Track tomorrow-advice welcome - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Track tomorrow-advice welcome

Going to Route 66 speedway and is first time to a real track for 1/4 mile runs.
Guess I'm looking for any input or advice from track racers. I have a 04 six speed mostly stock GTO on stock 17's rims and tires car comes with . Really only thing i have done is B&M shifter and K/N air charger . I am worried about how to launch a stick shift off line ( high rev dump clutch or mid rev work clutch easy) ( tire burn out to heat rubber up) (shift points rev wise) ?
I run car hard and fast on street every day and have driven a stick all my life. Just never on a track. Lookin for any Advice i can get to make best time on my runs. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omann
Going to Route 66 speedway and is first time to a real track for 1/4 mile runs.
Guess I'm looking for any input or advice from track racers. I have a 04 six speed mostly stock GTO on stock 17's rims and tires car comes with . Really only thing i have done is B&M shifter and K/N air charger . I am worried about how to launch a stick shift off line ( high rev dump clutch or mid rev work clutch easy) ( tire burn out to heat rubber up) (shift points rev wise) ?
I run car hard and fast on street every day and have driven a stick all my life. Just never on a track. Lookin for any Advice i can get to make best time on my runs. thanks all.
Never ran a track myself, but on the street I can tell you, you dont want to do a high rev dump. Whatever you do, do not spin those tires. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:21 AM

GM High Tech Performance ran a 13.4 in 86 degree temps by launching at 3100 and shifting at 6200. At least, thats the numbers they printed when they compared it to their test of the 05 in the november issue.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM

I have been doing a lot of reading on-line about drag racing because I am going to be going to my first drag strip here pretty soon. This is what I found. If you are going to use street tires, dont even bother going through the water box (some tracks wont even let you) or doing a burnout. Street tires are designed so they do not to heat up. So you'll just be wasteing time/money. Do not do high rev/dump clutch. Do not have wheel spin. Most tracks have this "sticky" stuff for about 30'-60' area so after a couple of runs you will find the "sweet spot" in between the clutch and gas. My recommendation is go to the track without your car, watch how every thing works, ask questions to the people drag racing, get tips on tire pressure, tires, etc.. and then go out and give her hell! I dont know about you, but my biggest fear is making a fool out of myself and/or my GTO. I wouldnt want to go out there and run like a 16 sec run because of something I did wrong and make the GOAT look like a mustang

My $.02
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_HUMBLER
I have been doing a lot of reading on-line about drag racing because I am going to be going to my first drag strip here pretty soon. This is what I found. If you are going to use street tires, dont even bother going through the water box (some tracks wont even let you) or doing a burnout. Street tires are designed so they do not to heat up. So you'll just be wasteing time/money. Do not do high rev/dump clutch. Do not have wheel spin. Most tracks have this "sticky" stuff for about 30'-60' area so after a couple of runs you will find the "sweet spot" in between the clutch and gas. My recommendation is go to the track without your car, watch how every thing works, ask questions to the people drag racing, get tips on tire pressure, tires, etc.. and then go out and give her hell! I dont know about you, but my biggest fear is making a fool out of myself and/or my GTO. I wouldnt want to go out there and run like a 16 sec run because of something I did wrong and make the GOAT look like a mustang

My $.02
Its the stuff of nightmares.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:36 AM

RIGHT!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM

Get to the track early and walk the starting area. Pay close attention to where the start line is and where the lights trip at. Do this by moving your foot like it was a tire on the track.
Make sure you follow the track officials instructions. Your best bet is to make sure you watch the instructions and what people do before you attempt to run your car. patience is tough at the strip, but pays off big time.
With street tires, as was said earlier, you are wasting rubber by doing a burnout. I pull around the water and back into the box, then just spin for a second to clean any debris off the tires. Set the rear pressure at 25. If you have an experienced drag racer with you have him watch you and look at your time slips to adjust pressures any different. Pump your front tires up to 40-45, this lowers rolling resistance.
As far as the tree is concerned, there are 3 yellow lights and 1 green. You are supposed to go on green. Top yellow will light then second yellow, then third, then green. When you think you see the bottom (3rd) yellow light go. Between the cars reaction time and yours you will end up close to the green light.
With your GTO for the first time I would suggest to run it pretty much like you would on the street. Like golfing if you try to kill your first tee shot you end up duffing it. Come up to 1500-1800 rpms and ease the clutch out fairly quick while adding gas. If you feel it bog add gas faster or slip the clutch more. More than likely you will spin and you can back off the gas a bit to reduce it, although a small amout of spin is good with streets. Watch the tach and shift as close to redline without hitting the rev limiter as you can. Don't try to stretch 3rd through the 1/4, shift at 200 rpms before redline. You'll get faster speeds and better times.
You will need a helmet, and long pants. Wear a light weight shirt even if it is cooler out. Wear comfortable shoes.
Turn your cell phone off. You don't want it to ring at the line. That has happened to me, and it kills your run.
Take everything that doesn't need to be in your car out, weight kills speed. A 1/4 tank of gas, no floor mats, remove the trunk mat, and if you dare, the jack and spare. (I'm a poet and don't know-it)
Take a bottle of windex and paper towels to clean the markings off your windshield.
That's more than enough for now. Just remember the most important things are to have fun and be safe. Don't do something stupid for an extra tenth.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM

We had no tree at HRP. Just a stop light. Red and Green, that was it.

Once you staged, you didn't know when green light was coming

Best R/T .177
Worst R/T .935 Sucked, I know.

I suggest 2500-2750 rpm launch. The B&M ought to help the nefarious 2nd to 3rd.

Have fun, and go beat'em up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in