Raced a Trans am - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Raced a Trans am

I have a close friend that has a 1998 trans am. He has LT's, custom y pipe, flowmaster, SLP lid, EGR delete, 4.10 gears, and Short throw. He has been wanting me to race him but I will never race.

So yesterday I drive to my dads and hang out for the day. I give my friend a call to see if he will race. So he says hell yea. you ready to get beat. I said sure. We are on the interstate and go from a 50 (i am in a a4) he shifts to 2 and I stay in drive and wait for him. He takes off and I put it to the floor. It take a second to down shift and he is pulling me by about a car. As soon as the trany shift to 2 I start to pull back and by 110 I am 2 car in front of him.

He got so mad that he would not answer my call's, I really though he was going to beat me bad. I was trying to get him to go from a slower roll, but he keep on driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red06a4GTO View Post
I have a close friend that has a 1998 trans am. He has LT's, custom y pipe, flowmaster, SLP lid, EGR delete, 4.10 gears, and Short throw. He has been wanting me to race him but I will never race.

So yesterday I drive to my dads and hang out for the day. I give my friend a call to see if he will race. So he says hell yea. you ready to get beat. I said sure. We are on the interstate and go from a 50 (i am in a a4) he shifts to 2 and I stay in drive and wait for him. He takes off and I put it to the floor. It take a second to down shift and he is pulling me by about a car. As soon as the trany shift to 2 I start to pull back and by 110 I am 2 car in front of him.

He got so mad that he would not answer my call's, I really though he was going to beat me bad. I was trying to get him to go from a slower roll, but he keep on driving.
Really good run. Like you I thought he would beat you. I figured it would have been exactly opposite with him about 2 cars in front of you.

From a dig he has a definate advantage with the 4.10's so don't run him from there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:05 AM

i just got a GTO last month and from what i see the GTOs are really good from a roll,,i floor ti and when it kicks into 2 its outta here,,so im not surprised u took it

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red06a4GTO View Post
.....He got so mad that he would not answer my call's, I really though he was going to beat me bad......

Sample transcript if he took the call:

*ring*

TA: Ugh
GTO: How's the TA doin'?
TA: *click*

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM

funny stuff batman
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM

I've raced a TA with some sorta work on it. I suspect it was cammed and had intake and exhaust.

it definately had suspension work since it was slammed and handled pretty dam good.

The kid's baffled look when he was schooled 3 times was uber priceless. His Aviator glasses and bomber jacket added to my amusement.

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM

nice kill in your GOAT!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Really good run. Like you I thought he would beat you. I figured it would have been exactly opposite with him about 2 cars in front of you.

From a dig he has a definate advantage with the 4.10's so don't run him from there.
+1. No guarantees when it comes to the driver mod as well.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem5417 View Post
i just got a GTO last month and from what i see the GTOs are really good from a roll,,i floor ti and when it kicks into 2 its outta here,,so im not surprised u took it
They are devastating from a roll. We race from a 50 mph roll on Friday nights over in Mobile. I got an '06 with the auto and I drop it down in 2nd gear and wait for the honks and get thrown back in the seat with every launch. 2nd gear in the autos is good till about 82 mph and by then, the race is already won. I can't tell you how many 'Stangs, Trans Ams, Camaros, and Ricers I've beat from a 50 roll.

My favorite kill so far was the guy that had a Nissan 240 Z (maybe zx, hell i don't know ricers, just know it was a 240) with a turbo on it the size of a basketball. He had a RFL valve, a huge intercooler, and some other crap that went way over my head. He stayed with me up to about 100, and then the top end of the beefy LS2 just walked away from him. That poor car fell on it's face when it hit triple digits. It's pretty mean in town from light to light though.

I have yet to master the launch from a dead stop. I don't have sticky tires for one, and I'm sure the custom tune from Diablosport doesn't help any, but seems all I can do is melt the tires or limp off the line, haven't found the happy medium yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in