what cars have you smoked so far? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what cars have you smoked so far?

I was visiting subaru sti forums and I saw that they talk a lot of sh** about the new GTO. has anyone of you experienced an sti or evo on the road or any other cars? I really wanna know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:18 AM

Are those the ones with the big ass scoop in the hood and the HUGE wing in the back? If so, I have been desparately trying to get lined up with one - there's a couple in the area. I got close to being at a stoplight with one, but he chickened out and turned off.

So far I've officially burned off 3 different Mustangs, and an unknown rice burner (they all look the same to me!) and immeasurable numbers of generic cars/suv's who's owners think they are in the same class as a GTO when they hear the rumble at a stop light. I don't even bother looking at them and "normal" GTO acceleration has them about 3' from the line when I'm across the street.

---Larry
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 AM

all things being equal,(driver, both stock, etc.) the wrx sti would smoke a GTO. IIRC the sti does 0-60 in the 4's, and does the 1/4 in the 13's. I imagine the phenominal 0-60 is due a lot to the AWD.

That said the sti is lighter, and lacks many of the ammenities that the GTO has. It is loud as anything, has a harsh ride, and last year didn't even come with an audio system. It's like the Acura Integra type-R all over again. Comparing the two cars is apples and oranges in a sense.

I was going to purchase an STi, but in reality it probably would be impractical for me due to the harsh ride and loud cabin.

Let me sum it up this way, my father would never be cought dead in an STi, it is very boy racer, is loud, rough riding, and basically a street legal rally car. On the other hand, my father loves the interior and ride of the GTO, says its very comfortable etc, and loves the power he gets as an added bonus.

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:31 AM

An STi will outrun a Porsche 911 to 60, and maybe to 100. Methinks a decently-driven STi would easily hand a stock Goat its ass in a stoplight-stoplight drag or canyon-burning. Like what Doug said, however, they are sake-burning go-karts...nowhere near the same class of car as the GTO.

On the freeeway, though...buh bye now. Buh bye.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:21 PM

Definitely doesn't sound like anything I've seen around here then.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM
Definitely doesn't sound like anything I've seen around here then.

Actually your description sounds like the STi, unless its a wrx in STi clothing. Hey, just try to get him on the highway

Also the driver will make a HUGE difference. A few years back I used to run my VW GTi VR6 occassionally at the track. Totally stock, not the best performing car. mid to high 15's in the 1/4. Anyway I routinely beat people in camaro's and mustang's that just were poor drivers, they would get off the line slow and often miss gears.
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 03:28 PM

GTO VS STI....the GTO would get owned. The stock STI is good for 13.2 consistently. I have been begging to get lined up next to a GTO with my SRT-4. Can't seem to find anyone around my area, but I am pretty sure I would hang with the Goats. With the mods I have I have seen 13.2 in 1320 runs.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Wow, I didn't know so many people race in magazines...

So what the sti does 0-60 in 4. whatever.... stock for stock, the GTO would win hands down...

The GTO Puts around 300-320 to the wheels depending on the weather...

The STI puts around 250-260 down...

The GTO weighs about 3700 lbs while the STI weighs in at about 3300

The reason the GTO is slower in the quarter and 60 is wheelspin... It has too much power for its tires...

But who cares about 0-60, how many races are 0-60....

Why dont you line the two up on a highway and go from a 40 roll up to say around 140... I know the GTO and Its LS1 will have no problem getting up there... But the STI with its oversized wing and useless hoodscoop the STi will be approachign its top speed while the GTo will cruise to just over 160 road permitting....

I am sick of people saying, "my car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds" OK who cares... its only 60 MPH... show me 0-150 and i will be impressed... but can the sti make it up there... i dont think so, becasue it is designed with higher gears and turbos to sell cars and all that, but it will struggle up top becasue it is not as well designed as the GTO... The GTO/Monaro was designed to be at high speeds such as 120 and above, cars such as the STI were designed to rally and be at speeds under 100 MPH and go into a turn quickly, but it lacks the speed... If you go on VIR, Pocono, Nurburgring, laguna seca, Sebring, Or daytona and run a GTO vs. the STI... I will bet my life that the gto will win...

Apples to oranges... Either way GTO is still Superior in speed
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 PM

Ill stick with the GTO

You can keep the STI. I will stick with the GTO with all the creature comforts of a daily drive car. The STI is good for one thing only - rally racing with lots of low end torque.

Plus, who wants to look like a total dork with that big ass wing on the car.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 PM

The STi is one of those pesky little ricers that actually grew up to be a real pain in the azz. The Vette guys are constantly bothered by these things... here's a Motor Trend write up... 3 pages... last page has some numbers.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...ub/index2.html
This is the every thing you wanted to know about your arch enemy site...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html

Now the really sad part, this car can be made to go faster for cheap !!!!!

The STi will hold a Vette (non Z06) right to the end of the 1/4 mile... it's any one's race... just depends on who makes a mistake. No room for error here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in