66 GTO conv. rear brake drums - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 GTO conv. rear brake drums

Now that I have replaced the entire brake system, it is time for new drums. I have found all kinds all over the internet. My questions is: Is there a particular set that I should be looking at? in other words, is one kind, or brand, better than another? Also, I have read that on a 66 conv. they should be painted red... any thoughts would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I suspect you have drums all around and did not convert the front to discs? Drums are not the favored choice for good stopping power, but if keeping the car original, it's understandable.

Pinion head is the expert on wheel drums. He uses them on his restored cars, but has them treated to greatly improve their stopping power. Brake shoes are also critical to good stopping power. Personally, I stay away from the "lifetime" types or metallics as they are generally very hard materials and work best when they get hot, not so good when cold/cool. I have always used the cheapest shoe/pad I can get as they seem to be softer and work better for general driving and DON'T wear our your drums/rotors like the harder metallic type linings do - that's why they give you "lifetime" shoes/pads because they are going to wear out the drums/discs and you will have to buy new ones and that's where the shops/parts guys make their money.

Hopefully PH will respond, or PM him. He has mentioned what he runs on his cars with drums on several posts in answering other brake questions. You might do a search and try to find a post having the info.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
They would be painted red if the car came with Rally 1 wheels. Try to get good used or any made in USA drums. Avoid offshore stuff if you can. If your drums are still thick enough, they can be machined to perform like new.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been converted to front disk and every component except the drums are new.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdavis View Post
It has been converted to front disk and every component except the drums are new.
OK, then follow geeteeohguys advise.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
New US cast and machined 9.5" brake drums, where???
Not going to happen, new, unless one finds NOS or NORS drums made many years ago.

Through the 90's, into the 00's pulled select alum rear drums in the Pick -N-Pulls and crusher yards off 80's G body's, some 3rd Gen F body's, and even quite a few Cadillacs & Buricks. Only thick drums, if scored, didn't grab them.
On my own rear drum Pontiacs, that's what Ive had lightly turned, had cryoed, and have rebuilt backing plates with new wheel cylinders, stiffer return springs, and the special matrix brake shoes from Praise Dyno, now MusclecarBrakes.com. Also have numerous thick cast iron drums that have pulled off parts cars. Nothing wrong with running cast iron originals if they are thick, in my own cases, am trying to save rearend reciprocating weight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
DW, you need to mic your drums and see if they can be turned. If so, you are much better off than with 'new' Chinese stuff. Old parts are not necessarily bad parts. On the contrary. They are USA made of quality materials. If maintained and not gouged out by being driven with metal-to-metal brakes, they can and do run for 100's of thousands of miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in