Smoked a Mustang, Really! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smoked a Mustang, Really!

I pulled up to a Mustang sounding mean, he took off, I passed him, afterwards he pulled up beside me and smoke was pouring out from under the hood. I love mustangs, they taste just like chicken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Thats what I'm talking about!

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Sweet! Congrats.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Nice kill. You got to love FORD. What body style?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 PM

good story......lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM

$hit, I gotta ask my wife to Curry some Goat tomorrow.....

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Hey Venom, your avatar has got me thinking about this tool that I work with that has your snake badges all over his Mustang GT (same body style as yours). One on each quarter panel, and one on the back bumper. The rear bumper even says Mustang GT. I hate posers, lol. Does your interior have any differences between a standard GT? This guy's interior is just plain old run of the mill rustang, was wondering if you had Cobra embroidered in the seats or different SVT gauges or something. I want to burst this guys bubble, but want to be prepared for any BS he might try throwing at me...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
Hey Venom, your avatar has got me thinking about this tool that I work with that has your snake badges all over his Mustang GT (same body style as yours). One on each quarter panel, and one on the back bumper. The rear bumper even says Mustang GT. I hate posers, lol. Does your interior have any differences between a standard GT? This guy's interior is just plain old run of the mill rustang, was wondering if you had Cobra embroidered in the seats or different SVT gauges or something. I want to burst this guys bubble, but want to be prepared for any BS he might try throwing at me...
Of course! Give me about 30 - 40 minutes and I'll post up some pictures. Working out now! lol!

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Dusty,

The 1999 Mustang Cobra was and odd bird. The bumper cover said Mustang GT. They had an SVT badge on it. The guages would be white faced SVT guages. It would have the Cobra emblems on the fenders. The seats would be leather trimmed and suede in the center, and very comfortable.

I'm betting he has a 99. Unless he has modded it, it has 320 hp if it's been fixed and isn't much better than a 13.8-14.0 car.

Other than 99 there are 2001, 2003 and 2004 Cobras and the bumper cover says Cobra on those.

The 99 and 2001 weren't supercharged. The 99 was a problem child for Ford. The car was rated at 320hp. People put them on dynos and only got 235-245 hp. They were missing 35 hp.

Here's what happened to the 99's. Ford engineers designed and tested the engine on the bench. They used the extrude hone process to make the intake flow better and they used headers for the exhaust which bumped hp from 300 to 320. When they actually put the car together the headers were lower and the exhaust didn't quite clear a crossmember. The production line guys being the geniuses they were figured out how to make it work with the help of an engineer. They flatened the exhaust slightly which raised backpressure and killed the gains. Then the intake was of poor quality and had flashing inside that the manufacturer felt would be removed by the extrude hone process. What the flashing did was block the extrude hone from working, so the intake flowed worse than the 98 intake.

Ford recalled all the 99 Cobras and fixed the issues and certified that all the cars made 270 hp at the wheels which works out to just over 320 at the crank. They used all of 2000 to correct those cars and didn't make a 2000 Cobra. They then made the bumper cover say Cobra to differentiate the 99 and 01 models.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Well you are right about the SVT gauges. Also, the rear fascia says "COBRA" but in larger lettering compared to the '01 Cobra's.

The front fascia is a dead give-away as well. No Grille, and the fog lamps are different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPNX0318.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	3412   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPNX0314.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	3413   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPNX0316.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3414  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in