Went to the track - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the track

I could pretty much write that heading every week.

Took the Z28 this time and went to Desoto Raceway in Bradenton Florida.

Great night for running. At 7:00 the temperature was only 70 degrees. It dropped to the high 50's by the time they closed but the humidity came up to 100% and the air pressure was low. DA was at 1500 for most of the night.

I've done a couple things to the car since the last time I had it at the track. I added a Magnaflow cat-back. I had Corsa's on my previous Camaro's, and they are better but it's a cool $1100 for the Corsa and I got the Magnaflow for $400. There isn't $700 worth of difference.

I also bought and installed a Diablosport Predator tune. I'm using the canned tune, guessing that no matter how good I think I am, the folks at Diablosport probably know how to tune the car better than I do.

My first pass was a 13.11 at 108.45. I cut a 1.98 60' and was real happy. I was sure that as the temperature dropped and my car cooled I was going to see a nice 12's on it.

I had one other run with the track prepped decent and got a 2.08 60' and a 13.24 at 107.91.From there they forgot to keep the track prepped. My 60's went into the toilet and so did the runs.

I had a 2.28, a 2.335 and a 2.441 60' and was running mid 13's at 106-107.

It was so bad I even tried a couple passes with the TC on. They were 2.3's.

Saw an 05 GTO that ran mid 13.'s at 105-106. Major traction issues for him too.

Guy in a Shelby GT-500 vert ran a 13.4 with a 2.28 60' and called it quits.

Couple Neon guys were running real good. Low 13's even with the traction issues.

The best run of the night was against a late 80's Mazda RX7. The guy had done his own turbo on it and a bunch of other work. He had a run when he first got there of 12.8 at 112. I had a better reaction time. He had a better 60' 2.31 versus a 2.44 and a better 1/8 mile. Then the LS1 decided to show him a thing or two. We ended up with identical runs of 13.606 and my mph were 106.46 and his was 106.45. I got the win thanks to the reaction time.

I've never had a race where the two cars ran an identical time and for all practical purposes an identical mph.

Raced a guy in an 07 Mustang GT. He had headers, cat-back, an intake and a tune. He ran a 13.6 to my 13.4.

All in all a fun night that could have been better if they would have sprayed a bit of VHT on the track.

Last edited by fergyflyer; 11-29-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM

NICE RUNS FERGY. THE TUNE AND MAGS MADE A NICE DIFFERENCE ON THE LS1- Z.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Very nice runs.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Very good time for a basically stock LS1. Congrats.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
Very good time for a basically stock LS1. Congrats.
Thanks Bluebeast.

There were several Neons there. I spent most of the night camped out with them. They were good guys and very respectful of others and other cars.

Most of them were running better than my Camaro. One guy got into the 11's. He was pretty hardcore. The car didn't have any interior except for a drivers seat. Anything that weighed more than a couple ounces was removed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Thanks Bluebeast.

There were several Neons there. I spent most of the night camped out with them. They were good guys and very respectful of others and other cars.

Most of them were running better than my Camaro. One guy got into the 11's. He was pretty hardcore. The car didn't have any interior except for a drivers seat. Anything that weighed more than a couple ounces was removed.
When I ran my 11.7 I had removed the interior. It's pretty easy to get out it's only 8 bolts holding eveything in and takes about 20 minutes to remove.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
When I ran my 11.7 I had removed the interior. It's pretty easy to get out it's only 8 bolts holding eveything in and takes about 20 minutes to remove.
He didn't have door panels, a headliner, the glove box door, wiper blades to name a bit of the stuff taken off the car. He said that when the track is properly prepped he can get low 11's and even had a ticket with a 10.9 on it that he did in the spring.

Another Neon guy showed up and took his seats and such out in about 35-40 minutes. I gave him a hand switching from the drag slicks back to street tires and putting the interior in and it took the two of us about 30 minutes for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in