Took down a modded SS Camaro in my 05 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Took down a modded SS Camaro in my 05

I have a new 05 GTO auto with less than 200 miles on it. I raced a 2001 SS Camaro, 6 speed, 4:10 gear, cat back, hypertech, and wisperlid. We went from a dig and I killed the guy, but I gave him the benefit of the dought because of traction, so he wanted to go from a roll. Now, being an auto I am normally hesitant about racing these stick guys from rolls because I know they are at an advantage. We went from a 25 and I jumped him off the punch and held him until we shut down at 70. We went a second time and he wanted to go from a 50 roll and this is where I seemed to put the biggest hurt on him because I had him by about a car and a half until almost 100mph. We went a third time from a fifty and the same thing happened. He was surprised and asked what I had done. I told him I picked it up this morning and only had 172 miles on it. I am so impressed with this car. This car is by far faster than my 98 c5 coupe auto I sold. I could be wrong, but I would bet high 12ís with a drag radial.

Last edited by newagegoat; 05-06-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:19 PM

When routinely pouncing on and killing F-Bodies on the freeway, I try to avoid trailing them too closely so that I'm not pelted by the various and sundry components they are apt to shed at speed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 PM

had an 02SS, ordered unit, SLP 1379, 345 hp, SLP dual dual cat back, Black M6, Hurst shifter, K&N, FRAM (cut up bottom airbox), MTI Lid, Z06 Clutch. No Hypertech but 160 degree stat, stock gear, and that car ran consistent 13.0's on street tires, so don't know what that SS's problem was.

could have been hypertech going backwards, as they do sometimes, he could've been a poor driver. would've thought it would been a bit closer of a race. Mabye his Ellis Juan was tired.

My SS was a nice car, no problems, and functional scoop but no comparison in quality to the ppppppp, uh, Holden

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
had an 02SS, ordered unit, SLP 1379, 345 hp, SLP dual dual cat back, Black M6, Hurst shifter, K&N, FRAM (cut up bottom airbox), MTI Lid, Z06 Clutch. No Hypertech but 160 degree stat, stock gear, and that car ran consistent 13.0's on street tires, so don't know what that SS's problem was.

could have been hypertech going backwards, as they do sometimes, he could've been a poor driver. would've thought it would been a bit closer of a race. Mabye his Ellis Juan was tired.

My SS was a nice car, no problems, and functional scoop but no comparison in quality to the ppppppp, uh, Holden
I had an 02' Z28 with a4 and 3.08 gears. Only mods were FRAM, lid and Corsa catback. It ran 13.0x on streets. The car was so consistant that 1 night I had 6 runs that were 107.59 at either 13.064 or 13.063. F bodies are fast and reliable. That said SS driver blew the race from the dig against you. You just flat out drove him. From the roll it should have been real close, 30 mph he would've started in second at about 3500rpm's, pretty good spot for him. 50 would have put him near the top of second and needing to make a shift or the bottom of 3rd and bogging a little.
Nice kills.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:53 PM

Ya know, with that said I must agree, I raced a kid in an F-body and he (and many other people that know him agreed) that he was running 8.40's in the eighth mile with nothing more than a lid and an SLP cat back!! I took him by a car but it had me thinking, maybe the guy you ran couldn't drive..... but either way you beat him and that's good enough!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:29 PM

Hmmmm An 05 LS2 GTO weighs about the same as the 01 Camaro. The GTO is good for what, 400 ponies? The F-body, with the mods listed is not in that range. It would only make sense that you put a hurt on the guy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Hmmmm An 05 LS2 GTO weighs about the same as the 01 Camaro. The GTO is good for what, 400 ponies? The F-body, with the mods listed is not in that range. It would only make sense that you put a hurt on the guy.
You're correct on all accounts but one, the '01 SS Camaro weighs about 3450 - 3550 lbs (they're much lighter than most people think - no IRS and Saturn-style plastic front clip & doors), so the Goat needs its larger herd.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:34 AM

I have a couple kills so far with only 350 miles or so and I can't imagine anything more embarressing than doing all these mods to a car like a stang, than getting beat by something that still has the paper plate in the window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in