User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
67 Drum Master Cylinder Question

Hi everyone,
I have a 1967 GTO with all drums and no power boost.
I recently noticed a drop in brake fluid. I keep a catch pan under the car (just in case!) and thought it was coming from the distribution block. After a thorough search I could not find anything leaking. I had my wife apply pressure to the pedal and immediately noticed a tiny squirt out of a hole on the passenger side of the master cylinder. The hole is about a 1/4 inch diameter and all the way at the back of the cylinder, just in front of the mounting flange. Is this a breather hole and the fluid is showing a seal failure (fluid leaking past the seals on the plunger)? Or did something loosen and fall out of that hole such as a set screw plug? I can't get a good look in there to see if it has threads or not and I could not feel any with a screwdriver tip. I also can not find a picture of the passenger side of a master cylinder online. Can anyone explain that hole? From what I can tell, it might be the original master cylinder so a failure would not be unexpected.
Also, rebuild or replace? I'm thinking the price of a new one is relatively low so I might replace and after the summer, rebuild the original. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Shouldn't be weeping, so you have a failure.

"New" is probably rebuilt, or more properly "remanufactured" meaning the bore has been cleaned up before reassembly. You can rebuild yours or go the "new" route, all the same in the end (unless there are date codes or some such you want to keep with an "all original" motif)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 AM

This master came off my 66' with the power boost. It does have a bleeder on the pass. side ... I installed a dual master with a set of discs on the front for safety reasons....Hope these pics help....J...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3441 (1).JPG
Views:	37
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	110082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3442.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	110090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3443.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	110098  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

JNYBOY,
Same location as your '66 but mine has no fitting in the hole as your picture shows. Maybe it fell out? The leak started suddenly and has not gotten worse. Hate to order a new one if it is just a fitting that loosened and fell out.
Good advice 64, will probably go the "new one " route unless it is just a fitting. Will check better tonight for threads in that hole.
Thanks all.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

This is the hole I am speaking of. The rear hole near the flange. It is on both sides of the unit. Almost looks like a locating hole for machining purposes so I'm really confused why fluid would come out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	110106   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (003).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	110114  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrizzly View Post
This is the hole I am speaking of. The rear hole near the flange. It is on both sides of the unit. Almost looks like a locating hole for machining purposes so I'm really confused why fluid would come out there.
....That hole should not be a source of a leak, as it is a hole that goes all the way through to the other side. Not a bleeder hole, and no fitting or threads in there. ...Sure of the source of the leak ?....Best, J
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Gong to double check that tonight! Weird. When the pedal was pushed it actually blew out of that hole. More investigating to come.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

So after a better look with more lighting it seems as if the leak is originating around the reservoir top where the cap sits. The gasket/diaphragm on the cap looks good and the bar seems to snap it down tightly. I started by cleaning everything I could around the master cylinder, topped of the reservoir and took it for a quick spin. When I came back it was slowly dripping at that same hole but I noticed the passenger side of the reservoir was wet from the top down. I had not noticed that before. Can that gasket/diaphragm be the issue or am I somehow creating too much pressure within the reservoir? Can that gasket/diaphragm just be replaced?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=supergrizzly;858098]So after a better look with more lighting it seems as if the leak is originating around the reservoir top where the cap sits. The gasket/diaphragm on the cap looks good and the bar seems to snap it down tightly. I started by cleaning everything I could around the master cylinder, topped of the reservoir and took it for a quick spin. When I came back it was slowly dripping at that same hole but I noticed the passenger side of the reservoir was wet from the top down. I had not noticed that before. Can that gasket/diaphragm be the issue or am I somehow creating too much pressure within the reservoir? Can that gasket/diaphragm just be replaced?

....The G/D sounds likely. Replace the diaphragm (Cheap, no effort fix)...too much pressure ?, No Way !
Make sure that your retaining spring/clamp is a tight fit. ....Good Luck !
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in