Who have you burned lately/ - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who have you burned lately/

This could be an interesting thread. Sorry if it has been started before, I looked several pages back and could not find anything.

I pulled up beside a brand new 2005 or 06? Subaru WRX STi today. A middle-aged man was driving and gave me the "look". So, race was on. His 300HP turbo mini car was pretty quick off the line and jumped about 3/4 a car length ahead of me. After I shifted to second I closed it to even up. Jamming down to third I pulled two car lengths away and at 85MPH we called off the chase, I gave him a wave, he gave me a big smile, and off I went. He knew that he'd been beat, he laid that golden fiddle at my feet (sorry, broke into a little Charlie Daniels Devil went down to Georgia there). In any case, I was pretty impressed by this little turbocharged go-cart. I have not been able to find the curb weight of this cart but I'm certain the turbocharger and weight advantage are what gave it the zip off the line.

Now, how about other "victory" posts with details (or any of those unthinkable defeats, ie, cars to watch out for). Tell your stories here...

----------------

BTW, found curb weight of the WRX STi, it is 3263 vs 3725. That is a 460+ lb advantage and with the turbocharger spun up...it was a worthy opponent...I assume (or was it only close because of my driving?)

Last edited by Russ2005; 11-26-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 AM

Yes, the STI is a very fast car. And you're very lucky he wasn't modified from the sounds of it. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I know they can be fast as hell. The reason he had you in the beginning was because the STI is AWD. No traction loss like the GTO. And if he'd had a BOV and boost controller and other stuff, he would've blown your doors off (no offense). You have the LS2 right?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 02:14 AM

I raced and beet an Acura RSX 6 speed a week or so ago, there was no contest. I also raced a 92 Mustang Gt a few weeks ago and gave him the jump because I thought I would blow him away, wrong. Big Mike is right, give it all every time cause you never know when a modded stang is going to make you look like crap

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 AM

My route to work is down a 4 lane street with 5 stop lights spaced about a mile apart - makes for a great morning commute. Over the last few weeks I have only lost once - to a 93 Toyota Supra and I have killed the following:

Acura Integra, VW R32, Caddy STS (older model), mid 90's Trans AM, 05 Mustang GT.

We usually start from a stop and go up to about 80 if traffic (and the cops) will allow.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Dubber,

Yes, I have the LS2 with no mods yet. I'm at about 1000 miles so still working on loosening up the engine. I am starting to feel it gain some hp. I agree with toolman, give it all off the line as you don't know what mods others have. I can just see the day when I get burned by a Geo Metro or something, LOL. You never know. Anyway, being a former Mustang owner, I know unless you come across one with serious mods, you will beat them every time. Now, when the Shelby comes out in 2006 then you may have to watch out.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:34 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The Shelby will be easy to take out as the guys that buy those wont know how to launch them. EASY kills......
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:55 AM

Civic from hell

I had a good run this morning. And believe it or not it was a Civic. Yeah I know....a civic. I was on Blanding Blvd (6 lanes...speed limit 45). He pulled up next to me and I hear the blow off valve. He is revving the lawn mower up to like 3000 RPM and it sounds like ****. I don't even take off at the first light. He does though and really burns up the tires on his fwd car. I was impressed. So at the next light We do run. I lost traction worse than he did in 1st. second gear I pulled 1/2 a length and in third I pull two cars on him. Keep in mind I am bone stock and this is a Civic. We kill after that becasue he was losing bad at that point.

We pull off to a gas station and he shows me under the hood. He had a 12psi procharger and 100 shot of nitrous. He used both to keep within two lengths of me. He is going to come to the dealership later today so I can take pictures of his setup. I do have to hand it to him his setup was very clean considering it was on a 4cyl.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:02 AM
big_mike

kid was probably pushing about 350 with both on his ride!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 AM

that was what I thought as well if theturbo was giving that much. He was really pissed that I took him so soundly. Especially when I told him that I was bone stock. he could not believe it. But he was a gracious loser, unlike most people that lose to the goat.

I am buying him lunch. I have to admit his car is "neat" at best. Completely riced out though. Has the racing seats and the HUGE sound system. Probably paid more for all the crap in his car than I did on my entire car.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 AM
big_mike

oh you can bet he did! A stock Honda block cant handle that kind of pressure so he probably has a rebuilt VTEC in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in