Wed. night test and tune - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wed. night test and tune

Went to Gainesville wed. night. Didn't let the car cool down enough, plus it was hot and humid. Was between 80-85 and 85-100% humidity. There was dew on the cars constantly.
My first run was a (I found out latter) 17 year old in a Mach 1. He had a chip and an intake. He told me he was a big Honda fan and the only reason he was driving the Mach was because he got it as a grad present. We came out of the hole with him slightly in the lead. I reeled him in quick and mostof the way through second walked away from him. The car felt weak and I didn't get out of third for the run. Hit the rev limiter 1-2 car lengths from the end. 14.2 at 100.77 vs 16.2. He said his car shut off, which I don't believe. I think he missed a 2-3 shift. He said as he went for 2nd it shut off. but he still ran a 9.5 1/8 at 74 versus my 9.3 at 78. No way he wasn't in that thing through second.
Well he wanted to run again and I did a stupid thing and hot lapped. I grabbed 4th a little early this time and trimmed a tenth to 14.1 at 101.37 to his 13.9 at 102.69. Needless to say I was bummed.
I found another 05GTO and parked by him. I took the fuel rail covers off, big diff in cooling and holding heat. The other guy ran his Impulse blue/ blue. He got 15.2 and 14.9 for the first time ever at a strip and only 1300 miles. He later ran a 14.5.
After a good cool down I ran a 13.7 at 103.73. Found Mach guy again. He was bragging about his 13.8 so I offered a run again after a good cool down. We got into the line for the last run of the night and 3 cars from the end of pit row he told me he had to go and bolted. Ended up against a 79 Malibu with a built 350. I ran 13.6 at 104.77 vs a 14.7.
Maybe I'll catch the Mach again some night. Hopefully a cool night, or after my car is broken in fully. What the heck if I start falling back I can always let up and say my car shut off.LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:44 PM

Awesome Fergy! I am thinking about running mine at the strip in a couple weekends. I wonder if the Ford suffers from the same high performance temp problem that our LS2 does?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Even John Force loses sometimes.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Awesome Fergy! I am thinking about running mine at the strip in a couple weekends. I wonder if the Ford suffers from the same high performance temp problem that our LS2 does?
I think everybody suffers. From the design on the intake temp sensor and the way the intake and MAF sensor get heat soaked, I'd say we are worse off. I think it really helped by taking the GTO fuel rail covers off, to cool the coil packs.

Let me know where and when, we aren't that far apart. It's great to get out and watch a goat run. Bradenton is always fast and worth the trip.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 01:39 AM

Having owned both ('04 Mach and '05 GTO) I think that the GTO suffers quite a bit more with heat soak. Hot lapping in the GTO is not a good idea. The Mach suffers from heat soak as well but not on the level of the GTO. The '05 GTO is the quicker car in most cases between the two but a well driven Mach is not to be taken lightly... A Mach with nothing more than a gear and DR's will scare the hell out of a stock 03/04 Cobra in the 1/4 not to mention our GTO's.... If you have never driven one you should.. (Pay no mind to the crap interior). They are impressive cars and truely worthy of the Mach-1 name.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldodroptop
Having owned both ('04 Mach and '05 GTO) I think that the GTO suffers quite a bit more with heat soak. Hot lapping in the GTO is not a good idea. The Mach suffers from heat soak as well but not on the level of the GTO. The '05 GTO is the quicker car in most cases between the two but a well driven Mach is not to be taken lightly... A Mach with nothing more than a gear and DR's will scare the hell out of a stock 03/04 Cobra in the 1/4 not to mention our GTO's.... If you have never driven one you should.. (Pay no mind to the crap interior). They are impressive cars and truely worthy of the Mach-1 name.
As a reformed Mustang driver that still has a soft spot

Most guys stock are getting 13.3 - 13.6 out of the Mach. With the chip and intake work this one was capable of high 12's low 13's with the right driver. Ford really got the straightline drivetrain right in the Mach and the 03'-04' Cobra. They blew it with the 2V 4.6 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in