This should have been a joke - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This should have been a joke

I'm driving the Cavalier on my way to the mall. Needed white button down shirts. The new job requires you to wear white button-down shirts. Ties are optional, so that's a good thing, no tie.

Well as I'm going down the road a guy in a 99-03 Mustang with a huge cowl ram hood is making his way through traffic. I can hear as he gets beside the car behind me, a Hyundai Tucson, he revs it and moves up to me and does the same. He was reving at everybody on down the line. No supercharger whine, just a louder than stock exhaust.

I moved over behind him and kinda followed him through the pack. It starts to rain a little bit as we head down the road. Sure enough I end up at a light behind him. The light turns green and he takes off a good bit faster than needed. I did the same and moved over a lane and ended up at the next light beside him. This part of the road has 3 lights in a row about an 1/8 mile apart and they always are red and aren't timed, so if you get one red they all end up being red. We're at the second.

He revs his car at me and looks over and laughs and gives me a thumbs up jokingly. Well I'm thinking that I have front wheel drive on a wet road, so I'll get better traction and the guy beside me isn't taking me seriously. I checked around and there wasn't any cops so I casually start watching the light.

As soon as the the light turned green I launched right at the edge of traction. The tool in the GT now is slightly behind so he nails it. The car completely loses traction and wiggles its tail pretty good. He tries to get traction and can't. By this time I've got 5 cars on him and I let up and coast to the next light.

I gave him the thumbs up back with the same smile and head bob he gave me. All that got me was a finger that wasn't the thumb. This time though I just took off at my normal pace and laughed as he blew his launch again and had issues with traction way down the road. I should have toasted him again, but the guy obviously couldn't drive very well and would have probably hurt someone.

It's guys like him that give the serious Mustang car guys, bad reputations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM

he gave you the number 1 sign because you are number 1. i've done that before...kill a launch and never made up afterwards. tying this in to ricer's lament my rustang is the epitome of drive me right or i'll make a fool of you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 AM

That's hilarious! He's lucky he didn't spin and crash!

I remember racing 2 friends in my '91 SHO. One was in a '89? 350 T/A auto and the other in a 5.0 5spd. It was really wet out and we were comparing traction from a stop. The weight transfer of their cars helped and they pulled on me pretty good.

Oh, tip for you - white dress shirts without a tie are considered to be bad fashion. I would wear a tie and just loosen it up so its more comfortable. What type of job has that dress code? Usually business casual doesn't dictate white-only.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 AM

A guy like that keeps insurance rates up for us all.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
That's hilarious! He's lucky he didn't spin and crash!

I remember racing 2 friends in my '91 SHO. One was in a '89? 350 T/A auto and the other in a 5.0 5spd. It was really wet out and we were comparing traction from a stop. The weight transfer of their cars helped and they pulled on me pretty good.

Oh, tip for you - white dress shirts without a tie are considered to be bad fashion. I would wear a tie and just loosen it up so its more comfortable. What type of job has that dress code? Usually business casual doesn't dictate white-only.
It's the office of a small construction engineering company. They require all employees to wear white shirts. You can wear jeans on Fridays. No golf shirts are allowed period. No off-white shirts. Shirts must be button down oxford style with collars. No tie is required. Field employees may wear jeans as long as they follow the guidelines set forth. Field employees may also wear flannel shirts over their white shirts or white or blue sweatshirts on cooler days. T-Shirts are not permitted for field employees.

They prefer blue or black slacks Monday-Tuesday with Friday a casual jeans day. Kakhi colored pants are acceptable but not prefered. Jeans must be blue denim, no black. Jeans must be neat clean and professional in appearance, no low rise hip huggers, bell bottoms or any tears or holes. Jeans should not be excessively faded. All employees must wear a belt with their trousers and shirts must be tucked in except for flannels and sweatshirts.

All tatoos must be in a non visible location, if they are on a forearm you must wear long sleeves at all times. If they are on you neck your collar must cover them. Men must remove all piercings including earings. Women are limited to 2 earings per ear maximum. All nose, lip eyebrow or any other visible piercing must be removed.

Facial hair is limited to a trimmed mustache that cannot extend beyond the upper lip. No beards or goattes. All sideburns must be shorter than the bottom of your ear lobe.

Employees are not allowed to wear hats (unless required for safety purposes) while at work.

That's the list I was given. They are pretty much a conservative appearing company. They are very strict in the dress code part. I guess it sets a tone for the office.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 PM

^Jebus, that sounds about like our military regs, lol.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
It's the office of a small construction engineering company. They require all employees to wear white shirts. You can wear jeans on Fridays. No golf shirts are allowed period. No off-white shirts. Shirts must be button down oxford style with collars. No tie is required. Field employees may wear jeans as long as they follow the guidelines set forth. Field employees may also wear flannel shirts over their white shirts or white or blue sweatshirts on cooler days. T-Shirts are not permitted for field employees.

They prefer blue or black slacks Monday-Tuesday with Friday a casual jeans day. Kakhi colored pants are acceptable but not prefered. Jeans must be blue denim, no black. Jeans must be neat clean and professional in appearance, no low rise hip huggers, bell bottoms or any tears or holes. Jeans should not be excessively faded. All employees must wear a belt with their trousers and shirts must be tucked in except for flannels and sweatshirts.

All tatoos must be in a non visible location, if they are on a forearm you must wear long sleeves at all times. If they are on you neck your collar must cover them. Men must remove all piercings including earings. Women are limited to 2 earings per ear maximum. All nose, lip eyebrow or any other visible piercing must be removed.

Facial hair is limited to a trimmed mustache that cannot extend beyond the upper lip. No beards or goattes. All sideburns must be shorter than the bottom of your ear lobe.

Employees are not allowed to wear hats (unless required for safety purposes) while at work.

That's the list I was given. They are pretty much a conservative appearing company. They are very strict in the dress code part. I guess it sets a tone for the office.
short sleeves are permitted. let me ask this irrelevant to the thread question, do you have a laboratory? if so what is the lab staff required to wear? i work in possibly a similar environment but in the lab, we do soils and concrete. wearing what you are saying wouldn't last long at all. unfortunately i've lived dress code 4 years of my life, shaved, reg haircut, uniform in good repair, spit shined shoes, shined brass don't think i'd do it again unless the pay was very very well, not just low six digits. i like my beard too much and it would require me to change everything. thanks for the warning we'll be on the look out for some dork in a cavi taking names
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM

Hehe, got me a few "kills" that way to with my my saab when real wheel drive cars that really would have the upper hand do not have the driver to match.... Of course my 300hp do help.....
Seriously, what kind of construction engineering are you in? I am too a civil engineer in a small business. We are so small that I sometimes are required to put on my blues and the hard hat, but we do work world wide except the US and Canada (with the exeption of Seattle King Dome (rip) and CN-Tower). We are serious on everything Except dress code. Heck I am well paid, but I can walk around in a burka if I want to, but maybe not in front of customers....
Happy New Years from Stockholm!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummen View Post
Hehe, got me a few "kills" that way to with my my saab when real wheel drive cars that really would have the upper hand do not have the driver to match.... Of course my 300hp do help.....
Seriously, what kind of construction engineering are you in? I am too a civil engineer in a small business. We are so small that I sometimes are required to put on my blues and the hard hat, but we do work world wide except the US and Canada (with the exeption of Seattle King Dome (rip) and CN-Tower). We are serious on everything Except dress code. Heck I am well paid, but I can walk around in a burka if I want to, but maybe not in front of customers....
Happy New Years from Stockholm!
I'm actually the money guy for the business. I can't take the title CFO, I don't have the right degree, but think along that line. It builds custom homes, which the market is still ok for, plus small commercial, like strip malls and club houses and rec areas for large track builders. Also has a swimming pool and hot tub install division which is as busy as it can be right now. People that are stuck in their houses are adding pools and in ground spa's to add to the value of the house now.

The owner is a 72 year old ex Marine from Korea days. He's real strict on employee appearances.

The money is ok. The opportunity is there for me to buy this business from him in 3-5 years. There is no one to take over the company, only one daughter and she wants nothing to do with it. He will sell it in the next 5 years definately maybe 3 and has indicated that I would be able to buy it if I want it. I've known him for 3 years now and a friend of mine that introduced us has know him for 15 years. He's a man of his word.

If I'm the guy running it as Operations Manager, it will be real easy to present a business plan to a bank and obtain financing for the purchase.

I'll change the dress code when it's mine. LOL. The white dress shirts definately need a tie.

HAPP NEW YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I'm driving the Cavalier on my way to the mall. Needed white button down shirts. The new job requires you to wear white button-down shirts. Ties are optional, so that's a good thing, no tie.

Well as I'm going down the road a guy in a 99-03 Mustang with a huge cowl ram hood is making his way through traffic. I can hear as he gets beside the car behind me, a Hyundai Tucson, he revs it and moves up to me and does the same. He was reving at everybody on down the line. No supercharger whine, just a louder than stock exhaust.

I moved over behind him and kinda followed him through the pack. It starts to rain a little bit as we head down the road. Sure enough I end up at a light behind him. The light turns green and he takes off a good bit faster than needed. I did the same and moved over a lane and ended up at the next light beside him. This part of the road has 3 lights in a row about an 1/8 mile apart and they always are red and aren't timed, so if you get one red they all end up being red. We're at the second.

He revs his car at me and looks over and laughs and gives me a thumbs up jokingly. Well I'm thinking that I have front wheel drive on a wet road, so I'll get better traction and the guy beside me isn't taking me seriously. I checked around and there wasn't any cops so I casually start watching the light.

As soon as the the light turned green I launched right at the edge of traction. The tool in the GT now is slightly behind so he nails it. The car completely loses traction and wiggles its tail pretty good. He tries to get traction and can't. By this time I've got 5 cars on him and I let up and coast to the next light.

I gave him the thumbs up back with the same smile and head bob he gave me. All that got me was a finger that wasn't the thumb. This time though I just took off at my normal pace and laughed as he blew his launch again and had issues with traction way down the road. I should have toasted him again, but the guy obviously couldn't drive very well and would have probably hurt someone.

It's guys like him that give the serious Mustang car guys, bad reputations.
Sounds like a guy I went to HS with. He had (I think still has) a 2001 Mustang with a V6. He dropped a lot of money on a cat back, CAI, a new chip, short throw shifter etc. I believe he got the car in the mid 14's with his mods, but he thought he was much faster than that. On rainy days I would smoke hime stop light to stop light in my stock 94 civic DX Hatch. And it was an auto on top of that. Those were good times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in