Running Against a Camaro SS Last Night... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running Against a Camaro SS Last Night...

..on the 99 Freeway just after the 99/5 split going Northbound. It was fun...we got up to ~120mph in places (the 99 is a very straight and wide freeway)...the the guy Camaro SS wanted to play footsie and I was in the mood to oblige....it was pretty obvious that the GTO has a substantial advantage in torque over the Flexi-flyer. We would form up along side and one or the other would punch it...the GTO was faster every time.

I have no idea what year it was, as those F-Bodies all look the same to me, but it look like one of the last of the breed..some late model variant. What engines did those things have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
..on the 99 Freeway just after the 99/5 split going Northbound. It was fun...we got up to ~120mph in places (the 99 is a very straight and wide freeway)...the the guy Camaro SS wanted to play footsie and I was in the mood to oblige....it was pretty obvious that the GTO has a substantial advantage in torque over the Flexi-flyer. We would form up along side and one or the other would punch it...the GTO was faster every time.

I have no idea what year it was, as those F-Bodies all look the same to me, but it look like one of the last of the breed..some late model variant. What engines did those things have?
ls1's.... depending on the year....could be lt1....
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:58 AM

if it was an 02 SS 325hp depending on the exhaust, with the optional exhaust
and intake its about 345hp good kill

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
What engines did those things have?
No offense but I think you GTO owners should be better acquainted with LS1/LS2/LS6 engines and what bodys house them, especially LS1 and LS2 since they are the same engine as your 04/05 engines.

Just my .02 cents.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 PM

he does not speak for every one 03ebz06...but dont knock him. maybe your just upset that an 05 GTO is only 5hp less than your 03 z06...but much repect to the Corvette
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
No offense but I think you GTO owners should be better acquainted with LS1/LS2/LS6 engines and what bodys house them, especially LS1 and LS2 since they are the same engine as your 04/05 engines.

Just my .02 cents.

Can't help it...all those Flexi-Bodies look the same to me. Not interested to know the diff. Truly can't be bothered.

Shrug.

Corvettes, I know...and respect the proper models accordingly.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijaguy
he does not speak for every one 03ebz06...but dont knock him. maybe your just upset that an 05 GTO is only 5hp less than your 03 z06...but much repect to the Corvette
I'm not knocking anyone, it was just suggestion so that LS1/LS2 owners would have a better understanding about other platforms that shares same engine as your vehicle. It's kind of like getting to know better about one of your family members.

Upset over what? 05 GTO may have HP, but is still bloated pig and it will take some mod to run mid 11's, and don't even get me started on curves.

I've own LS1 vehicle since 2000 and was an LS1 engine moderator for LS1 and LS2.com, so I have pretty good knowledge of LS1 and related topics, and I find it amusing that there are so many LS1 owners who are clueless their car and other vehicles that share the same engine as theirs.

But whatever, I guess some people just want to keep blinders on and "truely can't be bothered with" ... And yet, GTO owners get offended or upset whenever some idiot calls it a Grand Prix or Grand Am because some people don't care to know about GTOs, how ironic.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not knocking anyone, it was just suggestion so that LS1/LS2 owners would have a better understanding about other platforms that shares same engine as your vehicle. It's kind of like getting to know better about one of your family members.

Upset over what? 05 GTO may have HP, but is still bloated pig and it will take some mod to run mid 11's, and don't even get me started on curves.

I've own LS1 vehicle since 2000 and was an LS1 engine moderator for LS1 and LS2.com, so I have pretty good knowledge of LS1 and related topics, and I find it amusing that there are so many LS1 owners who are clueless their car and other vehicles that share the same engine as theirs.

But whatever, I guess some people just want to keep blinders on and "truely can't be bothered with" ... And yet, GTO owners get offended or upset whenever some idiot calls it a Grand Prix or Grand Am because some people don't care to know about GTOs, how ironic.
You confuse apathy driven by a distaste for the poor build quality and *#$**#$**#$**#$*-80's look of F-Bodies with a willful ignorance of the powerplants that power our own GTOs. OK, so let me get this straight-- Just because I find F-bodies to be a silly-looking, self-parodying example of everything I've personally disliked about domestic cars, this automatically makes a moron when it comes to the inner workings of my Holden?

That's the old "Chewbacca defense" from South Park-- it makes no sense.

What powers that Mustang GT I ran with on the freeway this morning? A V8, yeah, but beyond that I don't really give a rodent's patoot. What engine does that KITT-car have? Dunno. Don't care.

BTW- Your contention that a Flexi-flyer will beat a GTO on the curves borders on the hilarious. That iron-axle throwback may have advantages on the drag strip, but in the twisties you are mine.

Last edited by Groucho; 04-01-2005 at 11:06 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Oh, now it's Holden, I guess you are having an identity crisis...lol

If you read my post and ouijaguy's post correctly, I was referring to my Z06 taking on 05 GTO...err, excuse me, Holden on the twisties. I gurantee that you that you'll be looking at my tail lights on the straight ways and twisties.

I didn't started my post to getting into a pissing contest, I merely suggested that people should be familiar with other cars, so that they'll know what they are up against.

you should know your enemy because in knowledge there is power, and ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to your competition.

I don't like Fords but I'm willing to learn about them so that whenever I encounter them, I at least know what I'm against.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, now it's Holden, I guess you are having an identity crisis...lol
Erm, no.

Quote:
you should know your enemy because in knowledge there is power, and ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to your competition.
Thank you, Sun Tzu. I'll remember that when I'm ready to declare jihad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in