witnessed a good race last night - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
witnessed a good race last night

I'm on my way to work, late at night, work the dead man's shift with almost NOBODY on the interstate (which is how I ran 163 a couple times and NOT putting any other driver's life in danger...) anyways, I'm short on cash this week and was putzing along at 70 with the cruise control on to try and squeek an extra day or two outta my gas tank...

In my review I see 2 sets of headlights coming on me.....FAST. I'm thinking, ok, I'm out here in the middle of the bay on the bridge with nowhere to go, can't get out of the way, this could get ugly... At the last 2nd, the car behind me in my lane, zips over behind the other guy in the left lane and FLY by me.

The leader was a new body style (retro) mustang gt, the follower was a beautiful black SSR, assuming the LS1 or LS2 version, doubt very much it had the vortech in it. Anyways, they were following each other "playing" for so long at first I thought they were together/knew each other. I speed up to investigate a bit. The stang had FL plates and the SSR had AL plates, so I assumed they didn't know each other. It seemed the stang was playing with the SSR, would get about 10 cars on him and slow up, then get side by side almost, and he'd take off again. He wasn't blowing the SSR's doors off by any means, but a steady gradual pull away.

There was just enough distance between the 2 that I was able to pull up beside the SSR. When I did that the stang must've downshifted cuz there were no brake lights and I was right on his ass, but he paced the the SSR so I couldn't get in front of the SSR and up beside the stang in the opposite lane. We got into traffic and slowed up and went through the tunnel coming out on the other side where 2 lanes changed to 5.

I DID get up beside the stang, almsot scared, figuring he was modded for bear playing with the SSR like that. He didn't make a move. Wouldn't even look at me. We rolled on for about 3 miles, I pulled away from him running about 10 over the speed limit to see if he'd speed up and play with me. It never happend. I had to get off at the next exit and go to work, mad as hell I didn't try to get up to their speed when I saw them in my rear view to run along side the stang instead of letting him blow by me and missing out on what could have been a fun opportunity.

I will say this though, I know those SSRs are like 347,000 pounds with no driver and an empty gas tank and people give them a hard time for slower accelerating speeds and all, but on their upper end, rolling down the interstate, they can haul ass.

Last edited by dustyminpin; 10-01-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

By the way, does anybody know if there is a physical way to tell the difference between the SSRs and their 3 different motors, to have a better idea of what you're dealing with (ie different tail lights or badges or whatever?)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Nope, no way to tell. No different emblems or anything. Just verified in our parts catalog and there's nothing you can go by.

'Guru

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 PM

The SSR has 2 different motors. The 2004 SSR has a 5.3 liter truck motor that is 300hp. The 2005 Got the LS2 rated at 395. Either one isn't fast, the LS2 is quick. That's the problem, as you say, about having a 5000 lb vehicle. It takes insane hp to make it somewhere near acceptable.

My guess is you saw a 6.0 LS2 SSR. The 5.3 Liter tops out around 125-130.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I thought they snuck the LS1 in there one year, guess I was wrong.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 01:04 AM

i stopped reading after ssr. yuck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsguru1 View Post
Nope, no way to tell. No different emblems or anything. Just verified in our parts catalog and there's nothing you can go by.

'Guru
The '06 SSRs have a GMC badge on the lower front fenders behind the wheel. Only 2 engines '03-'04 5.3 liter, '05-'06 6.0 liter. I had an '04, loved it and traded it for an '06 for the extra ponies.
Our SSR site was down today, so I wondered over here. Don't wish to interrupt.
Its true our trucks are plagued with 5000 lbs. (mine also has another 600 lbs of tools in the back), but they're still a kick to drive. On an SSR caravan back to the Super Springfield Run, I pulled out of line in an all clear section of I-40 just west of the Texas border and ran my '06 to 138 verified by GPS. She had more, but I was concerned about 128 mph-rated Goodyears. Another member blew by me at that speed.
While at the drag races in Springfield, some members ran their trucks and I think the best time was 13.5 for a supercharged (Magnacharger) truck done by a woman who was driving her husband's newly "charged" truck for the first time ! ! We have a lot of fun going to RUNS all over the country. Enjoy your goats. Should be very competitive with the LS-2 and 1500 less lbs. ! !

Last edited by WearyEagle; 11-20-2007 at 12:41 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:39 AM

I was reading in a tech magazine that the 5.3 is the same shortblock as a LS1 with a smaller stroke and smaller heads. They also use a different throttle body to make up for clearances from the front radiator fan.

Point being if you have a GM 5.3 in your truck, LS1 bolts work perfectly with few or no adjustments to your engine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 AM

Dont be so hard on the SSR's

As a former SSR owner an 06 " Black on Black 6-speed, Flow master cat back, custom tune in computer, cold air intake and 4:56 gears in the rear, she suprised a few BMW and Rice burners. they are on the chunky side but the 4700 lb curb weight felt really good at 120+. 160 once. I actually sold it to buy a new GTO before they were all gone, and I havent missed her once. bone stock the GTO performance is killer. I'm glad I made the change...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper.x611 View Post
I was reading in a tech magazine that the 5.3 is the same shortblock as a LS1 with a smaller stroke and smaller heads. They also use a different throttle body to make up for clearances from the front radiator fan.

Point being if you have a GM 5.3 in your truck, LS1 bolts work perfectly with few or no adjustments to your engine.
any ls series engine should fit pretty easily even an L92. ls4 might be a little bit more work though since it's for fwd applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in