Vw? Wtf? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vw? Wtf?

This Black Jetti with no marking and nice low profile tires did a fly by this morning in a 70MPH zone and I thought, hmmm, time to blow out the soot. Little did I know this thing was going to give me hell all the way to the end. I got on his tail, when the coast cleared we did a 80+ kick. All I could smell was cats and I noticed I had her mashed to the floor. After a sucessful 4th 5th 6th combo and no room to pass, I did have to let off in 6th to avoid pushing. But for what it's worth, this VW was a close match. We dodged two fart cans and lucky for me taching 4500+ I got the jump in 4th. This time it was a 100+ kick. Again, he stuck to me like glue, I may have pulled one car if that. This was the fastest VW I've every seen. After a 145+ pass (last time I looked), I pulled maybe 1 1/2 cars and he was unable to pull back up on my side or get close to my rear. The guy got off and I was unable to even give a thumbs up. WTF? Is there something out there by VW that's damn fast or was he on the bottle? I didn't loose on any kick but I didn't gain any doors either (except after shifting into 6th on the 100+ mph kicks.) He never pull away nor was he able to push or pass. He did stick to me like glue.
I think it's time for FAST, Headers, and what the hell, a bottle?

Last edited by aintmisbehavinn; 09-21-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM

the R32's are wicked 500+ hp.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 PM

I saw a 1.8 turbo w/a 300 lb guy run 12.4 at the track

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 AM

r32 is a mean car. i test drove one before purchasing the goat. the 1.8T can be modded to something fierce too although after listening to a co-worker vw's are about as high strung as they come. the r32 is a 3.2 v6 pushing 240 hp and awd. it has the power to spin all fours. i did it on the test drive. but this is a golf that's been souped up not the jetta. jetta vr6 is quick or can be made quick too. same engine as the r32. good competition is hard to find
http://cars.about.com/od/sportssedans/fr/vwr32_tst.htm
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was a Jetta. If it had 500 ponies, I'd say I did pretty good. Anything else it was a damn close race. I did come out on top but I got to admit, this thing was faster than any Z car (350 or 28) any Mustang, can't get the Corvette guys to kick. I'm just surprised the car, whatever the hell it was with VW on the front stayed glued up to 140. I think if I had more straightaway I felt like I would have pulled away in 6th but from 3rd to 5th, it was all I could do to stay ahead of him.............................
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:21 PM

I've seen some pretty quick VW diesels too. Nothing like what you said, but they've got Liquid Propane injection and a lot of engine work. The right amount of money can make darn near any car fast.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintmisbehavinn View Post
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was a Jetta. If it had 500 ponies, I'd say I did pretty good. Anything else it was a damn close race. I did come out on top but I got to admit, this thing was faster than any Z car (350 or 28) any Mustang, can't get the Corvette guys to kick. I'm just surprised the car, whatever the hell it was with VW on the front stayed glued up to 140. I think if I had more straightaway I felt like I would have pulled away in 6th but from 3rd to 5th, it was all I could do to stay ahead of him.............................

No stock VW's have 500hp. And no stock VW's are capable of outrunning either a 350Z or a Z-28. If it was a Jetta, it was prolly either a 1.8T or the new 2.0T. I have the same engine in my Audi A4, and they can be made pretty damn fast. It's also possible it was an R32. They're decently quick, but not GTO quick. They have 240hp, but there is aftermarket support for them that make make them very lethal.....
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
No stock VW's have 500hp. And no stock VW's are capable of outrunning either a 350Z or a Z-28. If it was a Jetta, it was prolly either a 1.8T or the new 2.0T. I have the same engine in my Audi A4, and they can be made pretty damn fast. It's also possible it was an R32. They're decently quick, but not GTO quick. They have 240hp, but there is aftermarket support for them that make make them very lethal.....
so the r32 can't outrun a 350z? i'd say properly driven the r32 would give a ls1 gto a handful. ls2 should walk away as long as there's no heatsoak.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

This one had no badges. Stock for stock, he was a good run. One of the longest, most illegal I've been in (including my Suzuki 1100 and that red vette.)

I don't think the VW was stock regardless of how many horses, turbo's, or whatever etc.. etc.. I can't see a turbo 1 point anything running that fast unless he had major mods and on the bottle. I doesn't sound realist that AWD could turn all those axles on 100+ kicks either. Stock Z cars gave up after they were welded at 120. This guy was like a fly buzzing around my rear end and everytime I swatted him he just kept landing on my rear quarter.

In the other hand, I did just filled up, AC was on, and a cup of coffee in the first cup holder (which did cause me to miss 4th once.)

We had three major kicks over 100, he didn't hold on to his doors until maybe 140.

I love the debate, but for what's it's worth, I was very surprised. I'm sure he was laughing his a$$ off thinking I was thinking see ya but beware.

Time to make some changes...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM

welcome to the turbo world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in