Went to the track today!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the track today!!

It was so much more fun taking a 13 second manual over a low 14 second auto!!! Makes the run alot more interesting.

I only got 3 runs in. When we got there it was HOT!!! Sun was out, high 80's, just not even fun to be out there. I let the car cool down for about 45 minutes (no ice) and got in the lanes. Well there were ALOT of people in the lanes and they were giving the racecars and bikes priority over the street cars. So I sat there a while, and once I got to the front of the line i started the car and left it on. Well THAT was a bad idea. They let 2 street car lanes, 2 racecar lanes, and a lone bike go before I got to run, so it was GOOD and hot. So I laid down a freakin' weak 14.1 @ 100. The run was great, semi-decent launch (bad 60, but it didn't spin much), and I hit every gear perfectly, it was JUST SO HOT!

So I put some ice on the intake and let it sit for about an hour and 15 minutes.

While I was waiting for the car to cool down, it became overcast with the afternoon sun coming though the holes in the clouds and it made for some SWEET pictures. But more importantly the temperature dropped dramatically. Probably to the high 70's or low 80's.

After all that it hit a sweet 13.454 at 107.34 <--- That WAS AWESOME!! It barked 1-3 and then chirped 4th going down the track. No powershifting, just took the spare and tools out. Completely stock. I went a 13.71 at 105 after a 15 or so minute cool down, no ice.

I was REALLY impressed with the trap speed. I was expecting only 105 or 106. 107 made me REALLY happy. 13.45 was about what I expected my first time out. I know I have alot of room for improvement.

Heat is REALLY BAD on this thing, I now understand just what heat will do to this car (7mph!?!). I'm taking a couple bags of ice with me next time. I also didn't really do a burnout because "vnamvet" is buying my wheels and I had to be nice to them haha. So on something wider than a 235 I'll be able to launch a little better, hopefully. I had a 2.160 60' on the good run, the others were 2.2's. It was a good time, but I need to air the tires down a little more next time (they were at 32psi), and maybe I'll have a tune on it by the next track day (Oct. 30th). The average temperature for Oct. 30th in Cecil was low 80's IIRC (and so far the weather has been close to the average), and maybe it will be overcast so it will be even cooler. I want a 13.2 stock and I'll be EXTREMELY happy. If I have a shifter and tune... and learn to launch better... 13.1 or even 13.0's How sweet would THAT be.

EDIT:
I got a picture, more are coming. It was moved... thanks!!
Click

Last edited by slonlo_350; 10-10-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Pretty nice times, keep working and you'll have low 13's.
Sweet pic!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:51 PM

Leave the ice at home... Do this instead http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=fan+relay

It really works wonders.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldodroptop
Leave the ice at home... Do this instead http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=fan+relay

It really works wonders.
Or use the "racing cooler".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, thats cool idea and all, but not for $200. Thats tune money right there... (got a friend with the FULL compliment of HP Tuners... this friend being the "LSx" side of RWTD).

Glad 1 Gallon Freezer bags full of ice + tune > $200 gel freezer pack.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonlo_350
Yeah, thats cool idea and all, but not for $200. Thats tune money right there... (got a friend with the FULL compliment of HP Tuners... this friend being the "LSx" side of RWTD).

Glad 1 Gallon Freezer bags full of ice + tune > $200 gel freezer pack.
Get the tune AND the cooler. Plus you can't leave the freezer bags of ice on the car while you're running it, you can with the cooler!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover
Plus you can't leave the freezer bags of ice on the car while you're running it,
Ohh yeah? Well you sir... have NO idea how redneck I can be!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevnR6
Ohh yeah? Well you sir... have NO idea how redneck I can be!!!
HAHAHAHA

The track officials might have something to say about that. But then this IS South Georgia Motor Sports park. A friend of mine has made several 11 second passes with no helmet, shorts, no shoes and CERTAINLY no cage and even no D/S loop (he has a loop now though). They aren't big on "rules" there. But dripping water might upset some people.

But I'll pass on the cooler, its a good idea though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in