 depending on track prep etc... I've been able to get a low2.0 60', but most have been 2.08 to 2.15. I keep tire pressure higher than most (25-27 psi) and I don't have the wheel hop issue at all.
At the track take your plugs in the hood scoops out and also take the fuel rail covers off. They hold heat on the coil packs, and it seems like they direct it there from the exhaust.
Give the car, in the Texas heat at least 30 minutes to cool and 45- 60 minutes is better. If you hot lap look to be in the 14's. I was at the track with another 05' GTO guy and he hot lapped twice and the last run was 14.7. Don't do it.
The LS2 is a deep breather. Run to 6500 before you pull the next gear, but watch out for the rev limiter. I think there is some type of engine management that even after you shift it holds you back if you hit the limiter.
All told this is an easy car to get 8/10's or 9/10's out of, but to take it to the limit is tricky. With the power it makes you'll beat most guys on the street with 9/10's, but at the track you need every last little bit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 AM

All told this is an easy car to get 8/10's or 9/10's out of, but to take it to the limit is tricky. With the power it makes you'll beat most guys on the street with 9/10's, but at the track you need every last little bit.

What does 8/10's mean?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 07:14 PM

8/10's means not running the car at it's limit. Not driving flat out, but just using 80% of what the car will do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
8/10's means not running the car at it's limit. Not driving flat out, but just using 80% of what the car will do.
fractions....c'mon I am on my break
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:27 PM

fractions.....................mmmmm my head is hurting
turn off the tc also, it really hurts the car when you run it hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in