User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
1965 GTO Brake issues

Hello Guys, I was wondering if you can shed some light on an interesting issue i have with my GTO's manual drum brakes. Car sat for many years so the master cyl froze up and broke. I bought a replacement (re-manufacture) but found many issues along the way. I replaced all wheel cylinders, all new brake lines up front as well as the distro block. No the issue is the pedal is real hard and does not slow the car as i would hope. I know they are drum, but i would need to literally stand on the pedal to make the car stop. Any Ideas? I have bled the system so i don't think it has air in there. I am leaning towards the master cyl but i am confident as i just replaced it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
If you do a "Search" within the forums, you will find much about brakes and problems. Personally, I never buy the premium shoes as the material is too hard and will not stop so well. I always get the cheapest set as they are seemingly softer and stop better.

It could be you are too used to todays featherlite brake pedal feel and instant stopping. Drum brakes are harder to stop and do require more foot pressure. This is why many do a disc brake conversion as well as add the dual reservoir master cylinder for both better stopping and safety sake. Make sure you keep a safe distance and be ready to pull a downshift in emergency situations to help braking.

Other than that, it could be a number of things, so search our forums to get a few ideas.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks, I will look around, but these brakes are horrible. Worse than manual drum should.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Drive it to a couple of rapid stops, then get out and either feel or shoot the temp of the brake drums with a pyrometer. If you have one or more cool drums, the brakes are not applying on that wheel. You could also get the car in the air, and have someone step on the brake and see if you can turn the wheels. To me, it sounds like you have either a port restriction in your master, or a line blockage. High, firm pedal and no stopping usually means a blockage somewhere, unless your shoes are glazed badly.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Drive it to a couple of rapid stops, then get out and either feel or shoot the temp of the brake drums with a pyrometer. If you have one or more cool drums, the brakes are not applying on that wheel. You could also get the car in the air, and have someone step on the brake and see if you can turn the wheels. To me, it sounds like you have either a port restriction in your master, or a line blockage. High, firm pedal and no stopping usually means a blockage somewhere, unless your shoes are glazed badly.
thanks Geeteeohguy. It is a high hard pedal. the brakes did bleed as normal. i would not think there is a blockage.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Primary and Secondary shoes in the correct position? Did my S-10 pick-up rear brakes about 2 months ago with the right side wanting to lock up on me when I applied brakes. Found the the Primary and Secondary were backwards which might have been part of the problem.

Could even be the "remanufactured" master cylinder. If you got it at the local parts store, they often sell generic stuff where one size fits all.........and doesn't. You might want to consider having your original rebuilt by a competent rebuilder to ensure the master is not your problem. We see "remanufactured" and even "new - Made in China" parts that are bad from day one only to replace it with another "new" bad piece.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
K sometimes return springs on the shoes and or a sticking binding wheel cylinder can cause the shoes not to properly return. they stay almost deployed and not much room to press down....I would relook at your spring hardware and wheel cylinders. Pat attention to any wheel that drum is hard to take off,.... as it may not be returning properly. If you have it stuck up it would feel hard, and not deploy against the drum properly.

also make sure you are getting all for wheels to deploy...if you are only getting the rear two...you have about 35% of braking power, and it will feel like it does not want to stop....so make all are working correctly
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Primary and Secondary shoes in the correct position? Did my S-10 pick-up rear brakes about 2 months ago with the right side wanting to lock up on me when I applied brakes. Found the the Primary and Secondary were backwards which might have been part of the problem.

Could even be the "remanufactured" master cylinder. If you got it at the local parts store, they often sell generic stuff where one size fits all.........and doesn't. You might want to consider having your original rebuilt by a competent rebuilder to ensure the master is not your problem. We see "remanufactured" and even "new - Made in China" parts that are bad from day one only to replace it with another "new" bad piece.
Early on when i was t/s this issue i did mix up the pads. I had the "bigger" pad in front. I double checked and corrected. I feel the same about the master cyl. I was desperate to get the car to stop somehow so made in China had to do. I did replace one before with no issues. I an gonna look at that

Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
they were brand new wheel cyl. Doesnt mean they are free from defects but i need to look over the whole system again
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder before putting it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in