Gas tank and sender question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Gas tank and sender question

I ordered a stock Spectra gas tank and Spectra sending unit, The tank is GM34I and the sender is FG91D. The sender will not fit all the way into tank. The float is hitting on baffle of tank. My old tank had the baffles at least one inch further toward filler neck away from sender. The sender has the float at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the tubes. I thought buying Spectra I was buying the best tank out there. I only bought their sending unit because I figured they knew their own products would fit each other. Now I am not sure if the tank or sender needs to go back. Not sure what to order now. Anyone have similar issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
I ordered a stock Spectra gas tank and Spectra sending unit, The tank is GM34I and the sender is FG91D. The sender will not fit all the way into tank. The float is hitting on baffle of tank. My old tank had the baffles at least one inch further toward filler neck away from sender. The sender has the float at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the tubes. I thought buying Spectra I was buying the best tank out there. I only bought their sending unit because I figured they knew their own products would fit each other. Now I am not sure if the tank or sender needs to go back. Not sure what to order now. Anyone have similar issue?
You may just have received the wrong sender....Probably best just to call the seller

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
These tanks are touted as like original design. But, I know for a fact the baffle in the Spectra is not where the original is. Sad thing is, my old one on outside was very rusty. So, I figured inside was bad too. Pulled sender out and it is as clean as the new one. Not a spot of rust or filth. It had old gas in it (maybe a gallon) for about 20 years sitting in car. So, I figured it needed replacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in