Ran a Mach 1 tonight - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ran a Mach 1 tonight

I ran a Mach 1 tonight. I've got a 96 C4 with the LT4. I think the rear gears are 3.45 and it has the Tremec T56 6M. Went to see my doctor today for a check-up. He has an 04 Mach 1 in yellow and black. He's done an intake to it, but otherwise it's stock. We always talk cars and I told him I replaced the C6 with the C4. We chatted about the differences between the 2 cars. He had no clue that the LT4 in the C4 put almost 40 more hp than the LT1 to the rear wheels. He told me he had run a couple C4's before and they were real close with him coming out on top.

I know a place where there is a road that heads to a boat launch that isn't used anymore. The area is deserted and we've marked off a 1/4 mile and you have almost a 1/2 mile to stop. With no traffic it's real safe to play. We met there after work. My old boss brought his 2000 Camaro SS and another guy we know with a C6 Z06 and a 2003 Viper, brought his Viper to run against the SS.

We made 3 runs. It was my first time really pushing the C4. It's definately different than the C6.

The first time I didn't launch very well. The LT4 has way more torque at low RPM's than I was ready for so I had more wheelspin than I wanted. The C4 was about even with the Mach till I hit second and slowly pulled on the Mach till the end of the run. I got him by almost 2 car lengths. The last 2 runs were repeats of the first except that I launched better each time and added a 1/2 car each time, with the final run ending with me almost 3 cars ahead.

The SS beat the Viper. The SS is a 405rwhp heads and cam car. They only made two passes.

We're all going to head to the strip in the next 2 or 3 weeks and set up some re-matches.

I figured I was going to beat the Mach, just didn't know by how much.

I'm hoping for a low 13 pass. There are several guys that have gotten into the low 13's with the LT4 stock, including one guy that has a 13.04 at 109 mph. This thing should get into the 12's with a simple intake and DR's. Not bad for 12 year old technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I ran a Mach 1 tonight. I've got a 96 C4 with the LT4. I think the rear gears are 3.45 and it has the Tremec T56 6M. Went to see my doctor today for a check-up. He has an 04 Mach 1 in yellow and black. He's done an intake to it, but otherwise it's stock. We always talk cars and I told him I replaced the C6 with the C4. We chatted about the differences between the 2 cars. He had no clue that the LT4 in the C4 put almost 40 more hp than the LT1 to the rear wheels. He told me he had run a couple C4's before and they were real close with him coming out on top.

I know a place where there is a road that heads to a boat launch that isn't used anymore. The area is deserted and we've marked off a 1/4 mile and you have almost a 1/2 mile to stop. With no traffic it's real safe to play. We met there after work. My old boss brought his 2000 Camaro SS and another guy we know with a C6 Z06 and a 2003 Viper, brought his Viper to run against the SS.

We made 3 runs. It was my first time really pushing the C4. It's definately different than the C6.

The first time I didn't launch very well. The LT4 has way more torque at low RPM's than I was ready for so I had more wheelspin than I wanted. The C4 was about even with the Mach till I hit second and slowly pulled on the Mach till the end of the run. I got him by almost 2 car lengths. The last 2 runs were repeats of the first except that I launched better each time and added a 1/2 car each time, with the final run ending with me almost 3 cars ahead.

The SS beat the Viper. The SS is a 405rwhp heads and cam car. They only made two passes.

We're all going to head to the strip in the next 2 or 3 weeks and set up some re-matches.

I figured I was going to beat the Mach, just didn't know by how much.

I'm hoping for a low 13 pass. There are several guys that have gotten into the low 13's with the LT4 stock, including one guy that has a 13.04 at 109 mph. This thing should get into the 12's with a simple intake and DR's. Not bad for 12 year old technology.
The LT-4 Vette is a great car, I am glad to hear that you got yourself one; welcome back to the corvette family. The car did come with stock 3.45 but the tranny should be a ZF 6-speed, unless someone swapped it out.

There are a lot of good drivers that got that car into the high 12s. You should check out corvetteforum.com; but you may already be a member.

I have gone through a bag full of upgrades myself; so let me know if you have any questions.

other than that, save the wave;

glenn
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 AM

I thought the Mach would've gave you a little better run that that, but nice kill. I always like the LT4 cars. Espec the Collector's Edition cars and the Grand Sports. The Grand Sports are one of my favorite Vette's ever. I didn't realize they were that quick. I figured they were 13.20-.40 cars. Either way, nice car. There's something about the later C4's styling I love.....

I'm really surprised the Camaro beat the Viper. Maybe he had the driver mod, who knows. Head/cam LS1's are beasts, though.

Nice runs, sounds like fun.....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Boy! I wish I was there just to watch the action.
Nice job and I thought the Mach 1 would be a closer match too.
Also surprised with the Viper taking a back seat to an SS.

Very Nice!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should have no problem getting a low 13 out of it. The very first time I hit the track (Fontana) I ran consistent 13.8s in my '93 Vette with the LT1 of course and manual trans. So if I can do that good with no track experience I'm sure you'll do a lot better with experience and more power.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_96LT4 View Post
The LT-4 Vette is a great car, I am glad to hear that you got yourself one; welcome back to the corvette family. The car did come with stock 3.45 but the tranny should be a ZF 6-speed, unless someone swapped it out.

There are a lot of good drivers that got that car into the high 12s. You should check out corvetteforum.com; but you may already be a member.

I have gone through a bag full of upgrades myself; so let me know if you have any questions.

other than that, save the wave;

glenn
I just assumed it was a Tremec. I really like the way this thing shifts. Is the ZF more expensive than the Tremec? Is it not as strong? I'm just wondering because I was thinking this was the best shifting Tremec I've ever driven and it being a ZF explains me feeling a difference. It makes me wonder why GM switched to the Tremec.

I'm on the Corvette forum. This is my 3rd Vette. C5 Z06 to a GTO then back to a C6 base A6 and then this car. What my plans are is to wait till the ZR1 is out and C6 Z06's become also rans. I'll pick up an under 5,000 mile Z06 fairly cheap and have the best looking Vette, the C4, and an extremely fun car to track, the Z06.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
I thought the Mach would've gave you a little better run that that, but nice kill. I always like the LT4 cars. Espec the Collector's Edition cars and the Grand Sports. The Grand Sports are one of my favorite Vette's ever. I didn't realize they were that quick. I figured they were 13.20-.40 cars. Either way, nice car. There's something about the later C4's styling I love.....

I'm really surprised the Camaro beat the Viper. Maybe he had the driver mod, who knows. Head/cam LS1's are beasts, though.

Nice runs, sounds like fun.....
I didn't realize the LT4 was as fast as it is either. I actually bought the car hoping it would hit a 13.5 1/4mile. The best stock time I've seen is 13.04 on the Corvette Forum, but people are telling me that they have gotten the LT4 into the 12's stock. With 295-305rwhp and the same weight as a C5 it's definately possible. I'm guessing I have about 4 more good weeks before it gets hot and humid here again.

The Camaro has 405 rwhp. It's also got 4.10 gears and he has DR's on it. The Viper suffered traction issues, this isn't really a prepped track. Both cars weigh about the same, 3350 for the Camaro and 3400 for the Viper. I'm not really up on Viper's, they've changed hp over the years. I think this one is rated at 450. That means he's probably putting 380-390 to the wheels. So in this case the SS has a slight weight advantage, a slight hp advantage, a gear advantage and a big traction advantage with the wide DR's. Those 2 cars are going to be real fun to watch at the strip when we head that way. I'm thinking the prep at the track will benefit the Viper more. He's going to get some DR's for it too. We're taking the back seat out of the Camaro and going to remove the spare and jack and just generally lighten the car as much as we can.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM

^ Oh, that explains it then. I just assumed the Viper was a newer 510 horse model for some reason. The older one's were rated at 450, you're correct. So I'd figure 395~whp if he's stock. So w/ the Camaro's weight advantage, slight power advantage, and DR's, I can def see him pulling off the win.

Sweet runs, and nice car you got yourself. Of course, you could have bought a C4 ZR-1. Admiral Blue over black, yum.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
^ Oh, that explains it then. I just assumed the Viper was a newer 510 horse model for some reason. The older one's were rated at 450, you're correct. So I'd figure 395~whp if he's stock. So w/ the Camaro's weight advantage, slight power advantage, and DR's, I can def see him pulling off the win.

Sweet runs, and nice car you got yourself. Of course, you could have bought a C4 ZR-1. Admiral Blue over black, yum.....
Thanks.

I looked at a 92 ZR1. It had 44,000 miles on it. The dealer that had it didn't have a price listed. The salesman that I talked to over the phone was the guy that took it in on trade. He told me he thought it was in the mid twenties based on what they gave the guy that traded it. I got to the dealer drove the car and wanted it. Making a long story short the general Manager of the dealership thinks that since the new ZR1 has been announced the C4's will go up in value. Even though they gave the guy that traded it in 21,000, which I found out from the salesman, the GM wasn't taking anything less than 30k. I passed on it, for another 4-5k you can get a used C6.

Not sure when we are all heading to the strip, but I'll post back with results.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I just assumed it was a Tremec. I really like the way this thing shifts. Is the ZF more expensive than the Tremec? Is it not as strong? I'm just wondering because I was thinking this was the best shifting Tremec I've ever driven and it being a ZF explains me feeling a difference. It makes me wonder why GM switched to the Tremec.

I'm on the Corvette forum. This is my 3rd Vette. C5 Z06 to a GTO then back to a C6 base A6 and then this car. What my plans are is to wait till the ZR1 is out and C6 Z06's become also rans. I'll pick up an under 5,000 mile Z06 fairly cheap and have the best looking Vette, the C4, and an extremely fun car to track, the Z06.
I figured you would be a member; I am not sure the difference in prices or if one is better than the other, but I do know that the ZF's are not cheap. They also have a black label which is even stronger. In 96, they swapped the gears to cut down the gear whine.

However, my car dyno'd over 600 on a mustang dyno and haven't had a problem yet. If you think it shifts great now, put in a hurst shifter. Absolutely day & night difference. Who knows, maybe the previous owner already did it.

I plan on pickung up a c6-z06 as well. Prices are starting to come down. My buddy TJ Wong just bought one and has been telling me how impressed he was with the base power & how smooth the car is. He also has a 95 putting down over 540+ to the wheels (it's for sale too).

I decided to leave my goat alone, it's my daily driver.

I originally wanted to pick up a c5 hardtop or c5-z06 and build a 427 LSX motor with some APS turbos but decided that the c6 is just to dam stout looking. got to have it....i figured by the end of this year or beginning of 2009 I will get me one.

Anyway, glad you got yourself a c4. It's been great so far.

save the wave,

glenn

Last edited by GM_96LT4; 02-07-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in