NHRA regulations - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NHRA regulations

About a year ago I was thinking of getting a Z06. A friend of mine was complaining that the NHRA officials were not letting him run without a roll cage and just basically giving him a hard time. That even figured in my not purchasing a C6 Z06.

The difference in track to track enforcement of the regs is pretty incredible.

Gainesville was real strict last year. They have eased up some this year but tend to be pretty much by the book.

Orlando Speedworld is a lot easier on the regs. Show up with an LS1 Camaro and you don't have a helmet with you and they still let you run. They don't check cars for driveshaft safety loops that are running into the 11's. I showed up with my Vette and had the helmet where they couldn't see it and they let me go. When I mentioned it they told me I should wear a helmet and that was it.

I went to another track here and it was actually scary how bad their enforcement of the rules was. People in 12 second cars were running without helmets. Passengers were riding in 12 second cars without helmets. There was no tech inspection. If it ran you were running.

My friend with the Z06 told me they stopped harrasing him about early summer when gas hit $4 per gallon. I noticed less people at the track this summer and worte it off to the heat. Now I'm wondering if the price of gas stopped people from racing and the tracks responded by making it easier to race a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM

My experience has been similar
I used to go to a track in Georgia, can't remember the name. If you hit 13s without a helmet, they would refuse to give you your time slip and kick you off the track.

Went to Orlando Speedway for the first time a couple months ago, and they were letting passengers ride in 12-13 second cars without helmets on driver or passenger.

They did ask If I had a helmet, but never asked to see it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

I hope my track is leniant like that....because I dont have a helmet and sure dont wana go by one to race my bone stock GTO

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:45 PM

If you're running 13s at a dragstrip, you should wear a helmet, period. One spin-out into the wall the headache can be bad...

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Tried it out tonight.

I went to Orlando Speedworld. The lady at the gate asked me if I had long pants on and closed toe shoes. Nothing about a helmet.

At tech they put a sticker on the car and a number. That's it. They didn't even look under it to make sure it wasn't dropping quarts of oil.

I didn't put my helmet on.

The guy at the end of the staging lanes that moves cars up to the start line motioned me up. He then looked and motioned for me to put on a helmet. At that time it was in my hatch and unaccessable, so I told him the last time I ran I got a 14.1. He said ok and let me go. I ran a 14.1 at 106.5. LOL.

There were several cars running mid 13's and the drivers didn't have helmets.

I put mine on for the rest of the night. Stager stopped me on my last run and said, " Hey, I thought you were only running 14.1 not 13.1. Good to see you got your helmet on."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Bah, I wanted to go to Orlando Speedworld last night, heard Brevard GTOs met there last night too.

The weather must have been perfect last night.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

There were 3 new GTO's and a really nice classic GTO. I didn't get to watch them run too close.

One guy with a really loud exhaust (cutouts maybe) was running high 12's and low 13's. Another guy was running 13.6 most of the night.

There was a nice G8 there too.

The track wasn't very fast. It was cool, upper 60's lower 70's, but the front coming through raised the humidity and the barometer was dropping like a rock.

Next time I plan on heading to the track I'll send you a PM.

C6 goes in for major improvements today so it will be the end of January to the first week of February till I'm out there with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in