What does it take to turn 12's in 2005's - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does it take to turn 12's in 2005's

Just like the title says guys. I was wondering what items are needed to CONSISTANTLY run 12's in the 1/4 all day long, and do this reliably and be able to repeat it in a street type setting.There are probably some freak cars that can do this stock. However I want to leave the tire pressure alone ,keep the air filter in, etc. What is needed, what needs to be bulletproofed for long term and how much will all this stuff cost? Thank you in advance for everyones expert advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:21 PM

I'd say a set of slicks and a good driver.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM

We did it with just nittos. 12.9's one day 12.8's at 107mph the next week.

With headers, ASP pulley and K&N cone filter it ran 12.6's @ 110mph consistanly. A good driver will get 1.9 60 foot times. If your not getting that keep practicing because the car isn't being ran to it's full potential.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 07:25 PM
HRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
I'd say a set of slicks and a good driver.
Yeppers......couldn't agree more.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 10:46 PM

I just went 12.895 at 109..01 bone stock this weekend. It wasn't too cool either, about65-70 degrees. My first trip to the track last weekend netted a 13.05 at 110. I don't know if I have a freak or what, but I only have 1800 miles so it's not even completely broken in.
I set my tire pressure to 45 front 23 rear and just do a clean-off burnout. I'm not getting any wheel-hop, and I'm not sure what I'm doing different than everybody else. What's real interesting is with my Z06 wheelhop was a problem. The car is stock right down to the paper filter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
I just went 12.895 at 109..01 bone stock this weekend. It wasn't too cool either, about65-70 degrees. My first trip to the track last weekend netted a 13.05 at 110. I don't know if I have a freak or what, but I only have 1800 miles so it's not even completely broken in.
I set my tire pressure to 45 front 23 rear and just do a clean-off burnout. I'm not getting any wheel-hop, and I'm not sure what I'm doing different than everybody else. What's real interesting is with my Z06 wheelhop was a problem. The car is stock right down to the paper filter.
Have you posted this time over in LS1GTO.COM? As far as I know no one knows of any 05GTO's running 12s stock. You should post over at that website in the drag racing forum. And congrates
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer

Could you describe you launch technique? (launch rpm, clutch release tech, etc)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Congrats Fergyflyer, you are a champion!!!!That's a great time!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK05GTO
Could you describe you launch technique? (launch rpm, clutch release tech, etc)
Last week i was running 13.4 and 13.5 at Orlando speedworld, and I found out a day later that some guys at Gainesville ran almost the exact same times. I'm thinking the air was really bad for the 13.5 and really good for the 12.895. The first trip I ran 13.1-13.0.
I'm pumping up the fronts to 45 for less resistance. I'm dropping the backs to 23. I drive around the water and back up into it. I do a clean-off burnout. I basically take it up to 3k or so and dump off the clutch and run up to 6k or so real quick. Cleans dust and stones off the tires. I usually stage very shallow, and tend to roll early, and I've been getting 2.1-2.0 60' times. Not great not bad. I launch at 2000-2200 if the track is good and sticky, if not I'm using 1700. I feather the clutch out fairly quickly, and add a moderate amount of gas. I guess you could say I'm launching like traction control without retarding the timing or applying the brakes. Very little wheelspin. I'm probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through 1st before I'm all in. I lift most of the way but not all the way on the 1-2 shift and I feather back in to limit wheelspin. I guess I've been getting lucky as far as the rev limiter is concerned, I haven't hit it yet. I don't shift until the needle is at 6300-6400. I sit in the car and prctice 2-3 with the engine off hundreds of times. That is my worst shift. That said it is a 1/2 pedal shift and I'm all in immediately. If I don't chirp the tires I didn't do it right. Also I'm lifting on the gas as I'm hitting the clutch, and I'm pulling towards the next gear before the clutch is engaged. A semi powershift. That's it.

Thanks, but lucky more like it than champion.
The 13.4 run last week was versus an 03 Cobra that was bone stock. He ran 13.5, but at a higher speed. He almost caught at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in