User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Play Time with new Mustang Shelby

Was out on Rt 80 and a nut in a Shelby convertible was trying to bait me. I saw the snake on the front grill and Shelby on the left rear just below the tailight.Those things put down about 480 to the wheels and have superchargers. My Vette is putting down 360 to the wheels and weighs 3200Lbs.What is the quarter mile times on the Shelby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 AM

I have learned that there are all types of Shelby's. Some new ones are only putting out 312 hp and some well over 500. Maybe someone here (Fergy), can tell us the differences.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:57 AM

There's a Shelby GT model, I don't think it carries the snake logo on the front. I also don't think they make the Shelby GT in a convertible. It sounds to me like you were being shadowed by the real deal, the GT500. That's the supercharged 5.4L with a rated 500hp. They put on the low side, 425 to the wheels, on the high side 445. The Vert is real heavy too, those things weigh over 4000, maybe as high as 4100 lbs.

I've seen them at the track and I haven't been impressed. You have to remember I'm in Florida. We get a lot of heat and humidity and that definately hurts the 5.4L cast iron block with a supercharger, they hold tons of heat. Most of the ones I've seen haven't been able to get into the 12's. When they do, it's a real high 12 second car and that's a coupe for sure. I only saw one guy in a vert GT500 st the strip. He made 2 passes that I saw, mid 80's and humid, the 1st pass was 13.5, the second was 13.6 and I think the mph were around 107, so the heat was getting the best of the cars. My stock 06 C6 with the A6 would beat up on them pretty easy.

With 360hp to the wheels, your a mid to low 12 second car. You probably run real close to the C5 Z06 guys. My guess, and this is only if he was stock, was that you would have killed him and then wondered if he really tried.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

It was a vert and had the snake on the grill for sure, I didn't get a chance to run up side by side so he was ahead of me in the Rt lane and when he punched it my vette didn't fall back at all and I was in the left lane of a 4 lane road. This guy was a real fool and was weaving in an out and gave me a thumbs down. Mustangs and Dodges are the only ones that don't play fair,they usually do a fly by at 100 and think they got you.Stay safe. LT
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
There is a guy that just bought a new mustang last fall in a terrace across a main road from the terrace I live in. It is white with black racing stripes and has GT emblems. It has a raised hood scoop and under the GT emblems on the front fenders reads "supercharged". I didnt see anything on the lower doors saying shelby saleen. It just had some kinda of broken up stripe design. Looked pretty nice. Don't know what horsepower he is puttin' out.

A fellow co worker stopped and talked to him. The guy is suppose to be a mechanic and has a garage where he is restoring an older mustang as well. Co worker was lookin at the new mustang and was asking him questions about the car. The mustang owner said he doesnt like the factory wheels because they were to plain. When asked what horsepower the stang had, the owner said he was not sure. He popped the hood and started looking around as if he was gonna find it on a sticker or something. He then said maybe it is in the owners manual? Now, I know why his garage never did anything and it is now his personal garage. My co worker told him that his buddy that lives in the other terrace has a GTO and wants to run the stang. "Darn Idiot" I want to pick my own wars, but i want to research what he is puttin' out before picking a fight. The owner of the mustang told the co worker that he heard those GTOs were butt fast!!!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM

Ford has a factory supercharger kit that you can purchase with the car. The warranty is still in effect with it. I've seen different numbers for it, from a low of 375 to a high of 500 hp for the kit. Ford Racing has the hp listed at 400 to 500 hp depending on the supercharger used the accesories you get with it.

If you compare it to a Roush Mustang with a supercharger, you are looking at a car that is a drivers race versus the GTO. If it's closer to the 500 hp version then it's probably going to beat you, but it still won't be an out of the ballpark race.

People that don't really know what their car has usually don't know how to drive them too. My guess is the driver mod is in your favor NJ. But with that said, I'd be very carefull of racing the village idiot too, if you know what I mean. Not worth messing your car up because he does something stupid.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 PM
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Ford has a factory supercharger kit that you can purchase with the car. The warranty is still in effect with it. I've seen different numbers for it, from a low of 375 to a high of 500 hp for the kit. Ford Racing has the hp listed at 400 to 500 hp depending on the supercharger used the accesories you get with it.

If you compare it to a Roush Mustang with a supercharger, you are looking at a car that is a drivers race versus the GTO. If it's closer to the 500 hp version then it's probably going to beat you, but it still won't be an out of the ballpark race.

People that don't really know what their car has usually don't know how to drive them too. My guess is the driver mod is in your favor NJ. But with that said, I'd be very carefull of racing the village idiot too, if you know what I mean. Not worth messing your car up because he does something stupid.
Thanks Fergy,

Yea, the guy has a Mobil station in a neihboring town as well as the one he tried to open around the block and didnt make it. He has had other restored mustangs and then he buys this thing. I dont know, maybe he is pulling the co-workers leg. Doubt it. Your right about racing the village idiot. Ill just mind my own buisness unless he comes barking up my tail pipes! I've seen him out and this shop while driving by even in the goat as she is rumbling down the road. He didnt he look the GTOs way. I think he is scared!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChappa View Post
Was out on Rt 80 and a nut in a Shelby convertible was trying to bait me. I saw the snake on the front grill and Shelby on the left rear just below the tailight.Those things put down about 480 to the wheels and have superchargers. My Vette is putting down 360 to the wheels and weighs 3200Lbs.What is the quarter mile times on the Shelby?
W/ great driving, the GT500 has run low 12's. Mid 12's is the norm, though, and figure a few extra tenths for a 'Vert. But from a roll, he would've walked you.

Quote:
There's a Shelby GT model, I don't think it carries the snake logo on the front. I also don't think they make the Shelby GT in a convertible. It sounds to me like you were being shadowed by the real deal, the GT500. That's the supercharged 5.4L with a rated 500hp. They put on the low side, 425 to the wheels, on the high side 445. The Vert is real heavy too, those things weigh over 4000, maybe as high as 4100 lbs.

I've seen them at the track and I haven't been impressed. You have to remember I'm in Florida. We get a lot of heat and humidity and that definately hurts the 5.4L cast iron block with a supercharger, they hold tons of heat. Most of the ones I've seen haven't been able to get into the 12's. When they do, it's a real high 12 second car and that's a coupe for sure. I only saw one guy in a vert GT500 st the strip. He made 2 passes that I saw, mid 80's and humid, the 1st pass was 13.5, the second was 13.6 and I think the mph were around 107, so the heat was getting the best of the cars. My stock 06 C6 with the A6 would beat up on them pretty easy.

With 360hp to the wheels, your a mid to low 12 second car. You probably run real close to the C5 Z06 guys. My guess, and this is only if he was stock, was that you would have killed him and then wondered if he really tried.
W/ 360 to the wheels, no way would he have 'killed' him. He may be a mid 12 sec car, but his HP deficit would put him at a disadvantage from a roll. He would've no doubt gave him a good run, and depending on drivng skill, maybe won, but it by no means have been a blowout.

Quote:

Not to flame, but a stock GTO is not beating ANY supercharged S197 GT w/ equal driver's. Even the most modest kits put them in the 430rwhp ballpark..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
formerly NJGoat

Garage
I thought somebody told me that a stock GT with a supercharger "dealer added" would give ti like 417 HP!! With a few minor upgrades a goat should give it a good run if not beat 'em.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Well, even at that number, it's going to be dynoing in the 360-370 range. So that already more power to the wheels than the GTO. Not too mention it's powerband is going to be MUCH wider. Then there's the weight advantage. An S197 GT weighs some 250~lbs less than the Goat. Those factors combined would require a heavy-bolton LS2 GTO at the least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in