LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
VW R32 tried me...

Hey guys,

Two of my buddies flew out to visit last week, and on the way home from the airport I could see a fast mover coming up on me in the rear view. I moved over after I finished passing a car, and looked to the left lane and realized it was one of those R32's. I recognized the car (you can hear it from a mile away), I see him on base all the time, so I stayed beside him for a minute just to hear, because I knew he was gonna take off again. All the sudden... BEEP.. BEEP.. BEEP!! Away he went. I was just cruising in 6th gear, but I'm always game. He got a pretty good jump on me, but on my way past, he gave me a thumbs up.

So I slowed down and waited for him, just so I could tell him that his car sounds pretty awesome (I love how those little I6's sound), and he starts honking again! First honk I was ready. I walked him pretty hard, then I shut down at 120. had him by at least 3 semi lengths, and around here, semi's pull double 53 footers!

First race was from 70, second was from 55. He had one person in the car, I had 3 guys all weighing 210+, with a backseat full of luggage (because nothing fits in our trunks).

I really thought the VW would pull harder, considering the GTO's are quite a bit heavier, but he couldn't make up for the lack of torque. It gave my buddies a big smile too, since it was the first time they had seen my car.

I'm all stock, with a spintech catback.

Last edited by Albyjo; 12-11-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albyjo View Post
I really thought the VW would pull harder, considering the GTO's are quite a bit heavier, but he couldn't make up for the lack of torque.
"Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races."

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Nice kill. I enjoy blowing the doors off a guy at work's VW GTI on a regular basis. Funny looking little cars, looks kind of like a roller skate to me. He just got a bigger down pipe for his turbo and a tune and is now a stage 2 blah blah blah and it still makes me smile when I go by, peeling the paint off his car, lol.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Good story. The guy in the Vdub had to know he didn't have a chance but it's always cool when you run into someone that just enjoys a good run no matter the outcome.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys! It's hard to find someone that is willing to play around here. I'd like to get the car to a track next summer. I think I'm gonna try to head out to Brainerd. I'm not sure of any other tracks close to my area. I need to upgrade the stock shifter before I go though. I used to drive truck, and I've been in freightliners with better shifters than this car. Thats one of my very few complaints though!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 AM

You'll be complaining about the wheel hop after a few runs at the strip.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah probably. I'm deploying in about 6 weeks though, so my big plan is to get some pedders products as soon as I get home, and then cam/heads.

Hopefully I don't run into an R32 at the strip before all of this though...I'll get crushed off the line!!

Edit: I ran to the store just after posting the above response, and my car just wheel hopped on ICE!!! Really, WTF?!?!

Last edited by Albyjo; 12-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 AM

i was thinking about this. i've only seen an R32 once, and i had to look it up just to figure out if it was real or not! beleve it or not, those cars do haul ass in the top end, even if it takes a while to get there.

i was riding with my brother, 2 bikes, i'm on my ZX-14, and my Bro is on my GSXR 600. my poor brother was trying to race this VDub, and that 600 tops out at about 140 ish. i was kinda sitting there pacing them both and my bro topped out... R32 kept pulling, i was amazed! thats when i pulled up closer and saw the R32 logo. i never seen one before that night, and never seen one again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 AM

I've seen a couple. They basically look the same as a GTI but have dual exhaust coming out the back underneath the license plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in