Goat Roper: The problem is I can't get the both of the lower compressor arms into the spring anywhere.
Shake: I rented the same thing from Auto Zone, but I couldn't get the square block, that holds the arms, through the lower shock hole.
I was able to get the top arms (end with the threaded block) of the the new, smaller compressor (looks like the one in the OPGI catalog, with the sloped shoulders instead of square block from everywhere else) on each side of the spring, but I couldn't get but one of the arms through the spring on the bottom part (no threaded block). I tried to compress with just one of the lower arms engaged on the spring, but the the whole compressor was cocked in the space so that the end of the screw shaft would't go through the upper shock mounting hole, making the shaft "bottom out" under the upper control arm.
I also tried sticking the compressor shaft down through the upper arm shock hole and catching the threaded part of the compressor arms, but could only get one arm of attached to one side of the spring. I was able to compress the spring and drop lower control arm down, but not enough to free the spring. Then, I thought about the problem I would have if I compressed he spring even more, to free the lower control arm. How would I release the spring from the upper control arm without shooting the spring when I loosened the compressor.
As I laid awake all night thinking about the problem, I came up with this: Perhaps the reason I can't get both lower compressor arms attached to the spring is because of after 50 years of compression the spring had sagged so much that I can't get the arm in. I'm going to try using a crow-bar to open the distance a little between two coils to get the arm in-between. I have to take the upper and lower control arms out because the ball joints are trashed from beating the heck out of them to get them loose. Took a pile fork and a 30 lbs sledge hammer for them to finally break loose! This has been beating me for two days now. The videos make it look so simple!