'67 GTO drum brake bleeding - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
'67 GTO drum brake bleeding

Expect to flush out the old fluid soon as the stuff in the master cylinder is brown. Lots of how to videos on youtube, and my brother will help. He's done this before on other cars. His question is what type of tool do we need to open up the bleeder valves. Regular open end wrench or something more specialized? We intend to do this on the ground. We have ramps but should we use them? Any and all hints welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They have a bleeder wrench for the wheel cylinders ...it's a 12 point closed end wrench..usually 2 diff sizes on one wrench...don't use an open end wrench..you will slip off the nipple and round it off...then you will be looking for the vise grips !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would spray the nipples with some PB Blaster or Wd 40 the day before.....just to help loosen them up too...ramps are good if your skinny and in shape too slide around....I would Jack it up and use Jack stands and take the wheels off .

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
If the fluid in the MC is really dirty I would clean that out first and put fresh fluid in it, don't run the dirty brake fluid through your lines and wheel cylinders.

I agree with Irishmic too.....no garage should be without a set of jack stands and a good hydraulic jack.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I did suck out the brown crap from the MC with a turkey baster (sorry honey) and replaced it with fresh. Haven't driven the car since. I made a promise to my wife when I turned 60 that I would no longer go under a car unless the tires were on the ground, or up on a roof. That said, if we do the rears first on jackstands I might bend the rules. After the nearby incident in the link below, I got a little skittish. Sometime afterwards a similar thing happened to an 80+ year old Houstonian under a VW bus. I guess VW has been trying to kill us well before the latest chaos (German word for mess).
woodlands man dies after trapped under car - Montgomery County Police Reporter
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I use a 6 point 1/4" drive deep socket to crack the bleeder loose then switch to a wrench.
Always use two supports, set the car on jack stands and leave the car on the floor jack once the weight is on the stands.
NEVER use cinder blocks, you see people do this ,it is foolish and they can fracture and drop the car on you.
If the car has sat for years you are better off pulling the master and rebuilding it and replacing/rebuilding the slaves.
Brakes are one thing you don't want to go cheap on.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, GR. Car is actively driven. MC and WC's are new within the past 4 years. Brakes are performing well. Will keep you all posted.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
X2 on six point only brake wrenches or sockets. Start at the passenger side rear, go to the driver's rear, pass front, and finish with the driver's front. Flush excess brake fluid off the drums and backing plates with plain water and you're good to go. I always gravity bleed my cars, but lots of folks like to use fancy Buck Rogers stuff. It's not needed, though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
X2 on six point only brake wrenches or sockets. Start at the passenger side rear, go to the driver's rear, pass front, and finish with the driver's front. Flush excess brake fluid off the drums and backing plates with plain water and you're good to go. I always gravity bleed my cars, but lots of folks like to use fancy Buck Rogers stuff. It's not needed, though.
Helpful hint.

I use a piece of hose from the nipple into a clear empty water bottle and gravity bleed like you from farthest to closest, you can see when the new stuff starts coming out.
Cap and toss the bottle and clean up is a wipe with a rag.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Helpful hint.

I use a piece of hose from the nipple into a clear empty water bottle and gravity bleed like you from farthest to closest, you can see when the new stuff starts coming out.
Cap and toss the bottle and clean up is a wipe with a rag.
Aha...another use for the empty bottles of Propel. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in