Newbie on the strip... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie on the strip...

I hope I don't get flamed for this thread, but I have never actually been to a drag strip before and I was wondering what (if anything) I need to do or bring with me other than my GTO and a lead foot. I want to get a good baseline before I start spending copious amounts of money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOgator
I hope I don't get flamed for this thread, but I have never actually been to a drag strip before and I was wondering what (if anything) I need to do or bring with me other than my GTO and a lead foot. I want to get a good baseline before I start spending copious amounts of money
well i hear bags of ice, take the FRC off, take the plugs out the hood, drain washer fluid, take out jack, floor mats (weigth reduction), spare tire. cost to you .... 5-10 dollars for the ice. good luck and welcome from ezz
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:31 PM

You will need a helmet. It will need to have a Snell rating. This is the case for cars that run quicker than 13.99. You also need to wear long pants. That is about it as far as the rules go for the class a stock or lightly modded GTO runs in.
Here is more than you bargained for, some advice. Get to the track real early, before anyone starts to run. this will give you the chance to walk the staging lanes and the strip before there are cars there. If you can get someone that has been to the track to walk it with you. Have them explain the basics. Also it is best if you sit and watch some cars go and have someone that is knowledgable explain what is going on.
Some basics are: never speed in the pits. Watch the NHRA/IHRA officials and follow their instructions. Never do a burnout while the cars are still staged ahead of you. On the tree there are staging lights, you need to pull forward til the bottom pair are lit. There are 3 yellows, a green and a red. When you think you see the bottom yellow light you go focus on it. If you have the outside lane, never cut in front of a racer to get to the turnout, the race is to the finish line, not the first guy back to the pits.
Drag racing is a lot like golf. If you try to kill your tee shot people laugh at the results. In drag racing if you try to kill it off the line you end up overpowering the tires and doing nothing. Just like golf clubs have a sweet spot, there is a sweet spot for launching. If you overpower a drive it doesn't give you the result you want and the guy that went too easy beats your drive. Same in drag racing. It's better to go too easy than past the limit.
Practice is key, just like any sport. Don't listen to just anyone at the track, and everyone has opinions. Watch the guys that seem to run the fastest and ask them for advice. Most drag racers like to help others.
The most important thing to remeber is it's just for fun. Most people that golf aren't John Daly or Tiger Woods. Most drag racers aren't John Force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in