Proportioning valve - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Proportioning valve

Can the newer style proportioning valve be used on the frame at an angle where the stock one resided? I know they generally get mounted by the master cylinder. I just wonder about the shuttle valve if it ever has to be centered for some reason, it wouldn't be easily accessible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
There's a lot of confusion about the various 'valves' and stuff that were in the brake systems on these cars. It didn't help that GM did different things in different years. For front disc cars in some years there was a hold off valve, a proportioning valve, and a distribution block/valve. The hold off valve's job was to prevent the rear brakes from locking up before the front brakes were working. The proportioning valve balanced braking action between front and rear, and the distribution block's only function was to act as a switch to detect a pressure imbalance between front and rear and turn on a light if one was detected. It's main job was to alert you to the possibility of a leak in either the front or rear brake system in cars that had dual master cylinders. That's the brass more or less rectangular block that mounts down low on the inside of the driver's side frame rail and has a wire connection "in the middle". The distribution block/switch works off of brake line hydraulic pressure, which is considerable - so mounting it at an angle instead of "flat" shouldn't be a problem if that's what you're asking.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Thanks Bear. Yes, I wondered if the shuttle valve can inadvertently slide before brakes are bleed and have pressure applied if mounting at an angle. It would be cumbersome to get to in the stock area if a problem. And yes, I guess that would be a distribution block.
It's odd the stock one mounted on the frame was just for a light. I couldn't bleed my brakes because nothing would go through this. My understanding is, if front or rear detects a leak or pressure difference, the shuttle valve moves to cut that system off so you still have brakes and not lose all pressure/fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in