Can the Exhaust Manifolds on a 69 GTO be replaced with the engine in the car? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can the Exhaust Manifolds on a 69 GTO be replaced with the engine in the car?

Hi Guys, Dumb question time..

I need to replace the manifold gaskets on my 69 GTO & whilst Im at it I may as well swap out the very old & rusty manifolds, but looking at it in the garage last night Im starting to wonder if I can do this with the engine in the car? Looking at the passenger side anyway between the A/C compressor, the oil filter setup, the trans cooler lines & the crossmember Im not so sure that I can actually get to all the bolts & get the manifold out.

Any tips?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Yes, the manifolds can be removed in the car. First, will need to spray the lwr studs & nuts with a good penetrating oil. Next, the AC compressor can then be loosened & removed from its mounting large alum bracket, lwr bracket, & rear brace. The compressor can stay hooked up to the lines, but it will need to be loosened & very carefully slid over & set on a slope on an old thick towel on the passenger side inner fender (expect to have to strap it outboard). The inner AC box cover may need to be carefully removed as well to reach the rear ex manifold bolt head. On the drivers side, good chance will have to remove the steering column intermediate shaft. On the bolts attaching the ex manifolds to the heads, examine the bolt heads to see if the original stamped steel tab type ex manifold bolt locks are in place. If so, the tabs will need to pried back so a 6 point 9/16" socket & 6 point box wrench end wrench can be firmly attached to the bolt heads .I usually rapp the bolt heads with a large ball peen hammer, this helps jar the threads. Having pulled literally hundreds on Pontiac V8 heads, using this method, have broken next to no exhaust manifold bolts. Being careful, it's an afternoon job with hand tools.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the detailed response, Pinion head, really appreciated... I was having a good look again last night beer in hand & I was thinking it looked as though the steering column shaft would be in the way, so you've confirmed that. The bearing in my AC compressor is very noisy & needs replacing so I was actually thinking of getting the gas removed from the system by a local AC place here & removing the Compressor to be repaired at the same time as doing this job, that would give me much more room & make my life a lot easier.... failing that I'll just follow the steps you've outlined.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in