1972 fuel tank and pick up - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
1972 fuel tank and pick up

Who makes a quality stock fuel tank and a correct sender to go with it? I bought a Canadian made Spectra fuel tank. It's suppose to be the tank of choice. But, the baffle inside the tank is spot welded about an inch too close that the fuel sending unit float hits it. I also ordered a Spectra fuel sender to go with it, and that was different looking than stock with the float at a slight angle causing the float to hit baffle before I could drop sender all the way down. So, I ordered a Dorman that should fit and pics looked like my original. Well, when dropped into tank, the tab for locating it on tank points the pickup and return line tubes to be at a slight angle rather than straight forward like stock. As well as causing the float to hit baffle in tank. If the tubes could face straight forward, the float would parallel the baffle and maybe not hit. URGH!! What have others used and is compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
Who makes a quality stock fuel tank and a correct sender to go with it? I bought a Canadian made Spectra fuel tank. It's suppose to be the tank of choice. But, the baffle inside the tank is spot welded about an inch too close that the fuel sending unit float hits it. I also ordered a Spectra fuel sender to go with it, and that was different looking than stock with the float at a slight angle causing the float to hit baffle before I could drop sender all the way down. So, I ordered a Dorman that should fit and pics looked like my original. Well, when dropped into tank, the tab for locating it on tank points the pickup and return line tubes to be at a slight angle rather than straight forward like stock. As well as causing the float to hit baffle in tank. If the tubes could face straight forward, the float would parallel the baffle and maybe not hit. URGH!! What have others used and is compatible?

So when you contacted Spectra, what did they tell you the problem was?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

They said the baffle was probably welded in the wrong place and the tank could be returned. I got a third sender from National Parts Depot (they said they have Spectra tanks and they fit). I tried it and it was very close to hitting. The baffle on the Spectra is unlike the original. The original is welded to the bottom. The Spectra has a gap about an inch off the bottom of tank and it can be pushed around. I stuck a large screw driver in the tank and pushed the baffle away from the sender and all is good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
They said the baffle was probably welded in the wrong place and the tank could be returned. I got a third sender from National Parts Depot (they said they have Spectra tanks and they fit). I tried it and it was very close to hitting. The baffle on the Spectra is unlike the original. The original is welded to the bottom. The Spectra has a gap about an inch off the bottom of tank and it can be pushed around. I stuck a large screw driver in the tank and pushed the baffle away from the sender and all is good.
Thanks for the follow-up. So it sounds like the bottom line is that the Spectra gas tank might not be a good choice for a Pontiac. Good that they would take it back, BUT, it costs you the shipping which most expect you to cover. You also lost money on the sending unit which it too sounded like it was a poor copy of the original sender.

So all in all, Spectra products get a negative review.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

In the end, I was able to return two senders that hit and made the one from National Parts depot work and kept the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in