Unwanted attention - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unwanted attention

I notice when driving the GTO that I get a lot of people wanting to race. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's not. I'm sure this is true of all high performance cars.

Last night, I was on my way up a street that's known for it's strict speeding laws and such. I was at a light and some chump in a wrecked up Neon (no offense to neons, but this wasn't even an srt-4) that must have been a five speed was revving his engine next to me. So, he pulls off. And I made the mistake of toying with him and gave it part throttle and blew past him for a sec, then let off. I say mistake because he was offended and decided to try to goad me into racing. It'd be stupid to do that because the area is so full of cops. But at first I assume he doesn't know that and I got next to him with my window down hoping he'd take my warning. Of course not. He must've mistaken my gesture for aggression because he then starts getting in front of me and putting his brakes on. I didn't let it get to me because it was such a mess. Finally, I get to my turn off and the ass slams on his brakes in the middle of the intersection and turns to follow me. But unfortunately for him, he did it right in front of a cop. So needless to say he was screwed... What does he expect Saturday night in a place like that...

Normally it's not worth mentioning runins with cars like that, but since he was such a douche I figured I'd tell you about it.

Also, a few days ago I ran into a T/A WS6. This was a bit intimidating at first. But we were in light traffic at about 7. He came next to me at a light revving his engine, and I was more than happy to oblige considering the circumstances were much better, not to mention the location. So we waited til the first group of cars took off and for the light to turn green again So, the light turns green and we took off. About dead even for a bit. But as I got to the top of third gear I got a bit ahead. Maybe half a car because I could see his front bumper out of the driver window. Well, I got to about 100 before we had to shut it down. A bend in the road that I wouldn't like to try at that speed was ahead of us... But he was a friendly dude. As we drove on we talked from our windows. He had exhaust and a tune or something. At least that's what I gathered from the window convo..

I've raced a few older Mustang GTs on that same stretch a few times; nothing to mention... So far that Neon is the only douchebag encounter I've had in the 3 months I've had the car. Lucky I guess... Anyone else have any encounters like that? It really pisses me off to know that my favorite hobby attracts stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I notice when driving the GTO that I get a lot of people wanting to race. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's not. I'm sure this is true of all high performance cars.

Last night, I was on my way up a street that's known for it's strict speeding laws and such. I was at a light and some chump in a wrecked up Neon (no offense to neons, but this wasn't even an srt-4) that must have been a five speed was revving his engine next to me. So, he pulls off. And I made the mistake of toying with him and gave it part throttle and blew past him for a sec, then let off. I say mistake because he was offended and decided to try to goad me into racing. It'd be stupid to do that because the area is so full of cops. But at first I assume he doesn't know that and I got next to him with my window down hoping he'd take my warning. Of course not. He must've mistaken my gesture for aggression because he then starts getting in front of me and putting his brakes on. I didn't let it get to me because it was such a mess. Finally, I get to my turn off and the ass slams on his brakes in the middle of the intersection and turns to follow me. But unfortunately for him, he did it right in front of a cop. So needless to say he was screwed... What does he expect Saturday night in a place like that...

Normally it's not worth mentioning runins with cars like that, but since he was such a douche I figured I'd tell you about it.

Also, a few days ago I ran into a T/A WS6. This was a bit intimidating at first. But we were in light traffic at about 7. He came next to me at a light revving his engine, and I was more than happy to oblige considering the circumstances were much better, not to mention the location. So we waited til the first group of cars took off and for the light to turn green again So, the light turns green and we took off. About dead even for a bit. But as I got to the top of third gear I got a bit ahead. Maybe half a car because I could see his front bumper out of the driver window. Well, I got to about 100 before we had to shut it down. A bend in the road that I wouldn't like to try at that speed was ahead of us... But he was a friendly dude. As we drove on we talked from our windows. He had exhaust and a tune or something. At least that's what I gathered from the window convo..

I've raced a few older Mustang GTs on that same stretch a few times; nothing to mention... So far that Neon is the only douchebag encounter I've had in the 3 months I've had the car. Lucky I guess... Anyone else have any encounters like that? It really pisses me off to know that my favorite hobby attracts stuff like that.
Yup, get that, too. I've out grown my days of street racing but get my share of challenges which I turn down.
Worst was some guy in a Silverado SS with an exhaust system and whatever else. Pulled up besided me on a fairly crowdwd freeway giving the revs wanting to race. In traffic on a heavily patroled interstate?.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Goes with the territory. You know your fast if everyone wants to race.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
get headers, cam and exhaust and your car will sound so bad hardly anybody will want to race. i haven't been challenged in a very long time.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
Goes with the territory. You know your fast if everyone wants to race.

Ha... Good call..

I don't mind street racing. Maybe I'll outgrow it or whatever, but I like a little race. Like you said though. Some people are dumb and want to do it at the wrong time. Rush hour traffic or heavily patrolled streets for example.

But for the most part, I don't mind racing. I'd like to race that Silverado SS. They come standard with all-wheel drive, right? Fun fun. If I had a truck, I'd want it to be that one.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
You showed great restraint. Not easy to do. I can attest to the same kind of morons I run in to from time to time.

Taking him up on his "invite" would be like beating up a person in a wheel chair, what's it prove?

Maybe the fine he got will deter him from attempting this the next time... maybe not.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. He probably won't learn anything. Dumbass. I wouldn't really call it restraint really just because I really afraid of getting a speeding ticket. Ha. Also, with an idiot like that, no matter how badly I blew him away in a "race" he most likely would've just kept being a dick. The other encounters I had with racers and such have been pretty cool. The guys pull up after and we chat or give eachother a thumbs up or wave or smile or something cool like that. And I feel good about that because it's not just two guys being over agressive jerks, but doing something they enjoy.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Damn recently I want to find somebody that wants to race since I haven't been to the track in a while but nobody wants to go. Maybe it is like svede says about the exhaust and headers people hear and get scared.

388 hp and 366 tq
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
get headers, cam and exhaust and your car will sound so bad hardly anybody will want to race. i haven't been challenged in a very long time.

I hardly get any challenges now. When she was stock, every other day someone wanted a taste.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM

No point at all here in Virginia now with the abusive driver fees. At $3000 a pop, it's just not worth it.

Take it to the track.

Jim Miller
'06 M6 PBM, 18", JHP gauge pack, JHP bluetooth, tint. Otherwise, pretty much stock.

Jim Miller

'06 M6 18" wheels, Phantom Black, tint, JHP Gauges & Bluetooth
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero SportWagon
'93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative #116 of 325
'91 Saab 900 Turbo Special Edition Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in