One, two, three strikes you're out - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One, two, three strikes you're out

I raced three different cars today on the way home from work. Just kinda happened bam bam bam.

A guy in a 1983, and I'm sure of the year, Mustang 5.0 was passing a Nissan 240SX that had a fart can on it. The 5.0 threw a rev and you could tell he wanted to run the 240.

I was in the perfect position behind the 5.0 and as we passed the 240 and the car ahead of it, I moved to the right. The 240 moved behind the 5.0 and as we approached a redlight he revved his car. Neither one was paying attention to me.

The element of surprise being what it is, I just got my self ready and double checked for cops.

The light turned green and the Mustang went at it full tilt. So did I and the 240. I quickly put a car then 2 and then 3 on the Mustang and the 240 moved to the right and slowly pulled on the Mustang too.

I moved over to the left and at the next light was staged against the 240SX, the guy kept revving his engine. I took my rpms up and launched perfect. I pulled about a half car on him by the top of 1st and by the top of second it was a full car and starting to open.

At the next light the 240 was behind the first car, a Scion TC, so I stopped back a bit and told him nice run. He ignored me. I moved up to even with the Scion and just got that feeling he was going to run.

Sure enough, the light turned green and he was full tilt into it. He got me by almost a car length and it took me till about 65 or so till I evened it up and started to pull on him. He had a fart can and a K&N sticker.

I'm wondering how these guys feel when their fast cars are beaten by a Cavalier with a full stock mufler and hubcaps. That's got to be frustrating.

Long live the Ecotech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Nice kills!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I raced three different cars today on the way home from work. Just kinda happened bam bam bam.

A guy in a 1983, and I'm sure of the year, Mustang 5.0 was passing a Nissan 240SX that had a fart can on it. The 5.0 threw a rev and you could tell he wanted to run the 240.

I was in the perfect position behind the 5.0 and as we passed the 240 and the car ahead of it, I moved to the right. The 240 moved behind the 5.0 and as we approached a redlight he revved his car. Neither one was paying attention to me.

The element of surprise being what it is, I just got my self ready and double checked for cops.

The light turned green and the Mustang went at it full tilt. So did I and the 240. I quickly put a car then 2 and then 3 on the Mustang and the 240 moved to the right and slowly pulled on the Mustang too.

I moved over to the left and at the next light was staged against the 240SX, the guy kept revving his engine. I took my rpms up and launched perfect. I pulled about a half car on him by the top of 1st and by the top of second it was a full car and starting to open.

At the next light the 240 was behind the first car, a Scion TC, so I stopped back a bit and told him nice run. He ignored me. I moved up to even with the Scion and just got that feeling he was going to run.

Sure enough, the light turned green and he was full tilt into it. He got me by almost a car length and it took me till about 65 or so till I evened it up and started to pull on him. He had a fart can and a K&N sticker.

I'm wondering how these guys feel when their fast cars are beaten by a Cavalier with a full stock mufler and hubcaps. That's got to be frustrating.

Long live the Ecotech.
You got lucky. I hear the new K&N stickers can double a cars power, and in some cases triple.

This is funny, the whole time I'm reading your story I was imagining the camaro, but I guess GM was still all over the road,... only with 2 more doors.
Nice kills.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Good kills

2004 Qsm GTO
1987 Olds Custlass 442 with a 400 cui
1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 400 cui
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 PM

haha, great story telling, I was too thinking the camaro, and a built 302, along with a turbo 240, but instead the cavi pops out of nowhere! nice.

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post

Long live the Ecotech.
When are you planning to go to the track up here again?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM

Nice Job Fergy. Did you treat the Cavilier to some gas and a wash?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Very nice kills.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspantienator View Post
Nice Job Fergy. Did you treat the Cavilier to some gas and a wash?
I even cleaned the hubcaps with some wheel cleaner and then put some tire black on them.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
When are you planning to go to the track up here again?
The guy that has the 2007 Mustang GT, A5 that has a catback, intake and tune, just bought 3.73 gears, headers, a different intake and he's going to do a dyno tune when that is done, has challenged me.

My thoughts are, instead of Orlando Spin World that I'll make him drive from Bithlo, 1 mile from the the track, to Gainesville to run the Z28.

My thoughts are that even if he beats the Z, I'll still have the win. I'll move to match him mod for mod then, 3.42 gears instead of the stock 2.73's and headers and a Y-pipe with a dyno tune will put me down into the low 12's and there is no way a bolt on S197 is going to be able to match that.

I still think I'll take him without doing anything. His car ran a 13.6 at 103-104 with his current mods. I've got a couple of 12.7 passes now at 108. He'll take me all the way to the 1000' mark then the little ole LS1 will show the mod motor what it's all about. He needs a full second and gears and headers just won't give him that big of a bump.

Long story short, I'll see you in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll pm you to let you know. Don't worry, I might need the WS6 to have my back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in