Toyota Tundra - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toyota Tundra

I ran a guy with a new Toyota Tundra with my F-150. I've got the 5.4L and it's got the 3.73 rear end. My truck is a regular cab 2wd, the truck i ran was a 4wd 4dr extended cab. I figured my weight difference from not having the extended cab and the 4wd would equal things up. Wrongo!!!! As much as I dislike Toyota, those Tundra's are quick.

It was a 20-75 run and by that point he had 3 truck lengths on me and was pulling pretty good. He stepped down so I mashed it. He had only gone most of the way into it, and when I mashed it he planted his foot, so it wasn't a clean start. No matter how you look at it though the Ford didn't have the grunt to get the Toyota.

As a comparison I played with a guy I work with's Dodge Hemi 2wd extended cab and we are just about equal. It's a seesaw race between those two. Remeber my truck is a bunch lighter with no extended cab.

I'd say that Toyota is definately the fastest truck out there till you get into specialty stuff. Still wouldn't buy one though with all the problems Toyota is having right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Did that Tundra you ran against break down and then get recalled after he got ya?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM

Those Ford modular/Romeo engines stink. The 5.0 was far better than the 4.6 that replaced it. With both the 4.6 and 5.4, you have to rev the crap out of them before you hit peak horsepower and torque. Think of any 4.6 or 5.4 powered car that does anything without a supercharger. Exactly.

Wonder how that Tundra would do against a couple of the larger Vortecs...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say the Tundra is Toyota's fastest vehicle on the market currently. It's sad, that a truck is your company's performance leader.........
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 AM

HMMM Fergie, ya got me thinkin ... what kind of bolt-on's are available for a 4.9L straight 6? I've got an 89 F150 /300 ci straight 6 ... it's got quite a bit of torque as it is ... but I can't break the back end loose .... yet ... I've got just shy of 94K miles on her ... so it's just broke in. and yes, I've had the front end rebuilt once so far ...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 AM

there is the trd performance stuff for the toyotas which makes them even nicer to own although recalls stink. the ford modular engines don't have what it takes to make them performers as ba says without FI. now with FI they can become pretty nice motors. the 5.0 should have been updated so it doesn't split when it sees 500 hp. good to see someone felt like there was some competition out there even with the escalating gas prices
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Yeah, I saw a video of one doing low 14's in the quarter stock. Not bad for a heavy truck.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 2 go View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say the Tundra is Toyota's fastest vehicle on the market currently. It's sad, that a truck is your company's performance leader.........
The Lexus sedans are likely the performance leaders for Toyota. The IS350 has a V6 six with over 300HP in a small package. I'd bet the suspension would feel familiar to a mid-nineties Buick owner though.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post
The Lexus sedans are likely the performance leaders for Toyota. The IS350 has a V6 six with over 300HP in a small package. I'd bet the suspension would feel familiar to a mid-nineties Buick owner though.
Funny you should say that. My brother bought the Avalon he has for his wife. Her parents drive Buicks and she doesn't want to have the same car as her parents so she always drove Oldsmobiles. When Olds went away she wanted something that felt like a Buick or Olds but wasn't her fathers Buick. They bought an Avalon and she loved it. I bet it makes it back to the dealer for service work just as fast as the Tundra does too. LOL
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post

And the new IS350's actually have a really sharp, sporty suspension setup. The IS's aren't made to be kuxury coddlers. They're much more sport orientated. Kinda Lexus' answer to BMW's 3 Series.

And BTW, the new Lexus IS-F has a 400+hp 5.0 V8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in