User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What Point do You Give Up

I go racing with a bunch of Ford guys.

Guy one has a 01-02 Bullit. I'm not sure which year. He is trying to keep the car original so has only added an intake.

Guy two has a 94 5.0 GT. He has added a Cobra 5.0 from 1993 and it also has headers, exhaust, cold air intake, DR's, an MSD ignition and a tune.

Guy three has an 07 GT. He has 285 width 19 in tires. He has gone to 3.73 gears, an intake, exhaust and a tune. His car is an A5. It most closly matches my Camaro on the mod front.

Guy four has a 2003 Mach 1 with a manual. He has an exhaust, an intake and a tune.

My car is an 02 Z28. I haven't had the gears installed yet so I have stock 2.73's . It has an intake, a catback and a Diablosport tune. I've got Nitto 555r DR's.

Especially guy 3, but all of them keep telling me that the next mod will be the one that catches my car.

Well we ran tonight. It was extremely hot and humid. A guy in a stock S197 A5 ran a 14.9 and a 15.1. A guy in a BMW 335i with a tune, a larger intercooler and an intake, all from Dinan, ran a 13.4.

I ran a 13.6 and a 13.4, the slower run was a just pull in through the gate and into the pit lanes and run, no lowering tire pressure and no cool off.

The Bullit and the 93 with the Cobra motor couldn't break into the 14's. The Mach ran a 13.7 and a 13.8. The S197 ran two 14.0's. An 03 Cobra that was not with the group ran a 13.3 and then ran a 13.5 and a 14.1 since it was so hot.

At what point do you give up and realize that new Ford technology, old Ford technology, and real old Ford technology can't match the LS1, even when it's a mod for mod match. The worst part is I get 21 around town and 28 highway and the S197 guy gets 17-19 in town and 23-25 highway.

Maybe the ECO-Boost V6 with 365 hp will finally be able to match the LS1 in a Mustang.

By the way, the times were real bad, but that's what happens when you have 87 degree heat and 93 percent humidty and poor air pressure. We had a DA of 3100 feet and we are just below 100'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 AM

Sounds to me like them there ford guys are just plain stupid. They think that nothing on the planet can beat them because it is a ford. Reckon they want to try me around here?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Before I got my 06 M6 I had an 08 GT. Those numbers and results sound about right. Yeah the worst kept secret is that Ford is going to a 5.0 DOHC for the 2011 Mustang GT. Should be pushing about 400/400. With the weight differential between it and the Challenger and Camaro it should outperform both of them. It almost does in it's current form. About time for a new mill too. The 4.6 modular has been a good workhorse but it's time has passed.

2006 Quicksilver Metallic
M6

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
Before I got my 06 M6 I had an 08 GT. Those numbers and results sound about right. Yeah the worst kept secret is that Ford is going to a 5.0 DOHC for the 2011 Mustang GT. Should be pushing about 400/400. With the weight differential between it and the Challenger and Camaro it should outperform both of them. It almost does in it's current form. About time for a new mill too. The 4.6 modular has been a good workhorse but it's time has passed.
I agree with you on this; not totally passed but definetly near EOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
I go racing with a bunch of Ford guys.

Guy one has a 01-02 Bullit. I'm not sure which year. He is trying to keep the car original so has only added an intake.

Guy two has a 94 5.0 GT. He has added a Cobra 5.0 from 1993 and it also has headers, exhaust, cold air intake, DR's, an MSD ignition and a tune.

Guy three has an 07 GT. He has 285 width 19 in tires. He has gone to 3.73 gears, an intake, exhaust and a tune. His car is an A5. It most closly matches my Camaro on the mod front.

Guy four has a 2003 Mach 1 with a manual. He has an exhaust, an intake and a tune.

My car is an 02 Z28. I haven't had the gears installed yet so I have stock 2.73's . It has an intake, a catback and a Diablosport tune. I've got Nitto 555r DR's.

Especially guy 3, but all of them keep telling me that the next mod will be the one that catches my car.

Well we ran tonight. It was extremely hot and humid. A guy in a stock S197 A5 ran a 14.9 and a 15.1. A guy in a BMW 335i with a tune, a larger intercooler and an intake, all from Dinan, ran a 13.4.

I ran a 13.6 and a 13.4, the slower run was a just pull in through the gate and into the pit lanes and run, no lowering tire pressure and no cool off.

The Bullit and the 93 with the Cobra motor couldn't break into the 14's. The Mach ran a 13.7 and a 13.8. The S197 ran two 14.0's. An 03 Cobra that was not with the group ran a 13.3 and then ran a 13.5 and a 14.1 since it was so hot.

At what point do you give up and realize that new Ford technology, old Ford technology, and real old Ford technology can't match the LS1, even when it's a mod for mod match. The worst part is I get 21 around town and 28 highway and the S197 guy gets 17-19 in town and 23-25 highway.

Maybe the ECO-Boost V6 with 365 hp will finally be able to match the LS1 in a Mustang.

By the way, the times were real bad, but that's what happens when you have 87 degree heat and 93 percent humidty and poor air pressure. We had a DA of 3100 feet and we are just below 100'.
Fergy, what made you post this? You have Mustang friends that you hang out with, maybe regularly. What is this post gonna do for you at the end of the day? Is it gonna help you bond better with you friends, keep the rivalry going? What?

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Would like to see that. I expect a price increase, probly more than what the Camaro would cost. Lets see Ford improves the fuel economy because the 4.6 sux for mpg/performance.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I drove a Mustang with that 5.0 in it at a track event in California in the summer of 2007. The Ford engineers kept calling it the Boss 302, but I think it really had 304 cu in or 307 or something other than 302. My understandng from talking to them was the 2010 Mustang was going to have it as a package option, kinda like the Bullitt.

What they really need to do is throw the towel in on the Modular V8. It was designed to be an economical V8 to build and there are a bunch of compromises in it. Without FI it really doesn't make much power. Their trucks are failing in the power department and their cars have never had superiority in the power department with it.

The ECOBoost V6 is the way to go. They have 365 hp out of it in a Lincoln. Think better breathing intake and more efficient exhaust for a Mustang and then tune it a bit and you have a Mustang that has in the 400 hp ballpark and is lighter with the V6 powerplant. It also gets better fuel economy.

I'm just venting a bit here Venom. I get abused all the time by these guys. Meanwhile they keep trying and failing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 AM

^

Sounds like what you were driving may have been the 5.0 Cammer, which is basically a bored and stroked 4.6 with high flow everything and high compression. It's basically made for racing applications.

As far as 2010 that was the rumor that Mustang folks had heard. That is was supposed to get the new engine but for whatever reason it was delayed a year. For the ecoboost, people have thrown out the idea of putting it in the Stang, but to date there has been no indication that it will appear until the next generation around the 2014/15 timeframe. I agree that it is a very good engine with plenty of potential. We shall see.

2006 Quicksilver Metallic
M6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM

How 'bout that turbo 4.0L straight six that Ford has been making in Australia for their F6 Typhoons? 400hp/tq flywheel and the torque curve peaks and holds from 2,000R's up, similar to the way the LNF does in the Solstice GXPs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 AM

I'm actually a ford fan (and Dodge, Chevy, Nissan ETC.) and it'll be nice to see Ford finally make some real power stock. It would be amazing to see the Ecobbost offered in the lesser models but I doubt they would use that engine in the base stang for the simple matter of the added expense. The 5 liter should return the Mustang to the glory days like in the 80s.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM

What Ford needs to do is bring back the Mercury Cylcone, and not screw it up. And not be afraid to build 8s with serious cubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in