• 1 Post By PontiacJim
  • 1 Post By tjs72goat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
72 stock front sway bar

I need new rubber bushings for my stock front sway bar during my front end tear down/rebuild. My bar has never been off from what I can tell on this 60,000 original car. It is a sport convertible with T41 option front end. The bar measures around .920, almost 7/8 but not 1". I see earlier years offered 15/16". So, I ordered 15/16" rubber bushings. Now I'm wondering why the difference in bar thickness, and If I should just buy a new bar, since I plan on putting a rear one on (I welded the box plates to the rear control arms during frame rebuild).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
I need new rubber bushings for my stock front sway bar during my front end tear down/rebuild. My bar has never been off from what I can tell on this 60,000 original car. It is a sport convertible with T41 option front end. The bar measures around .920, almost 7/8 but not 1". I see earlier years offered 15/16". So, I ordered 15/16" rubber bushings. Now I'm wondering why the difference in bar thickness, and If I should just buy a new bar, since I plan on putting a rear one on (I welded the box plates to the rear control arms during frame rebuild).
If I had to guess, it was due to the increased weight over the years. The cars got heavier. So the larger diameter sway bars were sized accordingly.

A larger diameter bar will lessen body roll. Larger front bar may also require the corresponding sway bar mounting brackets - not 100% sure, but when I sized my front bar up, that was what I did.

Do you plan on running high speeds, racing into corners, or beating on your car?

Before I went and invested in a larger diameter front sway bar, I would add the polyurethane bushings and end links. They are stiffer in material than rubber and can tighten up the suspension due to less deflection of the bushing - this way you can use what you have and save a few $$. If you feel you want more, then step up to a larger diameter sway bar.

Here is the correct bushings for a 7/8" dia sway bar: https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-gto/95108e Then get your end links.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I just plan on casual cruising. I see that link actually specifies up to 72 for those 7/8" bushings. Ames doesn't. It seems as if the 7/8" wasn't used on the front of 72 according to Ames. Confusing.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:25 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just plan on casual cruising. I see that link actually specifies up to 72 for those 7/8" bushings. Ames doesn't. It seems as if the 7/8" wasn't used on the front of 72 according to Ames. Confusing.
Yep, sometimes what the parts supplier lists in their details are not always correct or accurate. If in doubt, I always email them to confirm so if it is wrong by some chance, there is no argument over the part and guess who will be paying freight charges if they are wrong.

I would just make sure your diameter measurements are correct. You don't want a bushing that has a larger diameter than your sway bar as it will be too loose and too tight and it won't fit.

So my choice would be to go with the polyurethane bushings with your stock sway bar and think you should be OK with that for casual driving. This will tighten things up a bit and improve handling over the stock rubber bushings, but not be too stiff like stepping up to a larger diameter sway bar. So your call on it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would spend the money and get 1.25 swaybar for the front. There will be a noticable difference in handling, you will love it, I did.

Joe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the discussion of bigger isn't always better. It can cause handling issues. I don't have a rear bar yet, but set myself up for one and won't overdo it to cause handling issues. I used my caliper and the bar varies from about .890 to .920 because of paint on it yet. I knew if I ordered a bushing set for 7/8" I'd never get them on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen the discussion of bigger isn't always better. It can cause handling issues. I don't have a rear bar yet, but set myself up for one and won't overdo it to cause handling issues. I used my caliper and the bar varies from about .890 to .920 because of paint on it yet. I knew if I ordered a bushing set for 7/8" I'd never get them on.
I got a 1.25" bar from a junkyard (pick-your-part) Trans Am and polyurethane bushings, the rear bar was stock on the 1970 and boxed control arms - you should get one.
The handling issues are not a problem, the roll center of the suspension is the next weak link in handling.

I love the slot car feel of the steering, with the urethane bushings on A-arms and sway bar - I have end links with plastic domed inserts and they do not deflect under load.

Last edited by 7TGoat; 10-24-2019 at 12:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I got a correct set of polyurethane Energy suspension front sway bar bushings to fit the front bar. I also have the same material for the end links. So, it should perform better than stock. New rear bar will be next to round out the renewed suspension.
7TGoat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in