Thanks for all the feedback and excellent new resources. I found another illustration my GTO restoration guide by Paul Zazarine and Zazarine, Charles Roberts. The setup looks like mine, so I think it just may be an issue with having the wrong actuator link/rod. It's not obvious in the picture of my brakes, but it's the front. I can't see much difference between front and rear, but all the parts books/sites specify one or the other.
Ooops, my bad. Somehow I was thinking rear brakes - my Service Manual showed rear brakes as example. However, I did pull the drum on the rear-end I have and it is the same as the front, less the E-cable lever.
Here are pics of the '68 front brake set-up. I just pulled these.
shows the entire brake set-up.
Pic#2 shows where the spring & rod all connect.
Pic#3 pliers point to the "pivot" clip which goes under/through the Adjusting Lever and the springs & rod all attach to.
Pic#4 shows the rod, and its shape, which attaches to the "pivot" clip and then hooks at the top to the "guide." You can also see how the spring attaches at the same place on top at the "guide" and then to the brake shoe.
Pic#5 is a little closer shot.
Hopefully this should help. Now if you need me to disassemble anything and lay out the individual parts and take pics, let me know and I'll tear into it for you. Hopefully you can figure out your situation with the enclosed pics, but will do what is needed to get your car up and running again.