Long cranking after sitting 1 week cure? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Long cranking after sitting 1 week cure?

My 72 cranks for a long time to start after sitting for a week,. I know this is a common issue with the fuel evaporating and the bowls are dry.
Once the car is started - it will re-start hot of cold immediately.... for a few days.... I just dont drive it daily.

I was wondering how does anyone else with this issue deal with it? Do you just crank it a few times for a few seconds?
Small squirt bottle with gas, fill up the bowl first ?
Electric fuel pump?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Same issue with me, though generally longer than a week. I just crank it for 4-5 seconds, then pump the pedal twice and it fires right up
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11th Indian View Post
My 72 cranks for a long time to start after sitting for a week,. I know this is a common issue with the fuel evaporating and the bowls are dry.
Once the car is started - it will re-start hot of cold immediately.... for a few days.... I just dont drive it daily.

I was wondering how does anyone else with this issue deal with it? Do you just crank it a few times for a few seconds?
Electric fuel pump?

Thanks!
Electic fuel pump back at the tank seems to be the best solution assuming no cracked rubber lines sucking air, dirty fuel filter, problem with a fuel line, etc..

Ethanol in the gas is the problem. The gas will evaporate when sitting long periods. Common problem. My brother added the electric fuel pump to 2 of his older cars and it solved the issue as well as hot start issues. You don't need a huge killer pump and you want to keep your factory fuel pump to act as a regulator.

If you do a search of th forums you will find other answers/ideas as this has been covered several times.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
X2 on the part time electric pusher pump. This works if your accelerator pump will squirt gas. If not, you'll need to pour or squirt a little gas into the primaries, by hand. My last bracket car had a RobbMc mechanical pump, only. So, when cold, I poured in a little gas from a small plastic bottle.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks guys...
Going to try the squirt bottle with gas first, ifs thats a PIA, then the electric pump near the tank.

On a previous car I had an electric pump and a pre -oiler. Was like having a preflight check list.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11th Indian View Post

Electric fuel pump?
Install An electric pump, hook it up to your key, if it's sits a while Turin the key on for a few second then crank her up.. ofcourse, you will want a filter before the pump, and use a relay, and perhaps a return line and a regulator.. it don't sound to simple now..
There are pumps that don't require a return line..or regulator but I would use a relay....
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I dont know about an electric pump and the mechanical pump hooked up in tandem...

here is my experience ....

1988-89 ..... early summer.... girlfriend has 81 Z-28 with a warmed up 350 th350 t top last of the cool body style...

615 am ,,, her car is under the carport in front of the house and time to go to work.... I am lockin up the house

to leave also ...

I hear her crank it over and BOOOOOOOM !!!!!!! house windows shook ...my horns honkin on my 68 gto alarm is goin off..

sounded like a quarter stick of dyno just went off !!

I whip the front door open and look towards the carport.... I see the neighbor stoner kid flyin out his open bedroom window and rollin into the front yard in his undies .... yellin WTF !!!

my girlfriends sittin in the car with smoke rollin out from under the hood ... by the windshield and fender gaps and under the car
I have to peel her hands off the wheel ....

ran to the kitchen for a fire extinguisher .... as shes just screaming in the front yard with the neighbor

by now his parents are outside as we all left for work around the same time..

I pop the hood ... NO FIRE .. but 1 morroso valve cover is layin on the inner fender totally ripped off the engine
and the other has 2 T bolts
bearly holdin it on .... WTF ???

well the electric pump blew a hole in the diafram in the mechanical pump and pumped fuel into the crank case

with the mallory ignition and sittin overnite and the fumes building up .... it blew the valve covers off when she tried

starting it

timing cover was all swollen and the oil pan too .... had to pull the motor .... swap the m out too

I still have one of the heavy steel wide valve cover bolt spreader bars ,,, on a key chain bent up at a mild V shape

so .............

I dont think I will ever do it ... have both electric and manual together....

but ..............

Scott

just my .02 sense worth
john23 and Stereolab42 like this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
BLK69JUDGE fun story, thanks
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holley Sniper EFI. You’ll never have starting problems again. This also includes an electric pump btw.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Electric fuel pumps are also noisy. I have one on a non Pontiac vehicle. How is your choke working?? On my '71 GTO, I converted the choke to electrical and the motor does start better after sitting a while. I was experiencing some problems similar to yours. If you do install an electric pump, do you plan on keeping it on continuously or just when you want to start the car after sitting a while?? If you do use it just for starting, in addition to possibly putting it on a relay, wouldn't you also have to install a toggle switch to control on and off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in