Ran a TT Supra on the hwy - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ran a TT Supra on the hwy

So I'm a bone stock (down to the air filter) 06 manual...was driving home when I see a supra pass me on the hwy...I was going bout 70 and he passes slowly...I roll up next to him and give the thumbs up...we go from about 65 to 120 neck and neck until I let off (literally neither was pulling away) I only downshifted to 4th on that run though...then we line back up, this time I drop it to 3rd (didn't realize I’d have as much room in 3rd from that speed) and go from there not sure the speed, but I was at about 4500-5000 rpm in 3rd on the start...I give the three beeps and away we go, I immediately put 2 on him and prob had 2.5 to 4 at 120 when I let off (fairly large margin I felt...tough to tell exactly as I was the only one in the car and wanted to keep the eyes on the tach and road)...we catch back up roll down the windows...told him I liked his ride...I knew it was turbo from hearing it spool, but could tell it was probably a stock one for the most part (stock rims, exhaust)...I ask if it is a single or twin, he said its a twin turbo...I said stock?...he said yeah...probably the first stock TT supra I've seen...fairly young kid...anyway, was surprised how the goat handled it fairly easily...was a real nice kid and was very complimentary of my car...fun race!...I know how capable those cars are, and I love them...I'm not putting them down at all...just my first kill story...kinda proud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Nice kill, supras are nice cars, I think stock twin turbos supras run about 13.5 or better in the 1/4, so stock for stock it a good match up for a GTO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 AM

Yeah, stock Supra Turbos are low 13 sec cars, so the results sound about right. Nice runs....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 AM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
Yeah, stock Supra Turbos are low 13 sec cars, so the results sound about right. Nice runs....
Great kill, can't wait for my first!!! come on summer! I;ve been flirting with this07 Mustang GT with dealer installed supercharger suppose to be putting out around 417 Hp. I know it is a big fish, but i am gonna fry him if i get the chance!

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 AM

Nice kill- and the supra driver was a gentlemen to boot. Good experience all the round.

I can't wait for my first as well, but I want more experience with the GTO before I attempt the super charged GT's.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 04BLKGOAT
Nice kill.. It's always nice to see that the other driver is nice and friendly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM

For now, I don't have a car capable of good kills, unfortunately......

But summer's coming up fast....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
For now, I don't have a car capable of good kills, unfortunately......

But summer's coming up fast....

I thought you had a 350Z. Is it away for the winter???

I still catch some fun runs in my DD Cavalier. Most people don't realize that the 03-05 Cavaliers with the Ecotech can pull a 15.6-15.9 1/4 mile. Catch a guy in an Acura RSX and he gets beat. Catch a guy in an RSX Type S, an older stock 5.0 Mustang GT or pre 99 4.6 Mustang GT, that doesn't give you the respect you deserve and he gets beat too. Sometimes I think those kills are way more fun.

Pat Bedard from Car& Driver wrote and article on the slow car as a moving experience about 10 or 15 years ago. In it he talks about how much fun it is sometimes to take a marginal car or a downright slow car and run it flat out. No one really notices or cares and you get the satisfaction of running the car at it's limits.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM

^ Nah, I haven't had the Z for awhile now. Now all I have is my Audi A4. I'm getting a new toy shortly, though. I just can't decide what I want. I'm highly considering a GTO if I can find a 6-sp one in Impulse Blue or Cosmos Purple. I've also been thinking about an '03-04 Cobra or a used C6, though. A guy I work w/ has an Atomic Orange Z51, and I love it. The fact that a local dealer has an '05 Z51 w/ 9K for 37 grand isn't helping to tame the itch....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah was a fun run...and he was a nice guy...the goat wins...and no law enforcement trouble...bout as good as it gets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in