Respect the F-body - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Respect the F-body

A while back I told you guys about a guy at work that has an '02 Z28 with a loud as hell exhaust system, FAST intake, CAI, and MAF that always wanted to run me but we worked 2 different shifts and could never make it happen. Well, as luck would have it, we FINALLY both worked together on the same shift last Saturday. Unfortunately, my rear tires are as bald as my head and my fronts aren't much better (I showed him so he knew I wasn't BSing him) and after already almost wrecking it once hot rodding it with bad tires I wasn't about to do it again, but I digress...

I ask him to take me for a spin. This was the first time I had been in the last body style camaro and holy crap!, did I feel cramped. I wouldn't want to put my miniature pinscher in the back seat let alone a full grown adult. I'm 6'3", 225 lbs and actually rode (drunk) in the back seat of my goat on the way home from the Florabama (bar on the state line) and found I actually had more then enough room, but again, I digress...

He's got the A4, as do I. He too, told me he catches a bunch of flak from gearheads about the automatic. Anyways, we pulled out of the driveway from our work, he punched it, and my spleen ended up in the back seat (seat was barely big enough to hold it).

After I get out of is car, trying not to act too impressed with it, I asked him what else he did or what else the guy who owned it before him did. For starters, it head Vette rims and tires on it, pretty chrome 5 spokers, 18's in back, looking about twice as fat as my oem 18" Bridgestone Potenzas, and 17"s in front. This accounted for his insane pavement ripping traction completely through the first 2 gears and trying to break free going into 3rd. The speedo went up to 150.

I asked him if he ever had it pegged out, he said Oh no. The fastest he had it was 115 but it acted like it didn't want to do all that much more. I asked him WTF? My goat's speedo goes to 200 and I HAVE had it up to 163 a bunch of times (governor shutting it down even with my Diablosport tune that is suppose to turn the limiter off but obviously doesn't otherwise I wouldn't hit 163 on the nose EVERY single time I've taken it out for a top end run).

He said the guy that had it before him put 410 gears in it, which is why (he explained to me) it got horrible gas mileage, ran about 4 grand on the tach going down the interstate, and was so vicious on the bottom end. I can't do a gear swap. My goat is my only car and everyday driver, so decent gas mileage and low rpms and cruising speed are mandatory for me. My question is, has any other goat owners out there swapped their gears out for something else and if so, what results did you see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM

haha all that to ask if anyone has swapped gears?.?.?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM

I've heard of some people with A4 F-Bodies going with 3.73's, but never a 4.10's swap. That car is probably miserable as a daily driver.

You won't see much of a difference in a 3.73 gear swap from the stock rear end. If you really want to come out of the hole strong do a torque converter swap. You'll get 2 tenths with the 3.73's. You'll get 4-5 tenths with the converter and some sticky rear tires. They both will cost about the same.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM

F-bodys are a sweet ride for sure!

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in