To Convert to Disc Brakes or Not - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To Convert to Disc Brakes or Not

I have a 98% stock, numbers matching, low optioned 1968 GTO "survivor" that has manual drum brakes front and rear. To say the least, it is an adverture to stop it. I bought it to drive but do not want to ruin its investment value. Here is a question for discussion: How much will it de-value the car if I keep it otherwise stock but retrofit it with a power booster and front disk brakes. I would clean and save all the original parts that I take off of the car when converting it.

I welcome opinions, comments and advice.

Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joe,

You would be doing yourself and any future owner a big favor by installing disc brakes. It should not have any effect for any show purposes. I put disc brakes on my '67 and it really makes a difference.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Joe,
I just joined this evening and thought I would offer this. I am the original owner of a '67 with manual drums ( how could they let this happen?). I am starting to restore the goat and found it (for me) very expensive to convert the system. Why not just add a power assist to the existing system? It seems like a much more economical way out.

By the way, what does matching numbers mean? My car has the orig. engine and auto. trans. What else could be matching?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtolvr
Joe,
I just joined this evening and thought I would offer this. I am the original owner of a '67 with manual drums ( how could they let this happen?). I am starting to restore the goat and found it (for me) very expensive to convert the system. Why not just add a power assist to the existing system? It seems like a much more economical way out.

By the way, what does matching numbers mean? My car has the orig. engine and auto. trans. What else could be matching?

To 67gtolvr;

You are lucky - I wish that I still had my highly optioned 68 GTO that I bought at Broad Street Pontiac in Newark NJ in 1968. I sold it for my first of many Corvettes in 1970. I loved that car but was lured away by a Corvette convertible. The GTO had power drum brakes. They were much better than my present car's non power drum brakes. It stopped pretty well but I do remeber a lot of brake fade.

Adding power assist does seem to make sense, but most catalogs that sell replacement power boosters do not recommend it. I do not know why. I'll research it via the GTOAA experts and via companies that sell the boosters.

Regarding numbers matching: In 1968 and later Pontiac stamped the last 8 digits of the VIN number on the front of the block and on the trans so for these later GTO's it is easy to verify it is the original engine and trans (that would be a numbers matching car). For earlier cars you need to be sure that the casing dates on the block, intake manifold, carburetor, etc are relatively close to the build date of the car (on the info tag that has the VIN, paint codes, plant of mfg, etc.) and the block casting ID (e.g. WT means 350hp with manual trans) matches the PHS build records. You can also replace missing original parts (tossed away when the car was serviced or traded in as cores) with parts that are have the right manufacturing dae (like I need to do for my missing Quadrajet carburetor).

You are in a very good position, being the original owner of a car with the original engine and trans you can prove have a numbers matching car with service records.

With a 1967 and earlier a person could "counterfit" a numbers matching car by finding an engine and trans with the correct casting dates. Ir sometimes thay maching away the incorrect number a re-stamp it with the "correct" number. Unfortunately, this is done a lot of times to counterfit Corvettes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Are they power or manual disc brakes?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:59 PM

brake conversion

i also have a 1968 gto with drums. I have bot a set of spindles and J brackets to convert to discs. I would be interested in the part numbers you obtain and if you are going to go with the single (69) or dual (68) calipers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 06:58 PM

If you're going to do the disc brake conversion, I think you'll be happier with the 1969 and later single piston calipers than the 1968 four piston calipers. The 1968 units did not float, so the pistons had to move in and out to accomodate any rotor runout. Additionally, the fluid crossover holes in them were really too small to allow rapid enough fluid flow.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Joe,
I have heard of a company out there that sells special drum shoes that suppose to work as good as a STANDARD single caliper disc system. I believe they adverstise in Hotrod or Hemming Muscle Car Review. I preffer disc myself, but my car is not number matching.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68gto-Joe
I have a 98% stock, numbers matching, low optioned 1968 GTO "survivor" that has manual drum brakes front and rear. To say the least, it is an adverture to stop it. I bought it to drive but do not want to ruin its investment value. Here is a question for discussion: How much will it de-value the car if I keep it otherwise stock but retrofit it with a power booster and front disk brakes. I would clean and save all the original parts that I take off of the car when converting it.

Thanks

Joe
Converting to discs will not affect value one way or another. It may make the car more desireable when you sell causing it sell quicker. No potential buyer is going to come check out the car and say -nice car but no thanks, I'd buy it if it still had the tiny drums on it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68gto-Joe

Thanks

Joe
I have a 68 as well & converted to front disc a few years back (used the Original Parts Group SS brakes kit). Conversion went without problems and I was amazed at the difference. Felt like a different car! Last year I also converted to rear discs - (this was more of a pain as I ended up having to take the rear out entirely to replace the thrust washers that fell out of my Moroso diff. when the axles were out!). They look great, matching front & rear drilled discs, but there was no noticable difference in stopping power by the addition of the rears. Also, the parking brake has nowhere near the holding power of the drums so keep this in mind if you are considering doing the same. I would say rear disc conversion is a "looks only" thing. BTW, if anybody wants to buy my old complete F&R power drum set let me know... everything has LT 500 miles wear (except spindles which are original)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in