2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Drum Brake Auto Adjusters

I replaced the front brake shoes on my 67 GTO this past weekend. Since it had been a while since I replaced brake shoes, I thought it would be wise to take plenty of pictures before I removed any of the old parts. I noticed the auto adjuster lever didn't stay engaged with the adjuster's star wheel. I replaced the shoes and put everything back together paying close attention to the adjustment mechanism. All seemed to be as it should with the exception of the adjuster lever. Am I correct in thinking they lever should be in contact with the star wheel in order for it function properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6389.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	79466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Rick,
Yes the lever should be against the star.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
It appears the "blue" spring may be in the wrong place. It is pulling up on the lever. There should be a hole on the lever higher up & to the outside near the brake shoe above that small "return spring" shown under the lever. Positioned this way it pulls down on the lever, not up on it.

HINT: ALWAYS take a digital photo(s) of anything you disassemble - unless its already apart. This will always help in reassembly and I do this myself. Also, a factory chassis manual will provide you with many diagrams, pictures, and specs needed to repair, maintain, & rebuild your classic. They can be bought as reprints, on CD, or Ebay as original manuals. Best investment you can make if you plan on owning your car any length of time.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for confirming my thought that the lever should always be engaged with the adjuster wheel. I took pictures before and reassembled just as it was before, but obviously that doesn't mean it was correct. I have a factory manual for the car, but the pictures don't provide the necessary details. Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmpontiac View Post
Thanks for confirming my thought that the lever should always be engaged with the adjuster wheel. I took pictures before and reassembled just as it was before, but obviously that doesn't mean it was correct. I have a factory manual for the car, but the pictures don't provide the necessary details. Thanks for the input.
OK, good. My factory service manual for the '68 models is what I took a look at. If need be, I can scan an image of it and post. It clearly shows the hole in the adjuster where I feel that spring should go. Let me know and I'll put it up here.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again Jim, I did find a picture and it looks like a different set of hardware, specifically the adjusting lever. I'm attaching a picture of what I think it should look like. Please compare to your 68 manual if you don't mind. Ames has a hardware kit, but says the actuating rod is incorrect so use your old one. I'm starting to suspect the previous owner got these kits and ignored or didn't see the significance of using the new part. I will probably try to find hardware kits from a different vendor that looks more like the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake Adjuster.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	79626  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again Jim, I did find a picture and it looks like a different set of hardware, specifically the adjusting lever. I'm attaching a picture of what I think it should look like. Please compare to your 68 manual if you don't mind. Ames has a hardware kit, but says the actuating rod is incorrect so use your old one. I'm starting to suspect the previous owner got these kits and ignored or didn't see the significance of using the new part. I will probably try to find hardware kits from a different vendor that looks more like the attached picture.
Yep, that looks much like my service manual, minus a few parts not shown. The adjusting lever and spring look right. Where the spring attaches at the top, you really can't see it in your photo, but there is a piece called a "pivot" that appears to set behind the adjuster - at least in my Service Manual. Here is a neat color picture that looks like the diagram in my Service Manual https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/pro...oducts_id=8684

Here is a step-by-step rear brake rebuild/installation guide. Just click on the photos to enlarge. I think this might be of help. Drum brake assembly Photo Gallery by R Slaughter at pbase.com

I think I found the kit that might be in your set-up, again, looks like the spring hooks just as you have it. Inline Tube - The brake plumbing experts
Again, not like the factory Service Manual diagram or the color parts photo from above.

I have the rear-end out of my '68 as I put a Ford 9" in its place. I will pull off a drum and take a picture of what I have going on inside of it. This way you can see how it is set-up and how it works. This way you won't order any wrong parts. But I am thinking what you need is in the color step-by-step picture guide.

I just did a front disc brake conversion on my '68 Lemans project and everything went well until I went to install the caliper pins/bolts that hold the disc pads in place. Don't know what they sent with the kit, but they were definitely the wrong type and would not work. Had to get what I needed at my local auto store and even had to tell them what part number ('cause these guys don't know what they are doing anymore) - problem solved. Can only imagine if someone was doing this for the first time, they would probably have been stumped and not too happy. So sometimes things aren't what they should be or they are sometimes misrepresented when it comes to aftermarket stuff.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the feedback and excellent new resources. I found another illustration my GTO restoration guide by Paul Zazarine and Zazarine, Charles Roberts. The setup looks like mine, so I think it just may be an issue with having the wrong actuator link/rod. It's not obvious in the picture of my brakes, but it's the front. I can't see much difference between front and rear, but all the parts books/sites specify one or the other.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 PM

can you take a picture of the whole drum. It looks like the left shoe is not in the right spot(too far down & out)
rickmpontiac likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback and excellent new resources. I found another illustration my GTO restoration guide by Paul Zazarine and Zazarine, Charles Roberts. The setup looks like mine, so I think it just may be an issue with having the wrong actuator link/rod. It's not obvious in the picture of my brakes, but it's the front. I can't see much difference between front and rear, but all the parts books/sites specify one or the other.
Ooops, my bad. Somehow I was thinking rear brakes - my Service Manual showed rear brakes as example. However, I did pull the drum on the rear-end I have and it is the same as the front, less the E-cable lever.

Here are pics of the '68 front brake set-up. I just pulled these.

Pic #1 shows the entire brake set-up.
Pic#2 shows where the spring & rod all connect.
Pic#3 pliers point to the "pivot" clip which goes under/through the Adjusting Lever and the springs & rod all attach to.
Pic#4 shows the rod, and its shape, which attaches to the "pivot" clip and then hooks at the top to the "guide." You can also see how the spring attaches at the same place on top at the "guide" and then to the brake shoe.
Pic#5 is a little closer shot.

Hopefully this should help. Now if you need me to disassemble anything and lay out the individual parts and take pics, let me know and I'll tear into it for you. Hopefully you can figure out your situation with the enclosed pics, but will do what is needed to get your car up and running again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn5691.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	79633   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn5692.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	79641   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn5693.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	79649   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn5694.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	79657   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn5695.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	79665  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in