Ran a snazzed up 350Z - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ran a snazzed up 350Z

I don't know if it was a nismo or what. It had a different larger spoiler on the back that was tastefully done and blended into the body lines of the car, painted the color of the car of course, not some tacked on piece of crap you see on alot of ricers. It had big flashy rims and stickers all over the back glass and on the back rear quarter panels. I passed him slowly on the way home going across the bay studying the car. I got about a 1/4 mile ahead of him and he zipped around a semi and got up behind me. Started to look like he wanted to play afterall.

He wasn't tailgating me, kept a respectable 3-4 car distance from me, pacing me at 80 while I coasted through the last of the traffic and hitting the last stretch of the bayway before getting back over land. I watched him shoot over to the right hand lane and nail it. I nailed it too, we were rolling at 80 when we got on it. He pulled to within 1 car length of me, then paced me for a short second, then I started to pull on him. As I began pulling away, he shot from the right lane back into the left lane behind me, and that's when I really started to walk away from him. I guess he got behind me to see if he could pull up on my bumper and tailgate me by drafting? Who knows.

I was doing 130 when I glanced down at the speedo and when I looked back up he was way way back. He must of let off the gas or hit the brake as I looked down at the speed because when I looked back up in the mirror he was gone. I slowed down to a painful 65 mph waiting for him to catch back up before I hit my offramp but he never did.

That was the first 350 Z to give me a scare. When he pulled on me from a little over 3 cars back to about a car back, I thought it was all over. The LS2 evidently had all it could stand because somewhere in the upper rpms of 3rd gear, I gradually walked away from him. Was a close call but a kill just the same. I would like to see what that car's top end was...

Last edited by dustyminpin; 05-22-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Good story.......great kill!!!!!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
I don't know if it was a nismo or what. It had a different larger spoiler on the back that was tastefully done and blended into the body lines of the car, painted the color of the car of course, not some tacked on piece of crap you see on alot of ricers. It had big flashy rims and stickers all over the back glass and on the back rear quarter panels. I passed him slowly on the way home going across the bay studying the car. I got about a 1/4 mile ahead of him and he zipped around a semi and got up behind me. Started to look like he wanted to play afterall.

He wasn't tailgating me, kept a respectable 3-4 car distance from me, pacing me at 80 while I coasted throught the last of the traffic and hitting the last stretch of the bayway before getting back over land. I watched him shoot over to the right land and nail it. I nailed it too, we were rolling at 80 when we got on it. He pulled to within 1 car length of me, then paced me for a short second, then I started to pull on him. As I began pulling away, he shot from the right lane back into the left lane behind me, and that's when I really started to walk away from him. I guess he got behind me to see if he could pull up on my bumper and tailgate me by drafting? Who knows.

I was doing 130 when I glanced down at the speedo and when I looked back up he was way way back. He must of let off the gas or hit the brake as I looked down at the speed because when I looked back up in the mirror he was gone. I slowed down to a painful 65 mph waiting for him to catch back up before I hit my offramp but he never did.

That was the first 350 Z to give me a scare. When he pulled on me from a little over 3 cars back to about a car back, I thought it was all over. The LS2evidently had all it could stand because somewhere in the upper rpms of 3rd gear, I gradually walked away from him. Was a close call but a kill just the same. I would like to see what that car's top end was...
Nice pull: I've got a few out here.

Edmunds on 350z Nismo

"It all starts with the 2007 Nissan 350Z and its new-generation 3.5-liter VQ35HR V6, which produces 306 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and revs to 7,500 rpm. There's a large, low-restriction exhaust muffler as well.

All this work makes the Z-car quicker at the track, but there aren't any engine modifications, so the 2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo probably won't feel any quicker on the street. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reception it'll find in the U.S."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 PM

A good story, as always, dusty. I don't know how you get your car up to those speeds so often, but stay safe.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Nice story, Funny ive ran into 3 Z's that just mess around but never line up! I hate that

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA GTO SP View Post
A good story, as always, dusty. I don't know how you get your car up to those speeds so often, but stay safe.
Easy. Live on the coast that has an interstate/bayway running through it. Ask good old fergyflyer. He's been on that same bayway going across Mobile Bay. A few of the forum members from Alabama have been on it as well. It's basically a 7 mile dragstrip over water with only 2 on/offramps and 4 feet concrete walls on both sides. You can't play during the day, but in the late evening just before dusk and pretty much all night long, it's good times. That's the only reason I miss working on 3rd shift.

I used to drive across that bad boy at 11 at night. Opening up the LS2 used to be a daily thing. The funny part about this Nissan story is that a guy I work with came up to me today and asked me what the hell that was that I was racing, a Porche? lol. I guess he worked overtime too and left around 730 when I did.

I ended up passing him when the Z was trying to "draft me." I told him I was only running 130 and he said it looked way faster then that, lol. I told him he needed to start carrying my handycam with him and we'd time it so we got off work at the same time...... smelling more youtube videos.

By the way, here's the link of that night time run going across that very same bay if you haven't seen it yet. YouTube - GTO top speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe I'll move when I retire in 9 yrs....Nobody will even try to play with the goat around here. Ohwell...Someday maybe Ill have a good kill story....

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Dusty is right on the money. The first time or two that you run across the bay it's intimidating. You've got walls pretty close to the car and your not quite sure what to think.

Once you are familiar with it, it makes a nice safe place to run up the MPH. It's flat, mostly straight with decent sight lines and no place for a cop to sit. There's only 1 entrance ramp and it comes up from below and at night you have a half mile worth of visibility to tell if there is a car coming up the ramp.

If I'm taking a trip, and hit the home of our new Air Force tanker plane, Mobile, at night, I always run the bay at 100+ no matter what I'm in. It wakes you back up and breaks the trip up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in