66 GTO Front Disc Conversion Kit - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 GTO Front Disc Conversion Kit

Anyone use the OPGI front disc brake upgrade kit for 14" wheels for a 66 GTO? Wondering if the parts are good quality and if there are any fitment issues.

https://www.opgi.com/gto/1966/brake-...rakes/CH28690/

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to the forum and just bought the OPGI drum disc kit for 14" wheels that you refer to for my '65. It should arrive tomorrow and be installed next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I had 4 drums and power. This SSBC kit uses your own spindles and needs a proporioning valve which I also purchased from them for another $63. This $707 conversion kit is made by Stainless Steel Brake Company (SSBC). The Right Stuff kit was cheaper but I had more confidence in this one and did not want to compromise where safety is a concern.

I'm doing springs, shocks, headers and front end and knew it was just the right time to try the drum to disc conversion. I bought the car with worn out air shocks that were likely placed to compensate for sagging springs. So, I am also going with Belltech OEM height Musclecar springs that are not proportional and Bilstein shocks to try to get some clearance for the rear wheels from the fenders. I have been looking to see if anyone has experience with them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Check the upper perches for the shocks for cracks, they are not designed for air shocks and putting the load on them instead of the springs will crack them so it is a good thing to get rid of them.
You will like the ride with the Bilstein shocks.
Headers are a PIA you might want to go with repop HO manifolds instead.
I don't know where you are located but I have a complete exhaust system for HO manifolds, it was new when I bought the car but I removed it and went with a Gardner repro system.
I have all the bolts and brackets to hang it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Parts 001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	82586  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks very much for the advise. I'm paying a good resto shop here in Pompano Beach, FL to deal with the headers.
I'm located in Ft. Lauderdale and am likely interested in the exhaust.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball389 View Post
Thanks very much for the advise. I'm paying a good resto shop here in Pompano Beach, FL to deal with the headers.
I'm located in Ft. Lauderdale and am likely interested in the exhaust.
I am on the opposite coast so shipping it as is would cost more than you could buy it for in Fla. unless I cut it up.
I don't really want to do that since it is ready to bolt up as is with all the hangers etc.
Eventually I will find someone local restoring a goat that will want it for 200 bucks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Thanks again. I already have a new set of Dougs D564 headers from Summit purchased and ready to go on and am likely fortunate that I am paying for the installation rather than DIY from what you tell me. This '65 convertible will be a driver once or twice a week taking my kids for a ride and to school and I just want it to ride well and be safe and your help and comments are greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 PM

The SSBC drum package from OPGI for 14" wheels worked well on my '65 without any fit issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in